NJDevs4978

New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

615 posts in this topic

Anyway, for me to feel like this season is salvageable, I need to see the Mets have a winning record with 100 games left...basically be 32-30 by that point.  They need to go 14-7 to do it.  They'd then need to go 58-42 to get to 90 wins...a combined 72-49 from here on out.  No, doesn't seem terribly do-able to me either, unless a lot of guys suddenly get healthy and stay healthy.  And just about every last possible thing goes right.

Apparently things aren't going too well for our old buddy Wally Backman, canned by his Mexican League team after 42 games lol.  So much for him ever managing in the majors when he can't even stick in a 4th rate league without pissing everyone off.

Team had a winning record, FWIW...wonder what happened there.  

Well...Milone is crap, looks like today is a forfeit game with pile of human excrement on the mound. Just save the pen and have Milone throw 110+ pitches if you need to. Lose 18-0.

Edited by '7'

Awesome pickup Sandy.  Very creative.  When you go slogging through septic tanks full of sh!t, this is what you'll get.  Hopefully Milone gets released after this game.  There is NOTHING there.   

Sandy, just admit you're punting this season.  None of your stammering condescending GM no-talk, just level with the fanbase you seem to have no respect for. 

This is reminding me of Logan Verrett's last start for us last season. Absolute batting practice. Milone was topping out at what...89 on the gun today? Not a major league pitcher. Happy trails

Wow...Grandy really hitting one out when the Mets need it.  Duda should be good for a jack today.  

1 hour ago, '7' said:

This is reminding me of Logan Verrett's last start for us last season. Absolute batting practice. Milone was topping out at what...89 on the gun today? Not a major league pitcher. Happy trails

It reminds me of Sean Gilmartin's last start last year lol, it was practically 10-0 before you blinked in that game too before the big though ultimately futile rally at the end.  Looks like they're going that route again today getting it from 9-0 to 9-5. 

Plaw is not a major league hitter.  No way he was getting a hit there.

Robles...lol.  

Warthen's gotta go.

Robles is an unmitigated disaster. And naturally he nearly missed hitting somebody up high that inning. Struts around the mound like he's Goose Gossage, pitches like he's Aaron Heilman. Of course Simmons, who doesn't have much power and is a meh hitter, snuffed out any hope with a 3 run shot. He always kills the Mets. And they were yukking it up on the basepaths too. Robles is a laughingstock.

Edited by '7'

Typical Mets:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2017/05/mets_will_continue_to_roll_with_tommy_milone_heres.html

Look, no one thinks that Tyler Pill is a long-term solution in the slightest, and his peripherals suggest good luck more than great pitching at AAA...but why not give him a start?  Milone has given up 132 hits (26 HR) and 73 ER in his last 102.1 IP in the majors...and his numbers are only getting worse.  And Warthen doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to squeeze anything out of a guy like Milone...if anything, just the opposite. 

Sure, Pill could come up and get lit up...but you pretty much KNOW that Milone will.  What's the harm?   

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Typical Mets:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2017/05/mets_will_continue_to_roll_with_tommy_milone_heres.html

Look, no one thinks that Tyler Pill is a long-term solution in the slightest, and his peripherals suggest good luck more than great pitching at AAA...but why not give him a start?  Milone has given up 132 hits (26 HR) and 73 ER in his last 102.1 IP in the majors...and his numbers are only getting worse.  And Warthen doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to squeeze anything out of a guy like Milone...if anything, just the opposite. 

Sure, Pill could come up and get lit up...but you pretty much KNOW that Milone will.  What's the harm?   

Milone's fastball was about 88mph yesterday. The Angels must've been laughing when they saw him. That's an absolute recipe to get decimated.

Pill supposedly has no great out pitch, but who cares plenty of capable long time major leaguers don't. And sure while it looks like he has gotten a bit lucky, he also has the persistent bad luck of playing in the PCL (don't know if he's a groundball or fly ball guy)

Bottom line is though, we need Matz healthy and we need Harvey to man up. Both need to stabilize things for us until Syndergaard returns. deGrom will be deGrom. Thank god for him. He's a bulldog, he's talented, when he doesn't have his best stuff he still finds a way. When he gets knocked around early, he settles in. He' almost too good for this franchise.

Alderson has to start scouring better parts of the bullpens of poor teams for a trade. If I'm him I look to the Marlins (who have made it very clear that they don't care about baseball unless they play the Mets) see if you can get AJ Ramos or Kyle Barraclough. We should forget about Familia coming back...but we do need to establish some sort of decent 8th-9th inning combination. Reed is good, but he will blow some games with the HR ball and is not elite. We really need some outside the organization help right now.

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Alderson has to start scouring better parts of the bullpens of poor teams for a trade. If I'm him I look to the Marlins (who have made it very clear that they don't care about baseball unless they play the Mets) see if you can get AJ Ramos or Kyle Barraclough. We should forget about Familia coming back...but we do need to establish some sort of decent 8th-9th inning combination. Reed is good, but he will blow some games with the HR ball and is not elite. We really need some outside the organization help right now.

I just don't think Alderson is going to go out of his way to make 2017 happen...I think what we see is what we get, then some bodies start coming back, then depending on where the Mets are and how those bodies perform, that might be when Sandy comes to life. 

What I do know is that trying to pick up guys that NO ONE wants isn't going to get it done. 

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

Milone's fastball was about 88mph yesterday. The Angels must've been laughing when they saw him. That's an absolute recipe to get decimated.

Pill supposedly has no great out pitch, but who cares plenty of capable long time major leaguers don't. And sure while it looks like he has gotten a bit lucky, he also has the persistent bad luck of playing in the PCL (don't know if he's a groundball or fly ball guy)

Bottom line is though, we need Matz healthy and we need Harvey to man up. Both need to stabilize things for us until Syndergaard returns. deGrom will be deGrom. Thank god for him. He's a bulldog, he's talented, when he doesn't have his best stuff he still finds a way. When he gets knocked around early, he settles in. He' almost too good for this franchise.

Could you imagine Milone in the PCL?  Holy sh!t...

Pill for me is more about giving a guy a shot when you literally don't have anyone else...a guy that, even if it's highly luck-based, has managed to be good in the PCL so far.  For me, he's not-Milone and not-Montero.  And the latter is where the joke is...Montero has literally shown next-to-nothing lately, is STILL walking guys left and right...but you can't give Pill one friggin' start over the absolute trash that's been Milone and Montero?!  Like I said, maybe Pill simply isn't a major leaguer and will be a disaster if he gets a chance.  But considering what the M&M boys have given the Mets, I say fvck it, how much worse can he be than Milone just was?

Agree that in a lot of ways the Pill vs. Montero and Milone isn't going to decide anything anyway...it's about Matt Harvey not being such an annoying p*ssy diva, and other guys being healthy.  Would be nice if deGrom's heart and toughness could be transplanted into some of these other guys.