The Devils Uniforms

Since1982-83

Glad to be here, been a fan since the Tapio Levo and Marshall Johnston days. Was there when Lever scored the first goal in franchise history.

Lets talk logo and uniforms.

I read here previous that some Devils season ticket holders were asked to respond to a questionnaire sent out by management in relation to the uniforms?

This was following a report by Chris Ryan in the SL that the Devils told him the unis were staying intact.

Any thoughts on what we may see happening in the next few weeks ahead?

I have seen some say that they would not have a problem if the Devils removed the circle that is the backdrop for the now iconic Devils logo. I don't agree with this at all, simply having the logo on the front of the jersey without the circle would look horrendous IMO.

Thoughts?

Edited by Since1982-83
  • Like 2

Welcome to the boards.  I started with the 1983-84 Devils myself.  My parents took me to a 8-2 curbstomping at the hands of the Flyers (I was 13), but that was all it took for me to jump on board.

Jersey design/re-design talk has been discussed a lot on here, with the usual cross-section of opinions.  Some are fine with no changes at all, some wouldn't mind some tweaking as long as it's nothing too extreme (one member would like to see the black shoulder trim done away with, some others would like to see some green make its way back into the current design, etc), and some are OK with the idea of a more radical re-design in theory, but are afraid of Buffa-slug/Fishsticks-level disasters. 

I'm actually pretty open-minded on this (though I wouldn't complain one bit if the jerseys remained as is).  There was a mashup of the older style jersey with black replacing the green, and the general striping and trim pattern being part current and part retro.  I thought the very last photo on this thread (page 3) was kind of interesting: 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm actually pretty open-minded on this (though I wouldn't complain one bit if the jerseys remained as is).  There was a mashup of the older style jersey with black replacing the green, and the general striping and trim pattern being part current and part retro.  I thought the very last photo on this thread (page 3) was kind of interesting: 

I think that last one looks pretty nice. Modern and streamlined without changing too much. I don't like the idea of the logo without the circle though. I really didn't like the Lowell Devil's logo at all, even if you took out the stupid devil hiding behind the L. Unless they managed to screw things up Buff-a-slug bad, I probably wouldn't throw a fit. I'm more concerned with the play on the ice than the jerseys. It would be cool to have something that looks a little more...formidable looking I guess? Even if the team currently lacks the bite for the bark. 

EDIT: Also, welcome to the boards. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I used to have a black hat similar to below that had the NJ without the circle.  It looked great on the hat, not sure it would look as good as the main crest on the jersey.   

s-l1600.jpg

When they announced the color change, I had an idea for a jersey using that exact logo, and using this exact color scheme, later (almost) used by the Albany River Rats. 

51EE4557-0488-4AF3-A334-8F2038E8C91C_zps

Imagine my surprise when both surfaced, in separate parts, several years later! My 15ish year old self had really cool tattoo-style Devil face shoulder patches. I couldn't find one that was similar to my idea online, but I found this one that I think looks just like Adam Henrique which is funny enough to post. it would be my new profile pic if it wasn't watermarked. 40 year old me thinks that NJ map patches would be cooler. 

stock-vector-smiling-devil-face-vector-i

I know a lot of people hate black jerseys for some weird reason, but this one would have been money in the bank IMHO. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

I wouldn't have any issue with a slight modification to the suit, however, anything drastic, anything outlandish that changes the 'feel' of Devils hockey will be a drastic marketing mistake.

For those not concerned with our logo and overall look, you should be, this is our heritage, it's a legacy thing, and it speaks to all of those who have dropped sweat, blood, and tears on the ice over all the years this organization has become one of the most respected in all the NHL.  Our logo, although not as long tenured as an Original Six look, has not only stood the test of time since the 82-83 season, but in addition, it has become an iconic and immediately recognized marking within all sports circles.

If they want to change the striping pattern or redesign the shoulder areas, I'm okay with that - but DO NOT mess with the logo or make the revisions something that disrespects the tradition of our franchise.

The ONLY massive makeover that I would sign on for would be a return to our original colors because I LOVED that look...the red and green looked terrific and on the rare occasions they wear them now they look even better somehow.

I would also approve it if they would if they would please ditch the white helmets for road games and switch over to red helmets with the white jersey top.

Lastly, thanks to those with a hospitable welcome to the board...and can we please get a new public address announcer at The Rock? Oh for the days of the great Bob Arsena.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Welcome! I LOVE the Albany black jerseys. I remember as a kid always giving the Devils a black alternate jersey using the same pattern in NHL and such. Call me mainstream if you must, those black are awesome. 

I have one of those black jerseys (#31 Ahonen)...they were used for community events, and not worn on the ice.  I tried to get Ahren Nittel's jersey first, but that was already gone, so I bought this one instead.  I've put it up for sale here a couple of times, but with no takers. 

I should add that if they reverse the home red to a home black and simply switch everything on the jersey that is now red black and that is now black red...I'd have no issue with it. In fact, I think the jersey might look better like that.

4 hours ago, Since1982-83 said:

I should add that if they reverse the home red to a home black and simply switch everything on the jersey that is now red black and that is now black red...I'd have no issue with it. In fact, I think the jersey might look better like that.

Not me.  Black as the dominant color of a given jersey feels very played out to me.  I don't ever want to see the red relegated to secondary status. 

I still love the black and red as is, but have always been open to the concept I discussed previously (some trim styling similar to the old red and greens, or finding some way to work a little green into the current design).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not me.  Black as the dominant color of a given jersey feels very played out to me.  I don't ever want to see the red relegated to secondary status. 

I still love the black and red as is, but have always been open to the concept I discussed previously (some trim styling similar to the old red and greens, or finding some way to work a little green into the current design).

I agree. I'd be ok with a black third jersey eventually, but you can't "Rock Your Red" in a black jersey!!

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree. I'd be ok with a black third jersey eventually, but you can't "Rock Your Red" in a black jersey!!

That's actually a great point. I stand corrected!

I was very opposed to any modification, but have come around to a few things. A return to green would be fine, and I think the retros that they wear now being outfitted with black would be awesome as well. Black would be horrid, and getting rid of the circle would be worse.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I was very opposed to any modification, but have come around to a few things. A return to green would be fine, and I think the retros that they wear now being outfitted with black would be awesome as well. Black would be horrid, and getting rid of the circle would be worse.

Green accents, absolutely, a full return to the retro, no thanks.