The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

14 hours ago, NJDEVS1730 said:

Is it just the uniform or does NJ Devil look completely different in this photo?

It looks like he's wearing a big white nightshirt. Other than that...did they change him a bit too? He looks pretty much the same?

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For me, it really depends on the viewing angle (I still get a bit of the "eeeeeeeew" feeling when I see them head-on).  The best way I can put is that even though I'll always prefer the outgoing design (there isn't any aspect of the new one that I'd take over the old), I'm getting used to the new one more quickly than I thought. 

It's funny, already when I look at older footage the "old" shoulder yokes seem so much wider than I remember...kind of shows how quickly I'm getting used to the chopped yoke.  I really want to see what they look like on fans attending games. 

Well the reasoning behind the longer/wider shoulder yoke is to give the players the appearance of being bigger. Wider at the shoulders. The truncated shoulders just makes them look a bit...smaller. More compact. Not sure why exactly that was done since it's not an aesthetic upgrade on the players.

Guess it depends on the fan and how big a guy/girl you are. With folks who have naturally wide shoulders it will look silly. On women who have narrower shoulders it would probably look good. And I don't mean the womens fashion jersey but the regular Devils jersey.

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

If you watched the game in PEI tonight, it should be a reminder that our uniforms could always be worse. Ottawa's uniforms are just...yuck.

They can be, but they can also be a lot better. When they're able to fix things in 2019 I don't see them continuing on this path though. Because what can you do really?

You can't make the floaties wider, you can't make the shoulder yokes narrower they're both at the max already. The waist stripe is gone already so that makes the jersey looks empty. You can bring it back or just leave it empty. That or the NHL plans to fill that space with ads.

Either they correct their mistakes or we may actually get that full rebrand that was rumored but never happened. 

Just now, devlman said:

I actually like our new uniforms. Its a little different but I think we can use a little different as we embark on a fresh start. 

Most didn't want different for the sake of different. If you think this is an upgrade though then by all means you can buy it and enjoy it. But I don't think a fresh start should mean new uniforms if you already have great uniforms that are very very difficult to improve upon. Looking at our classic jerseys...even if somebody absolutely made me change them. I don't even know where I'd begin and how I could improve them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Most didn't want different for the sake of different. If you think this is an upgrade though then by all means you can buy it and enjoy it. But I don't think a fresh start should mean new uniforms if you already have great uniforms that are very very difficult to improve upon. Looking at our classic jerseys...even if somebody absolutely made me change them. I don't even know where I'd begin and how I could improve them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't semi-like them because theyre different. Rather, they've just kindve grown on me stylistically. It could be that young, fast talent sporting them are helping condition my eyes favorably towards the kit. Lord knows seeing the usual uniform from the previous five years makes me anticipate Ben lovejoy plodding hockey. I'm with you though in that I'd still prefer the originals. But, if they had to tweak it then I don't hate this modification.

6 hours ago, '7' said:

It looks like he's wearing a big white nightshirt. Other than that...did they change him a bit too? He looks pretty much the same?

#Irony

6 hours ago, '7' said:

I always like their uni's up until the late 90's. Thought they were classy for an expansion team. Then they went off the rails and never corrected things. 

Yup, the “original” 90’s jerseys were very nice. 

On 9/26/2017 at 0:29 AM, '7' said:

They can be, but they can also be a lot better. When they're able to fix things in 2019 I don't see them continuing on this path though. Because what can you do really?

You can't make the floaties wider, you can't make the shoulder yokes narrower they're both at the max already. The waist stripe is gone already so that makes the jersey looks empty. You can bring it back or just leave it empty. That or the NHL plans to fill that space with ads.

Either they correct their mistakes or we may actually get that full rebrand that was rumored but never happened. 

Im Not saying I prefer these jerseys over the others, but if they sell, they're not going anywhere.  Also if they sell more, not really sure how you call that a "mistake" .  All the complaining on njdevs, hockey boards,and Facebook is a tiny percentage compared to the fan base.  

Personally idc what they wear, I'm watching hockey, not a fashion show.

3 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Im Not saying I prefer these jerseys over the others, but if they sell, they're not going anywhere.  Also if they sell more, not really sure how you call that a "mistake" .  All the complaining on njdevs, hockey boards,and Facebook is a tiny percentage compared to the fan base.  

Bingo.  Also don't say that to the folks on HFBoards.  They tend to think they represent and/or speak for the entire fanbase.

6 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Everyone already knows that...that it's ultimately sales that are going to dictate the future of these jerseys...and yeah, if it turns out that the majority of the fans really come to prefer these jerseys over the previous design, they can't really be called "wrong".  I plan on going to a LOT of games this season (I'm hoping it's at least 15), and I'm curious to see how many of these make their way into the arena as the season progresses...if there's a very significant and noticeable growth.