The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

South Park GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

SUBSCRIBE

I haven't taken Hockey News seriously in years.  Back in our 'glory days' they'd always predict us to miss the playoffs.  I even remember a couple times reading about how certain players were "wasting their careers" in New Jersey.

There's an obvious Canadian bias.  The fact that they left Malkin off their top-100 sealed the deal for me.  They're a joke.

fvck The Hockey News. They HATE the Devils. I used to get the magazine, but I dropped it years ago. The worst I remember was a cover story of something to the effect of "Marty Brodeur is one of the best of all-time, but please don't let his team win Stanley." Some bs about trap...blah...blah...boring...blah, etc. I even wrote a letter pointing out reasons why they were actually pretty exciting to watch at times in the early 00's. Ofc it wasn't printed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This would be obviously great. Just with the exception that I would want Auvitu to get another shot. Dude was fire before he got hurt.

I don't see where if they are able to accomplish what I show above. And while he started out with some nice offensive contributions, his defense was clearly untenable. The fact that he was getting scratched on the regular in Albany should tell you what you need to know.

• Like 1

There is absolutely zero way that Dallas trades us the #3 just for Cory. He went for the 9th overall when he was in his twenties. Now, he's 31 and coming off his worst season as a pro. It would make no sense for them to trade such a high pick for him now, especially when you see the way the lottery works right out in the open, where you can suck as badly as the Avs did and still pick 4th. They're going to take that pick and be happy with whoever they draft. 

Not saying it's completely untradeable but they wouldn't trade it just for Cory. They'd need more from us.

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I haven't taken Hockey News seriously in years.  Back in our 'glory days' they'd always predict us to miss the playoffs.  I even remember a couple times reading about how certain players were "wasting their careers" in New Jersey.

There's an obvious Canadian bias.  The fact that they left Malkin off their top-100 sealed the deal for me.  They're a joke.

Missed that. That is a joke, he is one of the most dominant players of this generation and he usually steps up when his team needs him most.

2 hours ago, Steven M. said:

There is absolutely zero way that Dallas trades us the #3 just for Cory. He went for the 9th overall when he was in his twenties. Now, he's 31 and coming off his worst season as a pro. It would make no sense for them to trade such a high pick for him now, especially when you see the way the lottery works right out in the open, where you can suck as badly as the Avs did and still pick 4th. They're going to take that pick and be happy with whoever they draft. 

Not saying it's completely untradeable but they wouldn't trade it just for Cory. They'd need more from us.

Cory was younger but he also hadn't proven he was fully capable of being a full time #1 at the time of the trade.  Everyone strongly suspected he was but he was still a lot like Vasilivsky at the beginning of this season in terms of being a proven workhorse.  The Stars have two superstars in their prime, I think Cory works well with the age range of their current core.     

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The one thing I liked about the Hockey News back in the day is that it was the one publication that would give Patrik Elias his due.   They always seemed to have him in the top 15 when they listed their top 50 players.  

Now it's basically a rag I buy when I'm traveling or something.   I typically end up getting the digital issues of the draft preview, future stars and season preview and I looked at what I had on my ipad the other day and literally all but 2 covers the last few years were Matthews and/or Nylander.    

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'm not feeling the love and desire for Shattenkirk.  I don't see it. Not for what he'll supposedly command.

Who knows what will happen by July 1 but I feel like his number is coming down really fast in these playoffs, especially if Washington ends up bowing out in 5 or 6 games to a Crosby-less Pens team.  The key is that  even if we overpay, it has to be clear he's coming in to play the Marik Zidlicky role.   If a team is expecting him to come in and be a first pairing two way guy, it's going to be a train wreck.  

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'm not feeling the love and desire for Shattenkirk.  I don't see it. Not for what he'll supposedly command.

I pretty much agree with this. He hasn't done very much to state his case either with the post season he's been having. If his stock falls and he's somewhat reasonably priced, then I'm alright with still taking a shot. Otherwise let Broadway  be suckers and overpay for him.

I pretty much agree with this. He hasn't done very much to state his case either with the post season he's been having. If his stock falls and he's somewhat reasonably priced, then I'm alright with still taking a shot. Otherwise let Broadway  be suckers and overpay for him.

I've seen Rag fans online who are even calling for them to pass on Shattenkirk and not overpay- everyone is down on him big time right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

10 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Who knows what will happen by July 1 but I feel like his number is coming down really fast in these playoffs, especially if Washington ends up bowing out in 5 or 6 games to a Crosby-less Pens team.  The key is that  even if we overpay, it has to be clear he's coming in to play the Marik Zidlicky role.   If a team is expecting him to come in and be a first pairing two way guy, it's going to be a train wreck.  

9 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

With how bad Shattenkirk has been in the playoffs, and how much of an offer its going to take to get him, id almost pass. 

His playoffs have made it a much harder decision to just throw money and term at him.

8 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I've seen Rag fans online who are even calling for them to pass on Shattenkirk and not overpay- everyone is down on him big time right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't he still pretty much better than anyone the Devils currently have? Maybe not Severson, but who else?

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Isn't he still pretty much better than anyone the Devils currently have? Maybe not Severson, but who else?

He's way better than all the Devils D. He's looking meh because of on ice sv% (and shooting%) and everything else looks fine.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I don't get the Shattenkirk hate... he hasn't looked fantastic, but he's playing major minutes against the defending cup champs and the best player in the world. He's still leaps and bounds better than anyone else we have, and slides into #1D and PPQB immediately. 

It's just how internet message boards is I guess.  One minute the player is hot sh!t and the next minute it's lolz he sucks because of a few games.

You are 100% correct he is leaps and bounds better than any other D we have currently in the lineup or in our pipeline.

Kolvachuk is not better than Palmieri at this point. The unknown probably plays well for Kovalchuk's trade value since he is most likely a 50 point PP guy in the NHL now that is terrible defensively. NJ getting a 1st at this point would be great.

Who's hating on Shattenkirk? I just don't want to have to throw a ridiculous contract at him to get him and that's what I think its going to take. Hes absolutely better than anyone we have. That's not saying much though, and if its going to take a 6 or 7 year deal to sign him, with a full ntc, im not interested. That's it.

• Like 1

Do the Schneider trade then fleece the NHL and the open market by grabbing Bishop. 

Bishop w/ Kari as backup, and the 3rd overall. Sign Shattenkirk and Oshie, sign and trade Kovy then march to the playoffs. 

Edited by TheMazz
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That's another thing... if he "breaks the bank", who cares? We paid Mark Savard $6m this season. The NHL cap hit is going up every single year, and we've taken on plenty of bad contracts that haven't left us cap-stretched. We haven't been a "close to the cap" team in a while, and I can't see why we'd worry about that when the majority of our talent is going to be on entry level or RFA deals for the 6-7 years that Shattenkirk is signed. Give him 1m more per year than anyone else is offering, and smile in the fact that you've landed a top NHL talent at the cost of no assets. 

Nitpick (sorry) but "we" paid Savard $575K; the cap hit was $4-ish though.  

The problem is, Shattenkirk is not a #1 defensemen, and has some holes in his game.  However, he is going to get paid like one on July1, and the expectations for this guy are going to be through the roof, no matter what team he signs with.  Unfortunately, he will never live up to his contract or the expectations that come with it, even though those expectations are unfair and unrealistic. 

That said, we absolutely should try to sign him in FA.  Like others have already said, he is better than anything we have on our roster.  Moreover, we have absolutely nothing in our system other than Rykov, who is likely at least 2 years from coming over from Russia.  I still don't think he will sign here, but it's worth the shot at this point.  His down playoffs is not ideal for him, but it doesn't diminish the player he is or what he has done in his career to date.  In fact, it might actually work to our advantage a bit and bring down the overall price on his deal a little.    

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheMazz said:

Do the Schneider trade then fleece the NHL and the open market by grabbing Bishop. 

Bishop w/ Kari as backup, and the 3rd overall. Sign Shattenkirk and Oshie, sign and trade Kovy then march to the playoffs. 

It sounds nice in theory, but it's never going to happen.  I just don't think Dallas would do that deal, even though it might make some sense for them. 

I have to say though, the Hockey News article brought up a very intriguing possibility.  I'd hate to trade Cory, but it makes too much sense if we could get the #3, use it to draft MIttlestadt or the top D on the board, then find a way to pickup a goalie in the offseason by way of trade or FA signing.  What scares me is that Shero wouldn't go for Bishop, but instead would make a trade with Pitt for Fleury.  He's definitely upping his value these playoffs, and Pitt needs to move him or risk losing Murray in the expansion draft.  It lines up perfectly for Ray to bring in another Pen to the org, which he loves to do.