GDT: Game 75 - Devils vs Stars, 5PM, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think games 5 & 6 of that Stars series might be the best hockey I've ever watched.  The games were pretty wide open but Brodeur and Belfour were absolutely insane.   

Then you haven't watched hockey for very long!

They were good games though. The Stars were old and on fumes at that point. Belfour kept them alive as long as he possibly could. Brodeur was great too but he didn't face as many shots (and high quality shots) as Belfour did in games 5 and 6.

Still upset about the Hatcher hit on Sykora. Not only did it look like he left his feet (albeit slightly) but it was an elbow.

Edited by '7'

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

Then you haven't watched hockey for very long!

They were good games though. The Stars were old and on fumes at that point. Belfour kept them alive as long as he possibly could. Brodeur was great too but he didn't face as many shots (and high quality shots) as Belfour did in games 5 and 6.

Still upset about the Hatcher hit on Sykora. Not only did it look like he left his feet (albeit slightly) but it was an elbow.

I find it kind of bizarre to question how long I've watched hockey but regardless, I think you're under selling how good of a team the Stars were in the second of their back to back finals appearances.  I'm the first one to say Brodeur's overall playoff resume is somewhat underwhelming compared to his reputation but that series is one of the few times I think he truly won us a playoff series.  In Game 5 particularly, the Stars had a ton of prime chances.   I remember Brodeur's Dad saying that despite the loss, that was the best game Marty ever played.  Game 6 wasn't far behind.

As for tonight, just hoping to see the young guys put up a few points.  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I find it kind of bizarre to question how long I've watched hockey but regardless, I think you're under selling how good of a team the Stars were in the second of their back to back finals appearances.  I'm the first one to say Brodeur's overall playoff resume is somewhat underwhelming compared to his reputation but that series is one of the few times I think he truly won us a playoff series.  In Game 5 particularly, the Stars had a ton of prime chances.   I remember Brodeur's Dad saying that despite the loss, that was the best game Marty ever played.  Game 6 wasn't far behind.

As for tonight, just hoping to see the young guys put up a few points.  

I was semi joking but overall that era was not the best for quality hockey. If you REALLY want to be impressed by a Brodeur game (and unfortunately it was another loss) go watch game 3 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals. Brodeur was absolutely spectacular.

23 minutes ago, '7' said:

I was semi joking but overall that era was not the best for quality hockey. If you REALLY want to be impressed by a Brodeur game (and unfortunately it was another loss) go watch game 3 of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals. Brodeur was absolutely spectacular.

I'm 40, so I remember everything to do with '94 and 95' well.  

Yes, the late 90's until the lost season from the strike wasn't the most exciting era of hockey but that Stars vs Devils series was awesome with plenty of wide open hockey.  I still would say that from about the middle of the Flyers series through the end of the 2000 playoff was the best playoff hockey Brodeur played in his career and we don't win the cup if he doesn't step up there.      

Just now, Lateralous said:

I'm 40, so I remember everything to do with '94 and 95' well.  

Yes, the late 90's until the lost season from the strike wasn't the most exciting era of hockey but that Stars vs Devils series was awesome with plenty of wide open hockey.  I still would say that from about the middle of the Flyers series through the end of the 2000 playoff was the best playoff hockey Brodeur played in his career and we don't win the cup if he doesn't step up there.      

Won't disagree with that. From 3-1 down to the end of the Stars series he was tremendous.

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

LGD, watching the pregame and it's almost like Johnny Mac is purposely trying to annoy me by interrupting CONSTANTLY. 

He has a lot of energy, but I just don't like him in this role. He's not good on TV (or behind the bench for that matter.) Still kind of salty at him for asking for a trade...and then signing with the Rangers.

I've seen Scott Stevens do TV work in Canada...he was actually quite good at it before taking that job with the Wild. 

Edited by '7'

17 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I wish Hall was a better finisher.

Snakebit a little this year, but he's never been a great finisher and never will be.

He'll be a 25-30 goal guy and 70+ point player though once we finally get some help around him. His play has been spectacular of late. In meaningless games the guy is out there hustling like it is game 7 of the finals. You love to see that.

• Like 2