Devils favored to land Tyler Kelleher

fsu1852

He was at our development camp a few years ago. Apparently he's one of the more sought after UDFA's coming out the NCAA right now. I remember I went to the prospects scrimmage that year in the summer and took a sweet video of him during the shootout and posted it to twitter, think he even liked it, lol.

I know height/size is not as big of an issue as it was say even 10 years ago, but I wonder if 5'6 is pushing it.  Would be nice to sign him but worried that he might be a little too small for this league.  Even Tyler Johnson has 2 inches on him and Stephen Gionta has an inch on him.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know height/size is not as big of an issue as it was say even 10 years ago, but I wonder if 5'6 is pushing it.  Would be nice to sign him but worried that he might be a little too small for this league.  Even Tyler Johnson has 2 inches on him and Stephen Gionta has an inch on him.

That he's putting up offensive numbers like that at the college level suggests that there's some there there.  Would be one thing if he were doing it in the CHL where he's playing against a lot of 16 to 18 year olds.  

It's not just that he's doing it at the college level but that he is relatively young for a college player who is undrafted, many of whom spend their age 19 season playing in the USHL or prep school.  Kelleher just turned 22 in January so it means he was 18 when he started his freshman season.

I wouldn't have very high hopes for him if we did get him, but there is the possibility with those kind of numbers - his senior stats are insane - that there is a good NHLer in there.  

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

David Desharnais is the same height. And he's been a productive NHLer. He even put up 60 points one year. He's listed as 5'7 but I watched him play an entire year in the ECHL and I think that's being generous. 

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I mean compared to some of the guys we got right now who gives a sh!t how tall he is. Whats the worst that can happen? He doesn't score like the majority of our roster? Lol

I agree. Whats the worse that can happen

• Like 1

I guess we'll find out a lot when he joins A devils. Gionta was a serviceable FW. (Had a great run in '11-'12)  We've got tons of 6' - 205 lb fw's that don't score either.

why the hell not.  i thought Shero should've hung onto Lorito.  Made guys that played on his line better

The news about the imminent signature of this player comes days ago... the same day as the rumor about Bayreuther et Reese ... Both of these players are already sign (by Dallas & Pittsburg) ... 

Is it normal that Kelleher isn't there yet ? 

#FakeNews#

1 hour ago, '7' said:

We lost him to the Milwaukee Admirals?

sad

As I understand it, it allows him to try and show he can compete against pro players, and that he can sign with an NHL club after the AHL season is over.  I wouldn't think this allows him to sign for more than an ELC, but maybe the teams he spoke with encouraged him to go that route, given the size and apparently defensive  concerns.