The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

17 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If the team is good would this even remotely matter?

But I guess whatever helps you guys keep banging those war drums.

Of course it would. We could have just won the cup and I would still think these jerseys were awful. 

They look sh!tty. 

Can you actually name a feature on this jersey that is an improvement over the last jersey?

I was open to some form of change if there was a good reason for it. As I have said before I don't mind the arm stripes, quite like the shoulders, but the jersey looks unfinished. The black stripe around the bottom makes zero sense given the black shorts and watching the prospect challenge it looked like the players were wearing jerseys that were too short. 

We had one of the top five jerseys in the league, I suppose this jersey typifies the team over the last 5 years, we now finally have uniforms that match the product we have seen on the ice. 

14 hours ago, moustic said:

(keep the boring stuff about jerseys in the proper topic.. pollute in only one place please ; ) ) 

Sorry to bother you and take you away from the riveting world of countless line speculation.

14 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Those people who complain about the owners would still find something else to complain about. We could be winning and they would complain about not having the old goal song... Plus winning means price increases so that's even more to complain about. 

I've been trying to stick to complaining about things that deserve it. My ticket reps have been awful this year and last year. I'd be complaining about them even if we went 82-0 that's how bad some of them have been. I also think the new jersey changes are absolutely a poor choice. It is what it is. 

It would be a little less magnified.  It wasn't as bad back in 11-12 when we were good (given we didn't have the goal song issue but the other stuff was still there).

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Of course it would. We could have just won the cup and I would still think these jerseys were awful. 

They look sh!tty. 

Can you actually name a feature on this jersey that is an improvement over the last jersey?

I was open to some form of change if there was a good reason for it. As I have said before I don't mind the arm stripes, quite like the shoulders, but the jersey looks unfinished. The black stripe around the bottom makes zero sense given the black shorts and watching the prospect challenge it looked like the players were wearing jerseys that were too short. 

We had one of the top five jerseys in the league, I suppose this jersey typifies the team over the last 5 years, we now finally have uniforms that match the product we have seen on the ice. 

My point is you wouldn't like them, but you wouldn't be focused on them and people wouldn't go overboard with the hyperbole over them.

I have said many times I agree it's a downgrade.  I wish they just kept the design.  However I am not going to beat the war drums over this like you see on here, HFBoards and social media (often from the same people who can't let go).

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

My point is you wouldn't like them, but you wouldn't be focused on them and people wouldn't go overboard with the hyperbole over them.

I have said many times I agree it's a downgrade.  I wish they just kept the design.  However I am not going to beat the war drums over this like you see on here, HFBoards and social media (often from the same people who can't let go).

The new reveals (graphics mockup, mannequin, still photos, on ice & personalized) are what keep the fire burning.  You'll see two more waves:  one for preseason (we haven't seen the reds on ice yet, and not many fans bothered with streaming the prospect games), and another once the regular season starts (not everyone bothers with preseason).  There will still be plenty of simmering, but you definitely won't see nearly as much of it.  It's still shocking, but even if they're awful, the more we see them, the less shocking they'll become.

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The new reveals (graphics mockup, mannequin, still photos, on ice & personalized) are what keep the fire burning.  You'll see two more waves:  one for preseason (we haven't seen the reds on ice yet, and not many fans bothered with streaming the prospect games), and another once the regular season starts (not everyone bothers with preseason).  There will still be plenty of simmering, but you definitely won't see nearly as much of it.  It's still shocking, but even if they're awful, the more we see them, the less shocking they'll become.

I don't think most casual fans will really notice much outside of the first few games. I remember showing it to a devils fan who is more casual and she basically just said "why does it look weird" and then moved on. 

I personally don't like them and don't think there was enough change to warrant changing anything. Once they came up with the one they have now, they should have shrugged and stuck to the old ones. But when you dump all that money into researching and redoing the jerseys, I guess they felt like they had to change something to justify it.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't think most casual fans will really notice much outside of the first few games. I remember showing it to a devils fan who is more casual and she basically just said "why does it look weird" and then moved on. 

I personally don't like them and don't think there was enough change to warrant changing anything. Once they came up with the one they have now, they should have shrugged and stuck to the old ones. But when you dump all that money into researching and redoing the jerseys, I guess they felt like they had to change something to justify it.  

There is no way any research went into this. if they truly researched and explored and put real thought into this then nothing would change. This looks to have been a very very secretive process done behind closed doors by somebody who is very stubborn and divorced from reality. It just feels like Hugh Weber was the main person driving this.

I don't think they even allowed anybody into the room who would shrug and say let's stick with the old/nicer jersey. 

Edited by '7'

Didn't have a chance to post this yesterday - Taylor Hall worked on his skating this offseason, among other things. In this article, #26, 27 & 28 have to do (at least somewhat) with Hall - this is #26: 

Taylor Hall made three significant changes to his off-season preparation. First, he returned to the ice two months earlier than normal, in June instead of August. Second, “I wanted to become a better skater. I took power skating for the first time,” working with the respected Dawn Braid, who has a relationship with both John Tavares and the Arizona Coyotes. Third, “I moved to Toronto this summer for the first time in my life, to skate with NHL guys.” His peers included Tavares, Jason Spezza, Jeff Skinner and Sam Gagner.

Hall chose not to live downtown, going to a quieter area in the west end. “It was really easy to get to my gym. My dad trained me my whole life, taught a lot of speed, athletics. It was either Matt Nichol, Andy O’Brien or Gary Roberts. I went with Andy, and he helped me get a bit stronger, a bit more balanced.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-making-sense-matt-duchenes-situation/ 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Anyone catch this? Dude won free season tickets: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-fan-achieves-retweet-goal-for-season-tickets/c-291027564

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's sh!t, I can't stand the trend of rewarding retweets for no reason. The team can't even send out the requested stock tickets to its season ticket holders when there's a game Monday, absolute joke. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Honestly, who cares? Let's get some asses in the seats and this giveaway from the outside makes the organization look friendlier and cooler to new fans, it's not like they hiked up ticket prices by double for returning holders and then gave away 500 packages for free. It's not an insult to anyone, it's just a fun one time giveaway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think it's sh!t, I can't stand the trend of rewarding retweets for no reason. The team can't even send out the requested stock tickets to its season ticket holders when there's a game Monday, absolute joke. 

You realize the marketing department that runs the twitter has literally nothing to do with the sales reps that handle your tickets?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

You realize the marketing department that runs the twitter has literally nothing to do with the sales reps that handle your tickets?

It all goes hand and hand. If someone actually decides to buy tickets because of this, which isn't happening anyway, when they talk to the dog sh!t ticketing department they won't bother coming back. 

Using this as marketing is a joke and I hate this trend online with constant people asking for free sh!t because of retweets. Who is buying full season tickets because they gave away a free set on Twitter? Gimme a break. This team is terrible at marketing. This is a good representation though of a large portion of our cheap ass fan base that trys to get things for nothing.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

It all goes hand and hand. If someone actually decides to buy tickets because of this, which isn't happening anyway, when they talk to the dog sh!t ticketing department they won't bother coming back. 

Using this as marketing is a joke and I hate this trend online with constant people asking for free sh!t because of retweets. Who is buying full season tickets because they gave away a free set on Twitter? Gimme a break. This team is terrible at marketing. This is a good representation though of a large portion of our cheap ass fan base that trys to get things for nothing.

Totally agree with this.

eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18

• Haha 1

The ticket staff is a joke... 

Thank you for your continued support of the New Jersey Devils. Per your request, you will be receiving hard-copy tickets for the upcoming 2017-18 New Jersey Devils season.

Due to a delay in shipping, your preseason tickets for Monday, September 18, and Saturday, September 23, will be available using one of the two methods below:

Digital Entry
Access your tickets digitally via your New Jersey Devils AccountManager in the Devils NHL mobile app. Open the app, scroll to "Manage Tickets" and log into Devils AccountManager. You can digitally transfer your tickets to friends, family or colleagues using the app.
On-Site Pickup
Pick up your tickets on game day by visiting the Prudential Center Box Office, conveniently located on Edison Place. If you would like to have your tickets left in another guest's name, please submit your request at least 24 hours before puck drop of that game.

4 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Don't think it's fair to get after a 16 year old kid for not being able to afford season tickets, just sayin'

Also, that's not just our fan base. Trying to get something for nothing is prevalent throughout society, our fan base is no different. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You got it rough dude. Did your limo driver fail to restock the Grey Poupon in the glove compartment too?

;)

Haha... But seriously though, how does the ticket department not get the tickets out in time? They even had sent an email out last month with a deadline to request them so we would receive them in time. This is a major league sports franchise but from the ticketing department I would never guess it. I have Red Bulls season tickets, they got us those in plenty of time before the season starts.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Don't think it's fair to get after a 16 year old kid for not being able to afford season tickets, just sayin'

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, that's not just our fan base. Trying to get something for nothing is prevalent throughout society, our fan base is no different. 

So that makes it ok? The rest of the idiots do it so we should as well? Have you ever tried to deal with selling your tickets in those Devils Facebook groups? It's embarrassing. It's why I don't even bother with social media when it comes to this team anymore. It's a wasteland of stupid idiots and I have 0 patience for it. 

I know I've been on a complaining spree today but for fvcks sakes people pay thousands of dollars and they can't even get an intern to sit there and print out tickets and put them in an envelope to be mailed?  Not even minor league teams have this much lack of responsibility when it comes to the ticketing departments.