GDT - Devils vs Senators 2/21/17

NJDfan1711

Rematch time.  Well, not quite, because we get Craig Anderson this time.  I hope Cory doesn't have to stand on his head tonight only to get no goal support again.  I haven't heard if Cammalleri is back tonight.  I kinda expect him to be, but who knows, we did score 3 and 4 goals in the last two games without him.

This one isn't gonna be easy to win, but we should still be a confident bunch because they're scoring more lately and realistically they've strung together more wins lately than they have losses, particularly regulation ones at that (and at home, too).   I really don't want to see us back to .500 tonight if we were to lose.  That would just be kinda deflating to be honest.  26-24-10 would be a little more appealing.  

3 days off after today, then we have a pretty touch schedule coming up against the Rags, Canadiens, Caps, and Bruins.  That will really tell us what this team is made of.

Let's Go Devils.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Rematch time.  Well, not quite, because we get Craig Anderson this time.  I hope Cory doesn't have to stand on his head tonight only to get no goal support again.  I haven't heard if Cammalleri is back tonight.  I kinda expect him to be, but who knows, we did score 3 and 4 goals in the last two games without him.

This one isn't gonna be easy to win, but we should still be a confident bunch because they're scoring more lately and realistically they've strung together more wins lately than they have losses, particularly regulation ones at that (and at home, too).   I really don't want to see us back to .500 tonight if we were to lose.  That would just be kinda deflating to be honest.  26-24-10 would be a little more appealing.  

3 days off after today, then we have a pretty touch schedule coming up against the Rags, Canadiens, Caps, and Bruins.  That will really tell us what this team is made of.

Let's Go Devils.

I get the "Let me down a case of Sunny Delight everytime I talk about the Devils" mentality, but they're 5-5-1 in their last 11 games.  If you want to feel a little better about their recent performance, they're 9-6-1 in their last 16...go back a little further, and that becomes 9-8-3 over their last 20.  What exactly should we be confident about?  Based on what I've seen, sure, the Devils might win tonight's game...only to lose their next two.  Because that's what this team does.  They've strung together three wins exactly ONCE since that 9-3-3 start. 

They've been a roughly .500 point% team for a while now...just hovering.  The schedule was pretty forgiving over the last several weeks (starting with the new year), with some lesser opponents and lots of home games, and the Devils really didn't do nearly enough with it...they went 11-8-3.  They managed to lose a little less/win a little more, but not nearly enough to make a real dent in the standings.  You seem to do a lot of "Well, this loss was bad, but if they win this game and then that game" posting...only that the Devils don't win this game and that game.  Maybe they win one, but lose the other.  That's why they keep spinning their wheels in the mediocre mud that's slogging their way to the final Eastern Conference WC spot.  The ONLY reason the Devils are still somehow kinda-sorta in this thing is that no one else seems to be capable of putting something together...yet.  I wish the Devils were the team that could eventually do it, but nothing they do shows me that they will.     

I'll still be watching and the pure fan in me will always keep rooting for wins...I do that no matter how bad my teams are.  But I think we already know what this team is made of.  I've been watching it for 59 games.   

All the above being said, LET'S GO DEVILS! 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

24 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Cammy and Quincey back in, Bennett and Moore out.

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri

Zacha - Henrique - PAP

Cammy - Josefson - Noesen

Wood - Blandisi - DSP

Greene - Lovejoy

Merrill - Santini

Quincey - Severson

Moore I get, Bennett I do not. I thought he had a good game against the Islanders.

EDIT: LGD.

Edited by NJDevils1214

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the "Let me down a case of Sunny Delight everytime I talk about the Devils" mentality, but they're 5-5-1 in their last 11 games.  If you want to feel a little better about their recent performance, they're 9-6-1 in their last 16...go back a little further, and that becomes 9-8-3 over their last 20.  What exactly should we be confident about?  Based on what I've seen, sure, the Devils might win tonight's game...only to lose their next two.  Because that's what this team does.  They've strung together three wins exactly ONCE since that 9-3-3 start. 

They've been a roughly .500 point% team for a while now...just hovering.  The schedule was pretty forgiving over the last several weeks (starting with the new year), with some lesser opponents and lots of home games, and the Devils really didn't do nearly enough with it...they went 11-8-3.  They managed to lose a little less/win a little more, but not nearly enough to make a real dent in the standings.  You seem to do a lot of "Well, this loss was bad, but if they win this game and then that game" posting...only that the Devils don't win this game and that game.  Maybe they win one, but lose the other.  That's why they keep spinning their wheels in the mediocre mud that's slogging their way to the final Eastern Conference WC spot.  The ONLY reason the Devils are still somehow kinda-sorta in this thing is that no one else seems to be capable of putting something together...yet.  I wish the Devils were the team that could eventually do it, but nothing they do shows me that they will.     

I'll still be watching and the pure fan in me will always keep rooting for wins...I do that no matter how bad my teams are.  But I think we already know what this team is made of.  I've been watching it for 59 games.   

I hear ya.  I guess I just look at the situation we're in now and I can't help but think of our sh!tty rivals to the south....they were right next to us, actually even quite a bit below I believe, way earlier in the season, and then boom, that freak 10 game winning streak occurred and they were not only in the wild card spot, but even up there in the top 3 of the division.  Sure, they've come back to Earth now and it looks like they may miss the playoffs themselves, but the point is that we, unlike them, have been .500 for basically most of the season like you mentioned, so if every team, even someone like the Flyers, or us, are capable of an odd, errant, or random fluke winning streak of any real significance, well that's something that, if it happened, would certainly put us in the middle of the playoffs.  A guy can dream, right?

Also, from a very general standpoint....we come here to talk about the Devils, right?  And if we already know what this team is - what they're made of, and what they're capable of - well then there's really two choices right?  Either talk positively about them, or talk negatively about them.  I wouldn't quite call it "down a case of Sunny Delight" so to speak, but rather just talking positively.   It doesn't do me any good, or give me any joy or fun, to sit here and constantly remind myself that we have guys like Bennett and Lovejoy on our team and bitching or sulking about it. There are way too many negative influences in the world outside of hockey.  I'm not gonna let hockey/the Devils be one of them.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I hear ya.  I guess I just look at the situation we're in now and I can't help but think of our sh!tty rivals to the south....they were right next to us, actually even quite a bit below I believe, way earlier in the season, and then boom, that freak 10 game winning streak occurred and they were not only in the wild card spot, but even up there in the top 3 of the division.  Sure, they've come back to Earth now and it looks like they may miss the playoffs themselves, but the point is that we, unlike them, have been .500 for basically most of the season like you mentioned, so if every team, even someone like the Flyers, or us, are capable of an odd, errant, or random fluke winning streak of any real significance, well that's something that, if it happened, would certainly put us in the middle of the playoffs.  A guy can dream, right?

Also, from a very general standpoint....we come here to talk about the Devils, right?  And if we already know what this team is - what they're made of, and what they're capable of - well then there's really two choices right?  Either talk positively about them, or talk negatively about them.  I wouldn't quite call it "down a case of Sunny Delight" so to speak, but rather just talking positively.   It doesn't do me any good, or give me any joy or fun, to sit here and constantly remind myself that we have guys like Bennett and Lovejoy on our team and bitching or sulking about it. There are way too many negative influences in the world outside of hockey.  I'm not gonna let hockey/the Devils be one of them.

The one kind of downer re:  "Why not us?" is that the first domino that needed to fall (Cory turning it around) did...he's a .932 save% goalie since 1/2.  Kink is at .903 over that same stretch (seven appearances), with his last two games really dragging down that sample (it had been .948 prior to those two games).

It just sucks that some terrific goaltending hasn't led to that many more wins in the grand scheme.  Only 11-8-3 over this time.  I don't know if I can ask the goaltending to keep this up...though one can argue that if a guy like Cory should finish the season somewhere near his typical save%, he might still have some terrific puck-stopping left ahead of him. 

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The one kind of downer re:  "Why not us?" is that the first domino that needed to fall (Cory turning it around) did...he's a .932 save% goalie since 1/2.  Kink is at .903 over that same stretch (seven appearances), with his last two games really dragging down that sample (it had been .948 prior to those two games).

It just sucks that some terrific goaltending hasn't led to that many more wins in the grand scheme.  Only 11-8-3 over this time.  I don't know if I can ask the goaltending to keep this up...though one can argue that if a guy like Cory should finish the season somewhere near his typical save%, he might still have some terrific puck-stopping left ahead of him. 

That line says a ton and shows of much of a ways the Devils have to go to be not only contenders, but to just be a playoff team.  Basically outside of goaltending every position need some sort of upgrade in the near future.  However, by the time that happens there is a good possibility that our goaltending will be the position then that needs upgrading as Schneider is already no spring chicken (even with the relatively low mileage on him).

Devils 9-6.

• Like 1

Could possibly be another snoozefest with these two offensively challenged teams especially with the Sens injuries.  Hopefully not the case but on paper.......  tough sell too ticket wise, Sens on a tuesday night in for the second time in a week or two.  Not sure they could give enough tickets away to fill the place for this one.

Just looking to be semi-entertained at this point.

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Could possibly be another snoozefest with these two offensively challenged teams especially with the Sens injuries.  Hopefully not the case but on paper.......  tough sell too ticket wise, Sens on a tuesday night in for the second time in a week or two.  Not sure they could give enough tickets away to fill the place for this one.

Just looking to be semi-entertained at this point.

Need an extra good poster for this one.

LGD

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like the way the Devils Insiders put it on Devils Tailgate today... (sidenote: don't know if anyone else commutes to work like I do but they put together two fantastic podcasts, Devils Daily is solely their show and Devils Tailgate is a 30-40 minute show they do only on gameday for official Devils channels, great listening for long drives) They basically pointed out that the thing about this team is that they seem to sometimes pull out the extremely tough victory... and then follow it up by playing flat. It's happened all year. Five game win streak... followed up by disastrous California trip. 4-0 shellacking of Philadelphia... followed by getting blown out by Pittsburgh. 2-1 SO win against the best team in the NHL (WSH) in their barn... followed by getting blown out by them in ours. Great western Canada trip capped by a victory over the hottest team in the NHL at the time (and maybe still... MIN) followed by complete clunker versus Montreal. Follow that up with a great road win in Philly, then drop two straight sad performances at home. They just don't seem to be able to capitalize on the good feeling they can generate from big wins. They don't know how to keep it going yet.

They are what they are. A team with good goaltending, middling defense, some promise up front but yet still 29th in the league in goals per game. I think they're on the right track, but they aren't there yet.

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 1

Need me one of those "pride" ONENJ shirts.

I'm normally not in favor of organizations expressing opinions on social issues, but I can behind an all encompassing and including message.

Love everyone... Except for Rangers fans. And Flyers fans. And you know what, Islanders and Penguins fans suck too. fvck the entire metro actually. And while we're at it, there are some obnoxious fans in the Atlantic, Central, and Pacific divisions too. You know what, they're all terrible.

fvck everyone else besides Devils fans, yep. 

• Like 3