GDT - Winnipeg at Devils 3/14 - GAME POSTPONED TILL 3/28

Satans Hockey

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Ugh. I'm so sick of this. Yeah, drafting could have been a lot better. But THIS is what happens when your 26 year old home grown captain ditches town, the most electric superstar in your franchises history leaves in year 2 of a 15 year contract, a fan-favorite 30 goal scorer leaves town the next season, and - oh, yeah - the WINNINGEST GOALTENDER IN THE HISTORY OF HOCKEY retires. 

This sh!t HAPPENS. It's a god damned rebuild. Give it time or go buy a blackhawks tee shirt and fvck off.

Wish I could like this post more than once.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Ugh. I'm so sick of this. Yeah, drafting could have been a lot better. But THIS is what happens when your 26 year old home grown captain ditches town, the most electric superstar in your franchises history leaves in year 2 of a 15 year contract, a fan-favorite 30 goal scorer leaves town the next season, and - oh, yeah - the WINNINGEST GOALTENDER IN THE HISTORY OF HOCKEY retires. 

This sh!t HAPPENS. It's a god damned rebuild. Give it time or go buy a blackhawks tee shirt and fvck off.

Brodeur leaving the Devils and embarrassing himself in St. Louis was not detrimental to the Devils in any way

Kovy and Parise bolting hurt a lot, but so has Tedenby, Josefson, Matteau, and Gelinas becoming total busts

Edited by '7'

The Devils would still be sh!t if Parise and Kovalchuk were here.  They'd be better, but they certainly wouldn't be good.  Parise is a 2nd line player this year and Kovalchuk hasn't dominated the KHL like you would think a guy who was routinely top 10 in scoring in the NHL would.  

Edited by Triumph

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

As was his style, because of his stubborness and ego, Lou refused to negotiate with Parise during his contract year (2010) and it bit him in the a $$ when Parise took off to Minnesota and Kovy bolted to Russia all in one fell swoop.  Lou's next moves were to sign aging forwards (i.e. Sykora, Clowe etc) to fill the void just like he signed busted up defensemen (i.e. Volchenkov, Tallinder) because he and Conte couldn't rely on their drafting prowress to bolster the roster. 

Brodeur going to St. Louis was a non-factor in the team nosediving. Bad example.

Yes, I know the team is in rebuild mode numbnuts and I am patient with them. I'm actually happy with the young group of players we have, they're not great talent wise but what the hell...I support them nonetheless and they're better than what we had.  All I'm saying is if we had drafted better since the 2004-05 lockout and didn't sign aging vets to bad contracts we'd be in better shape and wouldn't have to worry about Hall leaving in 3 years if for whatever reason we can't turn this thing around. 

Now go back to screaming at people who dare to criticize the former GM.

Edited by slasher72

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

The Devils would still be sh!t if Parise and Kovalchuk were here.  They'd be better, but they certainly wouldn't be good.  Parise is a 3rd line player this year and Kovalchuk hasn't dominated the KHL like you would think a guy who was routinely top 10 in scoring in the NHL would.

does Shero trade Larsson for hall?  does his free agency strategy change? would we be a more attractive destination? imo our biggest hole is that neither Merrill, nor Severson have taken the next step and quite frankly look like they've taken a step back.  Was pretty obvious that jelly wasn't the answer either but I loved Merril's game 2 years ago, what happened?  Severson? I'm not a big +/- guy but -10 more than the next guy has to tell you something.  Moore shows something at times (especially in ot) but he scares me in his own zone.(and I do admit, sometimes I just don't know if it was the D partner that made the mistake and the other  as of now our team relies too much on special teams without an outstanding pp qb.  that all being said, my protect list as of now is, 9,19, 21, 14, 6, 2, 7, 28. and I would guess lv takes 16 unless they need to get to the cap floor(one can dream)

but this is a big off season for shero so I hope that isn't our list but he is able to incrementally upgrade this roster or just pull off a big trade with all of our picks.  And obviously a big first round pick coming up.

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

does Shero trade Larsson for hall?  does his free agency strategy change? would we be a more attractive destination? imo our biggest hole is that neither Merrill, nor Severson have taken the next step and quite frankly look like they've taken a step back.  Was pretty obvious that jelly wasn't the answer either but I loved Merril's game 2 years ago, what happened?  Severson? I'm not a big +/- guy but -10 more than the next guy has to tell you something.  Moore shows something at times (especially in ot) but he scares me in his own zone.(and I do admit, sometimes I just don't know if it was the D partner that made the mistake and the other  as of now our team relies too much on special teams without an outstanding pp qb.  that all being said, my protect list as of now is, 9,19, 21, 14, 6, 2, 7, 28. and I would guess lv takes 16 unless they need to get to the cap floor(one can dream)

but this is a big off season for shero so I hope that isn't our list but he is able to incrementally upgrade this roster or just pull off a big trade with all of our picks.  And obviously a big first round pick coming up.

We can go through counterfactuals forever, but to me the biggest weakness of the Devils has been in finding a center.  They've got Zajac and Henrique and nothing else.  And this has been true for this team for ages - they've basically found a guy once every five years between Elias/Gomez/Zajac/Henrique but now we're going on 8 drafts since Henrique and Henrique isn't even that good and probably wouldn't be playing center on a good team.  Zajac is behind at least one guy on a good team too.

Merrill not being decent hurts, but he was probably never a future star anyway - the real issue is that between picking late, trading picks, and poor drafting, the Devils just have given themselves fewer chances to succeed than other teams and you do that for 15 years and here's where you end up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

This year they might not be tearing up the NHL. But we probably make the playoffs the last few years, ESPECIALLY with the way Schneider played last year. 

This isn't worth more than an "lol"

Who says they even have Schneider?  With Parise in 2012-13, everything is different.  Maybe the Devils don't finish 9th to last, and maybe what they offer Vancouver can't get it done.  Again, you can argue the Devils would've made the playoffs one or more of those years, but I have a hard time accepting that the Devils would be a good team.  There just aren't any young players here besides Severson (and Larsson) from around that time.  It's not enough.