Edmonton Fans on Taylor Hall

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Noticed a trend on Facebook and other sites of Oilers fans attributing their success this year on the loss of Taylor Hall. 

A lot of people have been saying he is a locker room cancer and that his lazy play in his own zone cost their team.  A number of them are also attributing Halls arival to the decline in the Devils form. 

Clearly this is all bullsh!t but it seems incredibly unfair on a guy who loved the Oilers organisation and put a lot of effort in there. 

From my perspective he has only done good things since he arrived here, but was interested to see what others though of his contribution so far?

One thing I have noticed since the comments started to appear is that I now really want the Oilers to fail miserably and it's a game I will really want the Devils to win going forward.  

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ah Facebook, where all the brain surgeons gather....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not going to get masses of intelligent conversation but it's a good barometer for fan feeling, and I was just really surprised at the level of bad feeling towards Hall. It's not like he wanted to be traded.

I've heard that stuff re: Hall before, as far as his Edmonton years go.  I didn't really follow his career up there, but I'm not really seeing much evidence of his being a team chemistry killer here...but I get the feeling he's going to look more dynamic than what he actually produces.  Clearly a solid top-line forward. 

He obviously hasn't made that much of an impact here so far, as far as turning the Devils around, but outside of a McDavid or someone like that, I don't think there's a player out there that could significantly improve the Devils right now, and even then, who knows how much better the Devils would really be?  Mario Lemieux's Penguins didn't make the playoffs until his 5th season. 

It's not Hall's fault that Cory's been inconsistent, or that there's general lack of talent throughout the lineup.  My feelings on him haven't changed:  I think he's a good to very good talent who will hopefully help the Devils in the near future, but he can only do so much, and he desperately needs help. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

You are not going to get masses of intelligent conversation but it's a good barometer for fan feeling, and I was just really surprised at the level of bad feeling towards Hall. It's not like he wanted to be traded.

He was pretty well liked while he was there too... I think people look for a simple solution for things, and a common denominator for Hall in his career is he's always been on losing teams. Obviously the Devils wouldn't have been a playoff team this season if they had kept Larsson with the rest of this same roster, so Hall being here has had no negative effect in that regard. Larsson has improved Edmonton defensively, and they have a franchise player in McDavid who is an Art Ross candidate. I highly doubt their success this season is because of the subtraction of Hall, but more because of the emergence of McDavid and Cam Talbot having a career season.

• Like 2

All he's done here is give 100% on every shift. Not sure how he was in Edmonton...or why he has a reputation of being a malcontent. He has not shown even an inkling of that. Very happy with his play and his attitude. It's up to this franchise now to get Hall the help he deserves.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

If you want a better idea of how semi-knowledgeable to knowledgeable Edmonton fans feel, I would check out HF Boards.  I know they were overwhelmingly upset about the trade when it happened.

Maybe it was somehow different there, but I sincerely doubt Hall is anything like a locker room "cancer."  You can generally find at least one malcontent on any team that will make an anonymous statement to some reporter, and I haven't seen anything like that re Hall.

Edmonton is good now because they have arguably the best player in the sport (that they obtained by luck) and really good goaltending (as MD2020 stated), not to mention all of those other top five picks they've stockpiled over the years.  They're probably a little better if they have Hall instead of Larsson. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

He was pretty well liked while he was there too... I think people look for a simple solution for things, and a common denominator for Hall in his career is he's always been on losing teams. Obviously the Devils wouldn't have been a playoff team this season if they had kept Larsson with the rest of this same roster, so Hall being here has had no negative effect in that regard. Larsson has improved Edmonton defensively, and they have a franchise player in McDavid who is an Art Ross candidate. I highly doubt their success this season is because of the subtraction of Hall, but more because of the emergence of McDavid and Cam Talbot having a career season.

Yes, locker room cancer becomes a simple explanation. Hall has just had bad luck and been on nothing but bad NHL teams. It is different levels of hockey granted, but meanwhile in junior he was the best player on a team that won memorial cups back to back and he has gold medals playing for Canada at the World Championships so I guess his being a locker room cancer is only when he happens to be on bad teams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

One thing I have noticed since the comments started to appear is that I now really want the Oilers to fail miserably and it's a game I will really want the Devils to win going forward.  

yup, Go sharks, go petie D!... they were crying when the trade happened

20 minutes ago, Devils Dose said:

Instead of crediting McDavid and celebrating this season, those fans are looking backwards and blaming Hall? That sounds like evidence of a personality disorder.

Exactly...if the wind blows right, McDavid could have 100 points this year. They had a bunch of high picks over a bunch of years, including four #1's in six years. With the last one, they added a top 5, and possibly the best player, in the NHL.

If they didn't make the playoffs, that would be more shocking. It has zero to do with Taylor Hall. 

Maybe I'm projecting here (with regards to Gomez, Kovalchuk, Parise especially) but I feel like when a superstar player doesn't work out for an organization for one reason or another it's the tendency for fans to bash said player and blame him for the team's shortcomings.

I, for one, have been extremely happy with his effort level this year. Sure, you could argue the points aren't there but that can be attributed to the talent level surrounding him imo.

Get him an actual playmaking center and he's going to light it up.

1 hour ago, Devils Dose said:

Instead of crediting McDavid and celebrating this season, those fans are looking backwards and blaming Hall? That sounds like evidence of a personality disorder.

Being the laughingstock of the NHL for a decade will do that to people.

Plus now that they're competitive again the Fairweather know-nothing fans are going to come out of the woodwork.

• Like 1

They might've made the playoffs last year if not for McDavid's injury, we'll never know. But pox on them and their fans.  Hope they lose 4 straight. And they're probably reacting too, to TH saying he's not going to root for them in the playoffs. I mean really, what is he supposed to say.  Big increases in points for Draiseitl & Maroon too. 

I'm not surprised.   Getting a solid defenseman was the right move to improve the team but the Oilers got blasted for that trade because they didn't get proper value for Taylor Hall (at least in a vacuum if you don't consider that they probably already had a good idea Lucic was coming when they made the trade).  Shero exploited the situation and now you have their fans trying the justify it by any means possible. You saw the same crap with PK Subban once he got moved to Nashville.     

• Like 1

I have nothing against Hall, and certainly haven't heard anything about any character issues or problems in the locker room.  Whenever I hear teams talk about a player like that, especially if he hasn't done anything like that for us, I just assume and think it's their stupid franchise that caused him to do/say/act like that and glad that he's with us now and hopefully thriving.  

I think its pretty sad for a franchise that has defined failure for the last 10 years IN SPITE of the deck being stacked in their favor regarding drafts to talk sh!t after barely squeaking into the playoffs for the first time. Its pathetic.

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

I think its pretty sad for a franchise that has defined failure for the last 10 years IN SPITE of the deck being stacked in their favor regarding drafts to talk sh!t after barely squeaking into the playoffs for the first time. Its pathetic.

The number of Oiler fans who are sticking their fingers in their ears and refusing to acknowledge this simple fact makes me hope they get fvcking trucked in the post season. I actually pulled for them in the past but good god their sense of entitlement after one goddamn good year makes me hate them

• Like 3

I read somewhere that Hall roomed with McDavid. I think if he were a problem the organization wouldn't have allowed that. It was Hall's Oilers before McDavid got there I think the trade was to let McDavid know the team was his and maybe Hall couldn't handle that.

• Like 1

McDavid looks locked in for 100 points. Which is incredible. The closer the playoffs get the worse I feel for Hall. 

Didn't know that Hall roomed with McDavid. No way he was ever a problem in that case. 

Bet Hall is gutted he can't line up with McDavid going forward.  

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

McDavid looks locked in for 100 points. Which is incredible. The closer the playoffs get the worse I feel for Hall. 

Didn't know that Hall roomed with McDavid. No way he was ever a problem in that case. 

Bet Hall is gutted he can't line up with McDavid going forward.  

Probably winds up costing Hall millions on his next contract too. Assuming he'd be playing on McDavid's wing he'd probably cover PPG for the foreseeable future.