Cory Pronman has "several NHL sources" saying Devils leaning towards Makar

Daniel

It's behind the espn paywall, but here's the quote:

The popular notion for months has been that it is Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier for this spot. But in the past few weeks, it has been indicated to me from several NHL sources that the Devils are leaning towards selecting Makar first overall. Moreover, GM Ray Shero has been following Makar around to get a closer look during the final weeks of his season. It's possible if Makar is the Devils' guy, this is a trade-down scenario for them.

This scares the crap out of me, to the point that I thought it was a joke when I saw it on Twitter.  If Shero trades down and gets an enormous haul in the process, then fine.  But anything short of that would be insane.

There have been two AJHL players drafted in the first round in the past ten years and only one of them is any good, and they were nowhere near the first pick.  You will not be seeing Makar in an NHL uniform for at least three years.  And, it's not even certain if he's that good.

As I've said before, it the Devils take Makar number 1, he better win the Hobey Baker in his freshman year at UMass and be Erik Karllsson by his second pro year.  fvcking this pick up that badly gets the entire front office and scouting staff fired.

Edited by Daniel

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

No way.

ESPN is about as connected to hockey insides as you or I.  Total bullsh!t fluff article to generate page clicks.

Pronman gets paid based on subscriptions, not hits. I'd bet he does have sources, but this just doesnt seem likely based on how Shero and Castron have consistently ONLY talked about Nico and Nolan

• Like 1

If they really want Makar, a scenario that might make sense is that Vegas trades number 6 and Methot to Dallas for number 3.  Vegas then trades number 3 and most of the first round picks they've accumulated for number 1.

Even still, number 3 seems way too high for Makar.  I almost think Harris would pull rank on Shero and veto any such trade.  It appears that Harris is very interested in drafts in general as I believe he stays at the draft table for the entire draft, although I'm not sure how unusual that is.

There is no way Shero is taking Makar at #1.  If he does, he should be fired immediately ... not because Makar is a bad player, but because he could easily trade out of that spot and accumulate assets while moving down the draft board to 3 or 4 to get him.

That said, if we pass on the opportunity to draft a 1C in either Nico or Nolan, I would be shocked.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

If they really want Makar, a scenario that might make sense is that Vegas trades number 6 and Methot to Dallas for number 3.  Vegas then trades number 3 and most of the first round picks they've accumulated for number 1.

Even still, number 3 seems way too high for Makar.  I almost think Harris would pull rank on Shero and veto any such trade.  It appears that Harris is very interested in drafts in general as I believe he stays at the draft table for the entire draft, although I'm not sure how unusual that is.

I don't think Harris is involved in the decision making or going to veto Ray on any hockey decision unless it comes to him spending money.  And this is exactly how an owner should be.   

I am open to a trade back for a massive haul and draft a D. If Vegas is desperate for a face of the franchise in Patrick then we could get a ton of assets for someone who normally wouldn't be a #1 pick. Use the mystique of #1 to our advantage. Only worry with that is GMGM has a very proven track record at drafting, so Shero would need to think he has hits on the picks coming back that GMGM doesn't see. 

Didn't Dreger just say it's Hischier on a radio show? Who should we trust more?

@RTaub_ Darren Dreger on @SiriusXMNHL says the Devils are leaning toward taking Nico Hischier with the number one pick on Friday #NJDevils

Edited by Jerzey

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't think Harris is involved in the decision making or going to veto Ray on any hockey decision unless it comes to him spending money.  And this is exactly how an owner should be.   

If you're going to do something as bold as this, you can't not tell the owner and at least get the owner's input.  And Harris is not an owner like Jim Dolan who really knows nothing about the sport or building a team or a business in general (Dolan, it appears, just likes being seen and being a playboy).  So at the very least, Harris needs a detailed explanation as to why Shero thinks something like that would be the right thing to do.  If Harris is not satisfied, he can and should veto it.

3 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

I am open to a trade back for a massive haul and draft a D. If Vegas is desperate for a face of the franchise in Patrick then we could get a ton of assets for someone who normally wouldn't be a #1 pick. Use the mystique of #1 to our advantage. Only worry with that is GMGM has a very proven track record at drafting, so Shero would need to think he has hits on the picks coming back that GMGM doesn't see. 

Actually, Shero's drafting history is a very mixed bag.  While most GMs leave the decisions to their scouts, to the extent that Shero was the deciding factor in Pittsburgh, he had some pretty bad screw-ups, one of which was supposedly overruling his scouting staff on Brandon Saad over "attitude issues."

If you're going to do something as bold as this, you can't not tell the owner and at least get the owner's input.  And Harris is not an owner like Jim Dolan who really knows nothing about the sport or building a team or a business in general (Dolan, it appears, just likes being seen and being a playboy).  So at the very least, Harris needs a detailed explanation as to why Shero thinks something like that would be the right thing to do.  If Harris is not satisfied, he can and should veto it.

Don't get me wrong, Harris would definitely be involved in the conversation.  But at the end of the day I don't think he would veto Ray on a pure hockey decision like that.  

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

Don't get me wrong, Harris would definitely be involved in the conversation.  But at the end of the day I don't think he would veto Ray on a pure hockey decision like that.  

Season ticket sales are down and most of the fanbase is already pissed off about the jersey.  Using the number 1 pick (that your PR department has been hyping for almost two months) on a guy who won't even be in your organization for one and probably at least two years is something that any owner in that situation will need to be thoroughly convinced of. 

• Like 1

Actually, Shero's drafting history is a very mixed bag.  While most GMs leave the decisions to their scouts, to the extent that Shero was the deciding factor in Pittsburgh, he had some pretty bad screw-ups, one of which was supposedly overruling his scouting staff on Brandon Saad over "attitude issues."

I was saying George McPhee has a proven track record not Shero. So I would be worried that Shero would have to be out-draft-dueling a GM who was a bit of draft guru with the Caps in my opinion. 

Yeah I think doing anything but using the first overall pick to draft would be a mistake. Just the marketability of having the 1st OA would be worth it to help generate interest what's been a pretty uninteresting tenure for Shero so far.

Edited by Jerzey

1 minute ago, Steadevils said:

I was saying George McPhee has a proven track record not Shero. So I would be worried that Shero would have to be out-draft-dueling a GM who was a bit of draft guru with the Caps in my opinion. 

oh, gotcha

Season ticket sales are down and most of the fanbase is already pissed off about the jersey.  Using the number 1 pick (that your PR department has been hyping for almost two months) on a guy who won't even be in your organization for one and probably at least two years is something that any owner in that situation will need to be thoroughly convinced of. 

This is actually a pretty decent point. It could be reasoned that Harris would see this as a major backlash if one of Nico or Nolan isn't selected. Of course, Harris is probably preoccupied with the Sixers at the moment and may be out of touch.

1 minute ago, SMantzas said:

On the other hand, Shero said earlier this week that they have their pick ready. For some reason, it doesnt jive with me that Makar would be the pick after those comments

As others have been noting, this could be leaking out there to get some teams to come forward with trade offers, if just to see whats out there.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

I can't see them using #1 overall on Makar.  I can see them trading down for him.  I'm not sure how many NHL sources Pronman has or in whose interest it would be for him to spread the notion that the Devils are considering Makar at #1.

From the Devils side- Get people to come up with better offers.

From Makar's side- none

How accurate has Pronman been in the past in his final mocks? Didnt he have Laine at #1?

11 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

From the Devils side- Get people to come up with better offers.

From Makar's side- none

How accurate has Pronman been in the past in his final mocks? Didnt he have Laine at #1?

I think he thought Laine was the better prospect, but in his mock had Matthews going #1.