Devils sign Austin Cangelosi - C Boston College

T0asterleav1ns

12 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/3/24/14972362/austin-cangelosi-signs-with-albany-devils-boston-college-hockey

Dont know much about him but hes leading BC in goals and points. And hes tiny.

Have to wonder how the top scorer on a well known and constantly scouted college team went undrafted. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 9:13 PM, mfitz804 said:

Have to wonder how the top scorer on a well known and constantly scouted college team went undrafted. 

Have to think it's because of his size.  Marin St. Louis went undrafted, and that turned out pretty well.

Also, my initial reaction to this was "Steve's son...?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Have to think it's because of his size.  Marin St. Louis went undrafted, and that turned out pretty well.

Different spelling...but I did the same before I saw how it was spelled. 

6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Took him until he was about 26-27 to be an impact NHLer. Very VERY rare case. Small players generally don't become late bloomers in the league. St. Louis became a total fitness nut, got a lot stronger, became a quicker and more powerful skater.

Cangelosi is perhaps an inch taller than St. Louis (St. Louis was listed at 5'8 but was really 5'6) Stat wise I don't see much in terms of playmaking ability in him...

Edited by '7'

58 minutes ago, titans04 said:

meh - zero risk but for every St. Louis there's probably a hundred undersized guys that never make it.   Is it totally out of the question to find bigger guys that can skate and play?  Then there's Wood.....

True, odds are definitely against it but I guess they figure it's worth a shot. It is easier now for a smaller player than other eras. The big guys that are good are already drafted and under contract.

10 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

Can't hurt to have him. Whats the worse that can happen?

He spreads an incurable illness throughout the locker room and we have to start all over!

Wait a minute...

I see what you're getting at.

12 hours ago, '7' said:

Took him until he was about 26-27 to be an impact NHLer. Very VERY rare case. Small players generally don't become late bloomers in the league. St. Louis became a total fitness nut, got a lot stronger, became a quicker and more powerful skater.

Cangelosi is perhaps an inch taller than St. Louis (St. Louis was listed at 5'8 but was really 5'6) Stat wise I don't see much in terms of playmaking ability in him...

Yeah for sure, super rare.  Not saying he'll be anything like that, just giving an explanation as to why he possibly wasn't drafted, and also that there's pretty much no risk in bringing him in.

He's been a NJ Devils fan since he was 6!  :evil: 

While he took part in Devils camps over the past few years, Cangelosi also chose New Jersey because that's who he saw in his first live game.

“They played the Atlanta Thrashers,” he said. “It was an 11-1 game. I remember how exciting it was to see 11 goals.

“I got to know the organization and liked how they were run while I also liked the guys after getting to meet them.”

Cangelosi’s dad Andy recalls shortly after that first NHL game, his son went to school and told classmates during career day that his goal was to play in the NHL for the New Jersey Devils.

http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/hockey/2017/03/27/austin-cangelosis-dream-playing-nhl-getting-closer/99692758/

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I can't find it on hockey reference. Is there a way to check Alex Mogilny's stats against the thrashers as a devil? I have a weird childhood memory of him scoring like 4 or 5 goals in a blowout. 

Didn't happen.  Mogilny scored one hat trick for the Devils in his first stint here in a 4-2 win against the Islanders.

McKay and Madden each scored 4 against Pittsburgh in the same game in 2000-2001.

wasn't there a big blowout v tampa where zubrus scored 4 goals and someone else had a hat trick?

Yeah back in 2008- I remember that Zubrus 4-goal game pretty well, but I forget if someone else had a hat trick in addition to Zubrus' four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I can't find it on hockey reference. Is there a way to check Alex Mogilny's stats against the thrashers as a devil? I have a weird childhood memory of him scoring like 4 or 5 goals in a blowout. 

You may have mixed it up with the playoff game against the Leafs where Mogilny had 5 points. Devils actually blew a 5-1 lead in the 3rd in that one and then (strangely) won it in OT.

14 hours ago, Triumph said:

Haha, memory is funny - there's no game, unless it was in preseason, where the Devils beat the Thrashers 11-1.  They beat them 9-0 in 2000.

I was going to quote him as well and say "I could definitely be wrong, but when in the hell did the Devils ever score 11 goals?  I honestly can't remember us ever getting 10.  Double digits just seems like a foreign concept to me/us.  To be fair, it is to most teams (Did it only happen once this year, when Columbus beat MTL 10-0, I think?), but I really do not remember us ever getting to that mark.

I remember going to a game where the Devils just blasted the expansion Lightning 9-3. They didn't really get many shots on goal either, but whatever crap Tampa had in net was absolutely helpless. It seemed like they were scoring goals on every other shot. Ben Hankinson was first star I believe.

Edited by '7'