Poll: Who do you want Shero to select #1

devlman

Who do you want Shero to select #1  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who do YOU want Shero to pick first overall:

Last thing (hopefully) I think I'm going to add:

Nico's points per game were virtually identical to that of TImo Meier in their respective draft years.  They both played for Halifax although Meier's team was a little better than Nico's at least based on record, but neither team was dominant like the Halifax team led by MacKinnon and Drouin.  Their numbers at the World Juniors in their draft year were also very close.  And since it's apparently now relevant all the sudden after the Mueller trade, both are Swiss. 

Meier seems like he could turn into a good or even very good player at some point in his career and maybe sooner rather than later, although it hasn't happened yet.  If we keep number 1 overall, and that's what it more or less turns into, it'll be a severe disappointment, and, frankly, won't really make the organization that much better.

So I am steadfastly Team Nolan.  Hopefully what you're hearing from the TSN people about Nico is a smokescreen.  We'll see.

EDIT:  I'll add that there are rumors that Vegas wants to make a trade with Philly so that they can draft Patrick.  I would not be adverse to working something out with Philly and Vegas so that the Devils end up with Nico and one of the first rounders that Vegas will likely be obtaining, although Philly would be getting a bunch more too.

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Last thing (hopefully) I think I'm going to add:

Nico's points per game were virtually identical to that of TImo Meier in their respective draft years.  They both played for Halifax although Meier's team was a little better than Nico's at least based on record, but neither team was dominant like the Halifax team led by MacKinnon and Drouin.  Their numbers at the World Juniors in their draft year were also very close.  And since it's apparently now relevant all the sudden after the Mueller trade, both are Swiss. 

Meier seems like he could turn into a good or even very good player at some point in his career and maybe sooner rather than later, although it hasn't happened yet.  If we keep number 1 overall, and that's what it more or less turns into, it'll be a severe disappointment, and, frankly, won't really make the organization that much better.

So I am steadfastly Team Nolan.  Hopefully what you're hearing from the TSN people about Nico is a smokescreen.  We'll see.

EDIT:  I'll add that there are rumors that Vegas wants to make a trade with Philly so that they can draft Patrick.  I would not be adverse to working something out with Philly and Vegas so that the Devils end up with Nico and one of the first rounders that Vegas will likely be obtaining, although Philly would be getting a bunch more too.

I will start by saying it will never happen (too many moving parts).  However, my NHL 17 GM brain was thinking that same thing today.  Philly gets 1 of the unprotected goalies they want, #6, and a pick (or 2) from Vegas for #2.  The Devils agree to select Nico at #1 and get a pick or player from the expansion list that they want from Vegas, and Vegas gets Nolan, who they really covet.  I would do that in a heartbeat, but it only works if Vegas thinks that there is a real shot we draft Nolan at #1 and can work out a deal with Philly first. 

Daniel-

Meier was 3 months older, played in the Q for 2 prior years and was steadily outpaced by Nicolaj Ehlers, who was a top ten pick in his own right. Ehlers was the guy who stirred that drink, just like Nico was on his team. Not saying Meier is a bust or anything like that but Nico is clearly a superior prospect 

• Like 1

The more I think about it I would be disappointed if we pick Nico. '' one season wonder "

And so far,  every polls tends to agree with me... And about expert analysis, I just read again the Yakupov reviews : ) 

2 hours ago, moustic said:

The more I think about it I would be disappointed if we pick Nico. '' one season wonder "

And so far,  every polls tends to agree with me... And about expert analysis, I just read again the Yakupov reviews : ) 

Yeah, no polls are split between the two at all...

31 minutes ago, Marshall said:

You gotta read the poll before knowing if it's right or not, no? 

Irrelevant! I'm that awesome that I don't need to read other people opinions to be sure I'm right. 

You should try this... It's called being French. 

• Like 5

Tough decision for sure. On one hand the safe pick is Patrick because of the depth of his pedigree but on the other hand he is the risky pick because of his injury history. The injury history does scare me. It seems Nolan has the better shot, Nico is the more explosive and dynamic skater. I am really impressed with what Nico did in his first season on a new continent and how he raised his game and played great against the best competition. Started off on team Nico and I will stick with him.

5 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Despite injuries I'm going with Nolan Patrick. Nico, while being a great stick handler and scorer, is just that. Patrick can score and he has good vision.

Nico is just what? a great scorer? Is that not a good enough thing to be for you? lol. Either way, he's also very good defensively.

• Like 1

After all the discussion, The day has arrived, we'll all know who our next Captain might be!  I just hope we draft the right guy, time will tell.  Hopefully we don't turn this board into a "I told you so"affair.  

38 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

After all the discussion, The day has arrived, we'll all know who our next Captain might be!  I just hope we draft the right guy, time will tell.  Hopefully we don't turn this board into a "I told you so"affair.  

that's what message boards are for!!!!!  don't worry Nolan will be our top line center by years end

btw the way, I TOLD YOU GUYS MERRILL WAS HISTORY AS SOON AS MUELLER CAME ON  because they can use the M, the L and the E on the jersey. 

5 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

What did he say??

Read it indirectly through someone on twitter.  Basically Shero is listening to offers to trade down from 3 to 4.  Don't know if Makar was mentioned specifically by name, but it's a pretty safe assumption that would be the point of trading down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Read it indirectly through someone on twitter.  Basically Shero is listening to offers to trade down from 3 to 4.  Don't know if Makar was mentioned specifically by name, but it's a pretty safe assumption that would be the point of trading down.

I love these "experts" saying Shero is listening to offers for the pick.  Of course he is.  That's his job.  It's not like McDavid or Matthews is at the top of the draft and there is basically nothing that could be offered to make him trade the pick.  The only GM he immediately hangs up the phone on once he realizes who is on the line is Jeff Gorton from the Rags. 

This is all fun for discussion, but I don't think there's a chance we trade this pick.  Shero has also said that they have made their decision on the pick.  It will be interesting to see if word leaks out who it is before the draft starts.

Edited by Chuck the Duck