The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

11 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

From the exit meetings today. 

"Pride, tenacity, pushback,” Shero said. “We had it at times but not enough. Not close enough to where we want to be. Some guys had a chance to prove that this year. They won’t be back.”

I'm guessing Auvitu, DSP and maybe Bennett & Josefson are on that list. Although I'm in the minority that actually quite liked some of Bennetts play.

That is a really bold quote. Hopefully he executes on it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That is a really bold quote. Hopefully he executes on it. 

Wow.  That really is a bold quote.  I can't see how Auvitu fits into that description because to me he hardly "got his chance", but the others I could definitely see.  DSP was a huge letdown this year, as was Josefson.  Bennett I still don't like as a player, but agree, compared to the rest, he was probably the least awful, if that means anything.  I still hope he's gone though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow.  That really is a bold quote.  I can't see how Auvitu fits into that description because to me he hardly "got his chance", but the others I could definitely see.  DSP was a huge letdown this year, as was Josefson.  Bennett I still don't like as a player, but agree, compared to the rest, he was probably the least awful, if that means anything.  I still hope he's gone though.

In fairness, when hasn't Josefson been a letdown, other than in the shootout?

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

True.  Josefson is good in his own end of the ice, and a good penalty killer.  He's a Jay Pandolfo type of player.  Unfortunately for him, he can't score unless it is in a shootout, and is always hurt.  He has been a letdown in the sense that you are getting that type of player out of a first round pick who people expected to be a top 6 player, which he clearly is not.  However, I still think he could be an effective role player (3rd/4th liner) on a playoff team.

I have always liked Josefson and do believe that he makes the people around him better more than a lot of our other players.  However, if he is to go then I wouldn't exactly be all broken up about him.  His injury history is definitely a problem and while I never expected a ton of goals out of him, he should have at least lucked his way into more goals than he has scored.

I do think that statement means he is gone with DSP also gone as well.  I think they are keeping Bennett while Auvitu is being kept in the AHL.

14 hours ago, SMantzas said:

His buzzwords like "effort", "grit" and "being hard to play against" made me cringe. He hardly mentioned lack of skill.

Meh, that's just coach speak. I remember when the season started my buddy was raging that the Caps motto for the season was going to be "will over skill." I was like c'mon man, you know that's just coach speak and it's not like that mindset erases all the talent on the team. 

re: Beau Bennett... I actually really liked him and think with proper finishers he could've had a lot more points. Not to mention some damn puck luck, he was a post away from like ~5-6 more goals. I think at a minimum he should get another year. It was pretty encouraging that he held up through the whole season too other than some games missed for a freak accident with the skate to leg injury.

Edited by Steven M.

These interviews have me thinking there might be a major shakeup coming.  Sounds to me like the locker room might be in "jeopardy".

I think one or both of Rico and/or Greene will be moved.

Greene's too old to be around for this rebuild, and I think I've made it clear I think he's been one of the least impressive captains in team history.  I know captains don't always have to be "rah rah" Scott Stevens type guys, but in a locker room with a lot of young guys I think a captain needs to be more than a calming presence.  If you can get something tangible in return for him I say take it (assuming you can find a replacement for his minutes in the expansion draft / FA /etc.

Edited by Devilsfan118

When I hear the underlying theme coming from the coach and GM about "harder to play against" and then I look at what John Hynes had to say about Damon Severson after game 81 I wonder if he is viewed as art of the future. And add a healthy scratch to the final, it wouldn't shock me at all if he isn't moved this offseason.

15 hours ago, SMantzas said:

His buzzwords like "effort", "grit" and "being hard to play against" made me cringe. He hardly mentioned lack of skill.

No coach is going to give a statement where he says the players weren't skilled enough. that's not only a shot at the players, but also a shot at management. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Very true.  For me though, I like to give players the benefit of the doubt I guess, at least if it looks like I see something in them, and I did in Josefson, so I guess I was kind of giving him this year as his last year to prove himself, and he really didn't do anything, so at this point I really can't defend him or see any reason to keep him around in hopes that he turns into something.  While I agree with Chuck that he could have a role on the team as a bottom 6 guy (more like a pure 4th liner and not even a 3rd, actually) on our team once we get better top 6 forwards, however I have a feeling that he could be one of those guys that just needs to be put into a package deal as we acquire those top 6.  Prior to this year I would have not wanted to part ways with him yet, but after this year, I don't see why not.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No coach is going to give a statement where he says the players weren't skilled enough. that's not only a shot at the players, but also a shot at management. 

Oh, I agree, though I think Shero bringing in Hall, Palmieri and Bennett the last two summers indicates he's trying 

1 hour ago, Jersey Sure said:

When I hear the underlying theme coming from the coach and GM about "harder to play against" and then I look at what John Hynes had to say about Damon Severson after game 81 I wonder if he is viewed as art of the future. And add a healthy scratch to the final, it wouldn't shock me at all if he isn't moved this offseason.

I missed the Hynes comment post game 81. Severson sometimes does seem like he is going through the motions out there and that can be frustrating. Thing is, we have little offensive ability from the d corps as it is that I would think it is unlikely we move him. Maybe if we sign Shattenkirk.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

These interviews have me thinking there might be a major shakeup coming.  Sounds to me like the locker room might be in "jeopardy".

I think one or both of Rico and/or Greene will be moved.

Greene's too old to be around for this rebuild, and I think I've made it clear I think he's been one of the least impressive captains in team history.  I know captains don't always have to be "rah rah" Scott Stevens type guys, but in a locker room with a lot of young guys I think a captain needs to be more than a calming presence.  If you can get something tangible in return for him I say take it (assuming you can find a replacement for his minutes in the expansion draft / FA /etc.

I don't think Stevens was very vocal captain (i.e. Messier with his over emotional women's hormones running through his veins).  Stevens gives the impression that he would just look at you if you had f'd something up or were acting the fool, and you'd end up crapping your pants and falling in line

• Like 1

I don't think Stevens was very vocal captain (i.e. Messier with his over emotional women's hormones running through his veins).  Stevens gives the impression that he would just look at you if you had f'd something up or were acting the fool, and you'd end up crapping your pants and falling in line

Yeah Stevens wasn't 'rah rah' by any means. He was 'do your job right or I'll fvcking kill you'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I missed the Hynes comment post game 81. Severson sometimes does seem like he is going through the motions out there and that can be frustrating. Thing is, we have little offensive ability from the d corps as it is that I would think it is unlikely we move him. Maybe if we sign Shattenkirk.

Here's what the coach said in the postgame, after being asked about benching him:

"There were some soft plays early in the game," Hynes said. "A soft pinch on a two-on-one against. He’s got to be more in tune, more prepared to play. He’s got to play harder on the ice. If we have seven defensemen and one guy doesn’t have it, you’re going to sit on the bench."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I only put Auvitu in my post as he'd been banished to the AHL and never came back up yet the likes of Stollery were getting game time. So I assumed Shero/Hynes didn't rate him. I'd like to see him get another chance.

DSP was definitely a let down. Occasional flashes of decent play negated by plenty of games where he just went through the motions.

What can be said about JJ? If ever there was a player that everyone wanted to succeed it's him but it's just never worked out for him. Time cut loose imo.

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Stevens wasn't 'rah rah' by any means. He was 'do your job right or I'll fvcking kill you'.

Fair enough, perhaps I should've used the word "motivational" instead.

My point though was that I'm sick of having a captain that never shows emotion.

But then again, we're all on the outside looking in.  Who knows what Greene's really like behind closed doors in the room.

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Josefson is totally worthless. He misses 30-40 games a year, has 18 career goals in 276 games. He's one of those guys who can disappear and we won't notice at all. What a bust.

totally agree, but somewhere there's probably a stat that says he's not all that bad.  After all these years personally I couldn't care less about that stat. He should be thankful he collected a NHL paycheck the last few years.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, titans04 said:

totally agree, but somewhere there's probably a stat that says he's not all that bad.  After all these years personally I couldn't care about that stat. He should be thankful he collected a NHL paycheck the last few years.

Agreed. I suspect his next team is in Europe, not the NHL. He's the last of the guys we've had that don't belong in the NHL, Gionta being another. Except when he's playing us, then the -ionta becomes -retzky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I think his point was that Greene probably seems like neither a vocal (i.e. speaking with words) nor a "lead by example" "do say I do, not as I say" kind of captain.  We need someone who is authoritative, which Stevens definitely was, even if it wasn't with his voice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

totally agree, but somewhere there's probably a stat that says he's not all that bad.  After all these years personally I couldn't care about that stat. He should be thankful he collected a NHL paycheck the last few years.

Yep I'm sure he's better than 54.5% of other C's as a play driver who has less than 40% of his zone starts in the eastern hemisphere while the moon is in retrograde. So it's just bad shooting luck. Clearly it won't continue.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yep I'm sure he's better than 54.5% of other C's as a play driver who has less than 40% of his zone starts in the eastern hemisphere while the moon is in retrograde and only when he puts his left skate on first. So it's just bad shooting luck. Clearly it won't continue.

you nailed it.  

Edited by titans04

Yep I'm sure he's better than 54.5% of other C's as a play driver who has less than 40% of his zone starts in the eastern hemisphere while the moon is in retrograde. So it's just bad shooting luck. Clearly it won't continue.

Lmfao. Advanced stats- the most overrated bullsh!t in sports.

• Like 4