In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/881939634242150400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D134334755%23post134334755

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud

Kovalchuk to #Blackhawks makes sense for Ray Shero, if he wants to keep him out of the division (#NYR, #CBJ). Something happening soon.

I have always had a sense that Shero would make a pitch to the Blackhawks for either Seabrook or Keith.  I wouldn't mind Kane either. 

I would say Kovy (plus 50% retention), Rico, Zacha OR a conditional 1st rounder for  Kane and Keith.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Or Duncan Keith. He's decent. emoji14.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus less rapey, so that's good also. 

9 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I have always had a sense that Shero would make a pitch to the Blackhawks for either Seabrook or Keith.  I wouldn't mind Kane either. 

I would say Kovy (plus 50% retention), Rico, Zacha OR a conditional 1st rounder for  Kane and Keith.

I'd think we'd have to do that deal. 

12 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Not enough. I'm gonna need Toews and Saad too.

• Like 2

Slava Malmud has been wrong about pretty much everything on the Kovy front thus far.  He also claimed that Boston is going to give Eichel an offer sheet that Buffalo wouldn't match.  So I wouldn't really trust him for information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitico12 said:

Not a chance in hell CH makes that trade even at gunpoint.  I don't think they make the first deal either.  

32 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

How about: 

Hossa's Contract + DeBrincat + 1st round pick 

for 

Kovalchuk @ 50% retained.

That's basically $8 million plus in dead cap space for four years, and you don't know if the league will let you get away with the LTIR for Hossa's rash.  A bridge too far for me.

Edited by Daniel

Is there anything suggesting that it will end today?  I mean I guess he's had the weekend to think about it and seeing all the other offers come through, but I don't see any reason why it won't continue with the same back and forth crap for the next few weeks.  

Just going by one report on Saturday that no decision will be made until Monday.
Oh my the drama continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Isn't Hossa's cap hit 5.75? 

And physical money, he's only making 1m/year. If we're not gonna be anywhere near the cap ceiling any time soon, why not? 

But you're also retaining half of Kovys salary which is likely going to be around $6million AAV.  So Hossa plus Kovys retained is around $8+ million in dead cap space.  

I'd really want a real top pairing defenseman to do that, which would almost defeat the purpose since the Devils may not be able to afford a guy like that with all the wasted cap space.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

But you're also retaining half of Kovys salary which is likely going to be around $6million AAV.  So Hossa plus Kovys retained is around $8+ million in dead cap space.  

I'd really want a real top pairing defenseman to do that, which would almost defeat the purpose since the Devils may not be able to afford a guy like that with all the wasted cap space.

If you're taking the Hossa contract, you shouldn't have to retain any of Kovy's salary. 

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Kovy would be a 3 year deal; and I don't see us being a cap team in 3 years.

I'm as annoyed at people who fret about cap space for teams like the Devils as the next guy.  Just that much dead cap space for a long time is a lot even for teams like the Devils.  

Funny, that was my first thought yesterday when I heard Chicago might be interested... man, I'd love to get DeBrincat!  I was SO hoping he'd drop to us in the second round last year.  I'd do Kovy for DeBrincat, straight swap.  But I'm not sure they'd be interested in that since they need cheap young kids to come up so they can afford to keep the older guys on high contracts...  Fun to speculate anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

If true, it's as expected. And it makes total sense. Why the hell would he let someone else be in control of his landing spot rather than waiting one more year and coming back on his own terms? 

Everyone already thinks he's too old, he'll still be too old next year. 

Fvck you Kovy. Just watched Rocky IV and we all know who won that one.

Go America. 

• Like 2