The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The point is, to my knowledge at least, if you control his rights you can add an extra year (8) if you were so inclined 

You can only add the 8th year if he played for you in the previous season, so even if we traded for his rights we wouldn't be able to add the additional year.

19 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Now you've lost me. Are you aware that Shattenkirk is a UFA? It takes nothing to acquire him, unless we trade for his rights (to be able to give him an 8th year)

I also have no idea how you can call him an "unsure thing". His stats have been incredibly consistent for 5+ years in a row now. 

If you think he's even remotely thinking of signing with us after July 1 you're dreaming. It will take a trade to get him if we ever do.

Maybe RWTD is trying to taper expectations, but yeah I've gotta agree that quite a few places indicate we'll be in play for Shattenkirk.

And, for the reasons listed right above this post, I think we have a better-than-not chance of getting him.

I'm pretty optimistic, honestly.

I'm fairly optimistic we'll get him too.  Even prior to getting the #1 pick and the rumors about Kovalchuk, I think we are, hopefully, a team on the rise rather than continual decline (you could argue, how much further could we fall and worse could it get, but still).   I just don't see a ton of downsides to coming here.  He wants to be in the area.  We're a young team with some talent in the pipeline.  He'd be the #1 PP d-man that he wants to be.  And possibly most importantly, maybe to him anyway - we will in all likelihood be the ones that are able to offer him the most money.

Couple that with the fact that we also have the #1 overall pick this year, plus a possibly of a Kovalchuk return and/or at least something in exchange for him, and you have some pretty cool things happening with the franchise right now and some really good reasons to be excited.  

John Moore selected by Las Vegas

Trade for Jacob Silverberg and Calvin De Haan. Both would be exposed.

Taylor Hall - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri

Adam Henrique - Nolan Patrick - Jacob Silverberg

Mike Cammalleri - Pavel Zacha - Beau Bennett

Miles Wood - Joseph Blandisi - Nick Lappin

Calvin De Haan- Kevin Shattenkirk

Andy Greene - Damon Severson

Jon Merrill - Steven Santini

Cory Schneider

Keith Kinkaid

• Like 2

I've been a fan of the young guys in EDM for a while and Eberle/Gagne were always some fun guys to watch. They were just kind of "streaky". With Hall here i would think it is possible and certainly wouldn't mind having him at a reasonable price. Any B- player paired with Hall is bumped up at least a half letter grade I would think. 

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but according to various sources that simply isn't true. I'd like to channel my inner Mike Brown for the purpose of this post:

1. He wants to play in the tri-state area.

2. We can offer him the most money, by far. 

3. With the addition of the first overall pick, we seem to be a team just about to hit their stride. This isn't 2013 and a team full of old, slow, and over the hill players. 

4. The Rangers will have enough trouble staying under the cap as it is. 

5. One of the speculated reasons he turned down STL's proposed contract was because he wanted to be "the" guy. The minute-eater, top-pairing PPQB. He immediately becomes one of the most marketed players on the Devils if he signs here. 

But anyway; if you're curious -- type "Shattenkirk Devils" into google. Plenty of big names have speculated that we'll be major players in the Shattenkirk sweeps. Not saying we'll 100% get him, but I am certainly not "dreaming".

God I really hope you're right

12 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Cory Schneider

Keith Kinkaid

I think there will better options for defense on the market than De Haan. Not saying I don't want him just think there is better

I definitely like de Haan, but if we're going for one player that will be exposed in the expansion draft, I'm maybe more interested in Ekholm from Nashville. Another option is probably going to be Vatanen, since Anaheim will most likely be protecting Bieksa, Lindholm, and Fowler if they go 7-3-1. Another guy who could be exposed is Namestnikov from Tampa, who is someone I would rather have on the Devils than half of the forwards we'll end up protecting. I think Vegas takes Merrill if the Devils trade for another D, since there's gonna be some Conte influence over there.

What does everyone think of trying to sign Radulov to a multiyear deal? I feel like a talented player like that would go well with some of the younger guys on the team. I agree that I could see Shero making a serious move for Shattenkirk, although I am a bit more skeptical than most about overpaying. IMO the Devils will be a competitive team quite soon, and it would really suck to have a bad contract holding them back if that's what it becomes. I am less familiar with Shattenkirk's game now than I was a couple of years ago, though.

A year from now (after McLeod and this year's first round pick have settled in), we could be looking at:

Hall-McLeod-Palmieri

Zacha-Patrick-Radulov

Henrique-Zajac-Cammalleri

Quenneville-Namestnikov-Wood

Blandisi, Lappin, Bastian, others

Greene-Shattenkirk

Ekholm-Severson

Moore-Santini

Lovejoy

Schneider

Backup

Regardless of what happens, this will be the biggest offseason in quite some time for the Devils. It's a really exciting time to be a fan!

What are the chances we take on a player like Bieksa and a 1st/B+ prospect? Obviously he'd have to want to come here. I feel like there's more of a chance of this than the Ducks moving Fowler/Vatanen and STILL risk losing the other in expansion. 

I think we alll would want an impact player, but if these teams won't budge, we still have an opportunity to take on salary.

The real question is, if you were Anaheim, would you move your first round pick as a sweetener to protect a quality defensemen? 

21 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Cory Schneider

Keith Kinkaid

for 1 year, then zajac gets moved down a line or 2 if he doesn't score.. Patrick and zacha move up... those are good pairings on D

if cammy rebounds that's a PO roster

11 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

What are the chances we take on a player like Bieksa and a 1st/B+ prospect? Obviously he'd have to want to come here. I feel like there's more of a chance of this than the Ducks moving Fowler/Vatanen and STILL risk losing the other in expansion. 

I think we alll would want an impact player, but if these teams won't budge, we still have an opportunity to take on salary.

The real question is, if you were Anaheim, would you move your first round pick as a sweetener to protect a quality defensemen? 

If I'm Anaheim, I'd buy Bieksa out before I trade Fowler or Vatanen, he is just too slow in todays NHL and continues to decline.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:28 AM, nessus said:

I definitely like de Haan, but if we're going for one player that will be exposed in the expansion draft, I'm maybe more interested in Ekholm from Nashville. Another option is probably going to be Vatanen, since Anaheim will most likely be protecting Bieksa, Lindholm, and Fowler if they go 7-3-1. Another guy who could be exposed is Namestnikov from Tampa, who is someone I would rather have on the Devils than half of the forwards we'll end up protecting. I think Vegas takes Merrill if the Devils trade for another D, since there's gonna be some Conte influence over there.

What does everyone think of trying to sign Radulov to a multiyear deal? I feel like a talented player like that would go well with some of the younger guys on the team. I agree that I could see Shero making a serious move for Shattenkirk, although I am a bit more skeptical than most about overpaying. IMO the Devils will be a competitive team quite soon, and it would really suck to have a bad contract holding them back if that's what it becomes. I am less familiar with Shattenkirk's game now than I was a couple of years ago, though.

A year from now (after McLeod and this year's first round pick have settled in), we could be looking at:

Hall-McLeod-Palmieri

Zacha-Patrick-Radulov

Henrique-Zajac-Cammalleri

Quenneville-Namestnikov-Wood

Blandisi, Lappin, Bastian, others

Greene-Shattenkirk

Ekholm-Severson

Moore-Santini

Lovejoy

Schneider

Backup

Regardless of what happens, this will be the biggest offseason in quite some time for the Devils. It's a really exciting time to be a fan!

Nashville can protect 8 skaters, regardless of position. They almost certainly will protect their top 4 on D. Or they will go 7F3D and pay VGK to not take the dman they do not protect.

8 hours ago, Marshall said:

Nashville can protect 8 skaters, regardless of position. They almost certainly will protect their top 4 on D. Or they will go 7F3D and pay VGK to not take the dman they do not protect.

Is "paying" Vegas to not select certain players legal?

I can't imagine the NHL condones Nashville throwing a draft pick Vegas's way on the condition that they don't take a certain player.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I can't imagine the NHL condones Nashville throwing a draft pick Vegas's way on the condition that they don't take a certain player.

It happened in the last expansion draft and nothing to indicate it won't be allowed this time around.  Problem is that the point of the expansion rules and the enormous fee Vegas had to pay is that they'll be a competitive team sooner.  So at some point they're going to want to select good players from some teams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

yeah, it is definitely legal, its the one piece of actual leverage Vegas will have, they can pretty much demand what they want to not select players

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't see why not, it's a form of trading. As long as the currency is draft picks and not money or poker chips or strippers or something along that line.

• Like 3