2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

The goal called back last night was infuriating but the refs did try to give Nashville every opportunity to win the game from there on out.  The only call the Preds should really be sore about is that game 1 BS where they called the Subban goal offside, which really got the PPG center going and then handed the Pens a subsequent 5-3.  I thought the Refs absolutely killed that game and even in that one, Nashville came back and had a chance to win.   

Hopefully the Preds stick around for a while, that SEC football type passion surrounding their playoff run was a lot of fun and good for the game.   With the young roster they have, I see no reason they shouldn't be back in the near future but then again, I thought the same thing with the Lightning after the 2015 finals.   

Sucks that Pittsburgh had to win again.  It's so tough to win back to back, and it has been my hope for more than a decade now that the Devils would have been the next team to do that since the 97-98 Wings, but oh well.  Gotta tip your hat to them because it's truly an accomplishment.  The refs may have had their hand in some of the games, but despite how much we hate the Pens and certain biases and favoritism they may get, it does in fact go both ways, and they did earn it.  They were the better team in the series, and they were the best team this season/playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

The continued removal of physical play and over-hyping of certain teams has basically made my interest in hockey pretty much nil. The only thing I care about since the Devils are in rebuild is the trade deadlines and draft.

add to this "....and the death of the grinder" ....and this is how I feel about the NHL too....anytime I hear someone prattle on about "skill" and "point production" I want to punch a baby ....so I just turn it off and do something else.....I miss the days where we cared about heart and soul players and "paying the price to score dirty goals" and not obsessed with "skill stick goals" and that garbage....and yes "AND STAY OFF MY LAWN" :P

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, Satans Hockey said:

NBC and the NHL are always desperate to showcase any sort of celebrity they can. Personally I don't care what they do because I dvr the games and fast forward right through the nonsense from the talking heads.

The league should showcase more games on the USA network during the regular season. I said this when they signed the deal with NBCUniversal. I'd argue there's more of a name recognition associated there, vs NBC Sports. The few games they actually broadcast there during the playoffs did very well in ratings.

If you market it right (and again, I know that's asking for water into wine) the NHL on USA could be the league's version of NBA on TNT.

49 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

The league should showcase more games on the USA network during the regular season. I said this when they signed the deal with NBCUniversal. I'd argue there's more of a name recognition associated there, vs NBC Sports. The few games they actually broadcast there during the playoffs did very well in ratings.

If you market it right (and again, I know that's asking for water into wine) the NHL on USA could be the league's version of NBA on TNT.

It could totally just be me, but whenever I think of USA, I think movies and some not quite major-network-popular TV shows.  I don't think sports, be it hockey, basketball, baseball, etc.  

I'm totally fine with the NHL being on NBC.  I'm not crazy about any analysts in particular, but that's not why I watch the game or the sport.  I think they do a fine job broadcasting it, promoting it, and showcasing it.  That goes for NBC and their spinoff NBC Sports channel.  I'm also perfectly fine with them putting it out to bid every once in a while to see if other networks like ABC, Fox, ESPN, etc want to fight for it, and if I recall correctly I think NBC still has the rights for like the next 10 years or so which is absurd, but overall I have no major complaints with the coverage it has received.

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

Monday and Tuesday night they have wrestling but Wednesday would work. I just checked and all they are showing is a Chrisley Knows Best marathon. Sadly that might get higher ratings then some games lol 

54 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It could totally just be me, but whenever I think of USA, I think movies and some not quite major-network-popular TV shows. I don't think sports.

Wouldn't you agree though that the same perception was probably the case in the early 90's with TBS & TNT? They were both networks that showed reruns and movies from the 80's, before basketball & wrestling took hold of them.

I think it would be a slow build for the NHL, but one that would payoff in the long-run. NBC could still be the main go-to during the playoffs & SCF. But having USA in your pocket and not utilizing it more than they do during the regular season is a shame.

3 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

Wouldn't you agree though that the same perception was probably the case in the early 90's with TBS & TNT? They were both networks that showed reruns and movies from the 80's, before basketball & wrestling took hold of them.

I think it would be a slow build for the NHL, but one that would payoff in the long-run. NBC could still be the main go-to during the playoffs & SCF. But having USA in your pocket and not utilizing it more than they do during the regular season is a shame.

This is a good point. It doesn't cost much and it gives a random game like Carolina vs Vancouver a national platform.  Yes it won't get much ratings but it still could get hockey seen by people who may not normally see it. 

I know id like to watch a national game that doesn't involve Chicago, Detroit, NY, Boston, or Pittsburgh every once in a while. 

3 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

I agree with your second point - I'm not sure what type of deal they have with USA but obviously they've shown a few games over the last couple of years in the playoffs and I do think they should be utilized more, however to your first point, although I'm admittedly not a basketball fan by any means, when I think of TBS and TNT I still do very much regard them as movie channels.  Maybe that's because I don't like the sport very much and therefore don't follow it, or maybe it's just an old habits die hard kind of thing, but I'll probably always think of them as a TV/movies station first before associating them with sports.

I don't hate Crosby nor the Penguins. Does the NHL likely have a bias towards them? Probably, but can you honestly blame them? The Penguins are probably the most marketable team in the NHL with the level of talent they have. Sid is arguably one of the best players to play in the NHL ever at this point, he's generationally talented and he puts in the work for his team. I can't hate Sid, I can only admire him, because the guy is just a straight up winner, he's won almost every relevant award in the hockey world and he's not even 30 yet, him along with Ovi are gonna be the two players in today's NHL that I'm going to tell my kids about in the future, Sid has his rings, I just hope Alex's time is coming soon.

I was really rooting for the Preds hard in this final, but it was more so rooting for an extreme underdog instead of any ill will towards the Pens. They're a phenomenal team and I have to respect them, they're in the same line as the Hawks in today's NHL, they're model franchises.

25 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't hate Crosby nor the Penguins. Does the NHL likely have a bias towards them? Probably, but can you honestly blame them? The Penguins are probably the most marketable team in the NHL with the level of talent they have. Sid is arguably one of the best players to play in the NHL ever at this point, he's generationally talented and he puts in the work for his team. I can't hate Sid, I can only admire him, because the guy is just a straight up winner, he's won almost every relevant award in the hockey world and he's not even 30 yet, him along with Ovi are gonna be the two players in today's NHL that I'm going to tell my kids about in the future, Sid has his rings, I just hope Alex's time is coming soon.

I was really rooting for the Preds hard in this final, but it was more so rooting for an extreme underdog instead of any ill will towards the Pens. They're a phenomenal team and I have to respect them, they're in the same line as the Hawks in today's NHL, they're model franchises.

I admire your point of view.. and deeply respect it.

Meanwhile, i'm a simple guy... And I just hate the Penguins & Crosby ; ) 

Edited by moustic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Still don't get why people say the Pens are the "most marketable team". Literally no one gives a fvck about them other than Pittsburgh

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 11:23 AM, Devil Dan 56 said:

Enjoy that concert. They played a great set at MetLife Stadium last month. 

Also, go Preds

It was freaking EPIC, Volbeat played an awesome set but Avenged Sevenfold was underwhelming, just made Metallica that much better

Oh and fvck the Penguins

Edited by jagknife