In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

I will say- I wouldnt be opposed to having him here if that's what they decide to do. It'd be nice to have some skill next to McLeod or Zacha and NJ can probably get a good amount for him at the deadline if he's producing at a good clip. I could see him coming here at 1 year, 6 million on a 'show me' contract. The tricky thing is, his next contract would then be a 35+ deal.

Just now, Jerzey said:

In a way I think Kovy kind of does fit into our window. If not we might as well trade Hall and Cory away too because that window wouldn't be open before Hall's contract is up and Cory is about Kovy's age now.

Cory is three years younger than Kovy...that's fairly significant, especially since both players are in their 30s.

Another negative, as far as Kovy goes, is how much of Lemaire's work is still ingrained in him?  Kovy was never going to be a defensive stalwart, but Lemaire at least got Kovy to start addressing the weaknesses in his game.  Like Tri alluded to, Kovy's been playing on great KHL teams where he can probably get away with an awful lot.  The Devils would need him to be better than he probably is at this point. 

9 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

It just isnt good use of a free asset that probably doesnt want to play here and is old

Immediately slotting in to be our third highest scorer isn't worth it? With the ability to trade him at a deadline to a contender? And, assuming again the 50 points, you probably get better value after he's proven himself. 

If he legitimately wants to come back, NJ has to take him as he is an asset.  Then it is up to Shero to decide how best to maximize the value of that asset, whether it is through a trade or sign him to the roster.  No doubt that there are a lot of Devils fans that will be pissed and boo him ... until he lights the lamp.  Personally, I would prefer that they trade him, and he never plays another game in a Devils uniform.  But, I won't boo him and won't be too pissed if he is on the roster next season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

If he legitimately wants to come back, NJ has to take him as he is an asset.  Then it is up to Shero to decide how best to maximize the value of that asset, whether it is through a trade or sign him to the roster.  No doubt that there are a lot of Devils fans that will be pissed and boo him ... until he lights the lamp.  Personally, I would prefer that they trade him, and he never plays another game in a Devils uniform.  But, I won't boo him and won't be too pissed if he is on the roster next season. 

Yup, pretty much where I stand

Shero would be very short sided if he didn't try to get Kovy to come back to NJ.  Kovy is a pure, natural talent and would be worth the price of admission.

He comes at low risk, high reward.

In the end, I think what prevents Kovy from coming back is Kovy himself and whether or not he wants to play on a team that is clearly not playoff bound.

• Like 1

I don't really care what we get for him. If this occurs, and we get anything at all, it is a boon for this franchise. It's literally picking an asset out of thin air and throwing it onto the pile. If we need to let him play for half a year or something before we trade him then so be it.

The politics aside, if Illya came back to NJ with the mindset he had unfinished business and really wanted to be here it would just be incredible. Him playing with hall would make this team so much better than it is in it's current state. When you just think about the difference he was making on the NJ power play almost from his first game and translating that to now, that is the difference from being outside the playoffs to being in. I'm guess I'm drinking the coolaid a little, but having different ownership and management could affect things. Other the flipside, a bidding war for him only works in NJ's favor as well. Like him or not everyone should be happy if this happens. Like Steven M said, its a windfall. Who doesn't like free sh!t? ^

Edited by NJDevils1214

I mean if you think about it, we could sign him and then ship him out of town while retaining 1/2 of his salary to get some insane value for him.

If we sign him to, I don't know, 1-year 6M.. what would a cup-contender like Chicago give away for a very cheap elite-ish forward?

You might be able to get something pretty great.

Hell, maybe ship him to Washington for Shattenkirk's rights and a 1st/2nd.  

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Holy Jesus some of you guys are dramatically overvaluing a 35 year old who hasn't played in the NHL in 4 years....

Devils fans have a huge blind spot with this guy, and in more ways then one.... It's like a fvcking cult. If someone is willing to do a sign and trade, fine by me... I'm sick and tired of hearing about this moron though, so I'd welcome a deal that can get us an asset or two back, if it also assures I never have to hear his name mentioned by another Devils fan ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Holy Jesus some of you guys are dramatically overvaluing a 35 year old who hasn't played in the NHL in 4 years....

It's not like he's been sitting on his couch for that time drinking and smoking.  He tore up the KHL and might have led that league in points (don't know for sure).  He's 34, which is not that old for some players, although it is for others, so yeah, we don't really know for sure about that.

Unless we're getting an overvalued return, like a top 15 pick or a top defense prospect, I want him back. 

EDIT:   Or let me put it this way.  Let's say after the last lockout, for whatever reason Pavel Datsyuk was Devils property, and you could negotiate a new deal with him or potentially trade his rights.  We'd all be ecstatic.  Well he was the same age as Kovy is now, and put up fewer points per game than Kovy did this past season.

DOUBLE EDIT:  Actually, f'd up my math.  Two years younger than Kovy is now, but you get the idea.  Or you can look at Datsyuk's numbers this year.  Would you really be like "whatevs" if you could get Datsyuk right now?

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's not like he's been sitting on his couch for that time drinking and smoking.  He tore up the KHL and might have led that league in points (don't know for sure).  He's 34, which is not that old for some players, although it is for others, so yeah, we don't really know for sure about that.

Unless we're getting an overvalued return, like a top 15 pick or a top defense prospect, I want him back. 

EDIT:   Or let me put it this way.  Let's say after the last lockout, for whatever reason Pavel Datsyuk was Devils property, and you could negotiate a new deal with him or potentially trade his rights.  We'd all be ecstatic.  Well he was the same age as Kovy is now, and put up fewer points per game than Kovy did this past season.

Kovalchuk has had one great season in the KHL - this past one.  Otherwise he has been a point-a-game player since returning to the KHL, which is quite good; he's probably been the top scorer over the last 4 years, but hardly the stuff of elite NHLers.    Remember, the KHL is not a whole lot better than the AHL and in some ways it might be worse in this case because Kovalchuk is on the best team by far and he never has to play against his own team.  

Don't compare him to someone like Pavel Datsyuk, who was both a fantastic offensive player as well as elite defensively.  Kovalchuk is a cipher outside of the goals and assists he scores.

His timing is great.  If he'd waited another year, he could've just come back into the league and we wouldn't get a blessed thing.  If we are able get *something* for *free*, that'd be amazing in the state of rebuilding that we're in.  Yes please. :evil:

If it means he has to play here for part of the year to bolster his trade value - ok, sure. As mentioned, we don't have much better and we could always use an exciting player... Plus we certainly could use the scoring help. And we have the cap space.  Bygones.  

I'd prefer a sign and trade though - he's never been my favorite. 

3 hours ago, SMantzas said:

It just isnt good use of a free asset that probably doesnt want to play here and is old

Sorry, but that doesn't make much sense.  How is that bad use of a free asset?  Is there such a thing?  Free typically means no risk.  What then, would be good use of him?  Are you suggesting that trading his rights?  Because that would seem to be the only other option, seeing as how if he returns, he's our property and could only play for us.

I highly, highly doubt it, to the point where I probably won't even entertain the thought of it again after I finish posting this, but if it were to happen, I just don't see any real downside to it.  I have my own feelings about the guy and what transpired a few years ago, but that's in the past now, and it also is pretty irrelevant from a hockey/business standpoint anyway.

I'm in favor of signing Kovalchuk because I think he is easily a top 6 player in the NHL, and probably good enough to be first line on the Devils. I'd prefer a sign and trade, but only if we can get a first rounder or a prospect that has a good chance of being an impact player in the next couple of years. The problem is, I don't see how Kovalchuk alone gets this done. SMantzas mentioned Vrana and Puljujarvi, which would be an amazing return (either one), but the Devils would have to add significantly IMO.

If the best we can get is a second rounder, then I'd rather have Kovalchuk on the team to help the Devils start winning sooner. I also believe there is value in having a player like that around McLeod and especially Zacha, who are likely going to be big parts of the future of this team.

Edited by nessus

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Sorry, but that doesn't make much sense.  How is that bad use of a free asset?  Is there such a thing?  Free typically means no risk.  What then, would be good use of him?  Are you suggesting that trading his rights?  Because that would seem to be the only other option, seeing as how if he returns, he's our property and could only play for us.

I agree. 

My bottom line is, his KHL stats suggest he is better than at least half of our offensive players, even if he has declined. How do you not even give him a look if that's the case? What are the odds of getting anything in return that is better than a 34 year old Kovy? 

And, even if you are going to trade him ultimately, his value is obviously more if he comes back to the NHL and shows he can compete. Then he'd bring an even better return. I'd take that chance. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Umm, yes, this. Shattenkirk plus a 1st????

It doesn't seem that outrageous to me, assuming Washington doesn't intend to resign Shattenkirk.

You're essentially trading a top line forward with a bargain cap-friendly contract to the Presidents Trophy winners.  I don't think expecting a late 1st round pick is that absurd personally.

Especially if a bidding war takes place.

Edited by Devilsfan118

32 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It doesn't seem that outrageous to me, assuming Washington doesn't intend to resign Shattenkirk.

You're essentially trading a top line forward with a bargain cap-friendly contract to the Presidents Trophy winners.  I don't think expecting a late 1st round pick is that absurd personally.

Especially if a bidding war takes place.

If he's a top line forward, then he should stay here. On our top line. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Devils fans have a huge blind spot with this guy, and in more ways then one.... It's like a fvcking cult. If someone is willing to do a sign and trade, fine by me... I'm sick and tired of hearing about this moron though, so I'd welcome a deal that can get us an asset or two back, if it also assures I never have to hear his name mentioned by another Devils fan ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could not agree more.  How many on the bandwagon have seen him play more than 4-5 games since he left here, if that.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Triumph said:

While this certainly exists, I can't imagine it's a widely-held belief among Devils fans at large - I certainly think Kovalchuk would get plenty of boos if were to become a Devil again.  Gomez left for the Rangers, but he did so 7 years before he came back, and went through 3 other teams in between, plus he had 2 Stanley Cups with the team.  Kovalchuk has very little of that on him, plus he had a signed contract and left - it's just a different scenario.

While sometimes message board anger can differ from real anger (Stephen Gionta was constantly ripped on message boards yet one of the most popular Devils with fans at the arena), I think you're wrong here.  People aren't going to care that he walked out if he comes back and can help a team that's been bad for years, especially with this mindset that him walking out saved us on the cap anyway.  Or that at least he didn't go to another NHL team.

22 hours ago, Daniel said:

We have the opportunity to get a player I feel will help the team a lot, and make games more exciting to watch.  I was actually never mad at him leaving, same as I was never mad at Parise for leaving.  (Gomez is another story becaus it was the Rangers, and then, to make matters worse, the Rags traded him for a better player.) Now, after a while, I realized that the contract we'd have to be dealing with for Kovy or Parise would not make things worth it.  But I'd take Kovy back on a reasonable deal in a minute, same as I would for Parise if that could theoretically happen.  

Except Parise (and Gomez) actually left as free agents.  Free as in they had the right to choose where they wanted to go.  Kovalchuk walked out on a long-term contract to go play in another league, and after the team paid a hefty price in terms of penalties for his contract.

And this idea that we should thank him for walking out because it saved us on the cap is silly.  Sure that was the end result but if you believe that's why he walked out you're just looking to rationalize him wanting the money and adulation for less work back home.  If he was trying to do the team a favor with the contract he wouldn't have needed an illegal contract to come here in the first place.  It'd be in a sense like crediting Lou for keeping pick #29 if Matteau somehow became a good player, it was still the wrong decision even if that happened.

Edited by NJDevs4978