GDT: 6/23 and 6/24- NHL Draft

Derlique

I will add, not picking Nolan or Nico isn't an instant disaster. It only becomes a disaster if one of them realizes his potential and becomes a top line NHLer.

We won't know the answer to whether Shero made a good pick, even if it is Nico or Nolan, for quite a while. 

25 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

June 23rd, 2017 will go down as the day that will make or break Ray Shero as the GM of the New Jersey Devils. He did what we all thought needed to happen -- he bottomed out. 3 years in a row drafting in the top-10. Now, the number one overall pick in the draft (and a plethora of picks later to make moves.) I'll pretend for the rest of this post that he isn't stupid enough to draft Makar. Maybe if we still had Lou and his 3 Stanley Cups for the franchise keeping him firmly rooted, he'd do something that risky (or stupid). Not a 3rd year GM who hasn't finished within 10 points of a playoff spot in his 3 years. 

When we go to bed tonight we will all have an entirely different outlook on this team. If Nico is the savior or if Patrick is the new face of the franchise, we will all feel something we haven't towards this team since the summer after the Cup run -- hope. Hope! Excitement. We'll have a young core of forwards; led by the only #1OA in our franchises history, a solid-looking Pavel Zacha, and a baby-faced McLeod who tore it up last year. We'll have core players, ranging from stars (Taylor Hall) to solid producers (Kyle Palmieri) to playoff heroes (Adam Henrique). We'll have an emerging and exciting cornerstone to our blueline in Severson, and we'll have one of the best goaltenders in the league. And, in one week - when franchise-player Shattenkirk officially hits the market - we'll have the most money and the biggest playing-time opportunity. 

So many of us have been sour for so long. So many of us have endured this horrible streak of losing seasons and stuck it out with no light at the end of the tunnel. We've watched Stephen Gionta and Damien Brunner get first line minutes, we've watched Tootoo damn-near finish top-5 on the team in goals, we've watched miserable and disappointing players wear our crest and we've said "in a few years, we'll finally bottom out and get some young superstars". Well, that's now. 

Yesterday, I firmly believe, was the LAST day for a long time of being "lol Devils". Yesterday we bottomed out. Today we start the future.

I'm happy to be around all of you annoying pieces of doodoo for this one. We made it. 

Let's go Devils.

Yeah, I think that brutal last quarter of 2017 was exactly what we needed...that final, true bottoming-out, where you're no longer wondering how much worse things can get...because they finally can't. 

I agree 100%, it's an exciting time because there is indeed some hope.  As far as Shero goes, he really did inherit a complete mess...no GM was going to be able to turn this around overnight, and to his credit, he didn't try to...no rotten win-now contracts, no quick fixes...he's built flexibility and a lot of it, so kudos to him for putting himself in good position to start trying to build this thing back up.  We'll likely still need some patience, but hopefully starting next season, we start to see some real progress.  I'm hoping for a playoff berth in 2018-19 (with that being the first of several playoff appearances).  If they fall short this season, but are clearly a different and noticeably improving team, I can live with not getting in one last time.    

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I will add, not picking Nolan or Nico isn't an instant disaster. It only becomes a disaster if one of them realizes his potential and becomes a top line NHLer.

We won't know the answer to whether Shero made a good pick, even if it is Nico or Nolan, for quite a while. 

I think it's an instant disaster simply based on the fact that the fan base will be in an uproar over it. I admit I don't follow the draft stuff much anymore but I still come here every day and I just heard of this guys name for the first time the other day, imagine how the casual fans will react when they are all thinking it's Nico or Nolan. 

Add that to the changed jersey situation and the fact we have missed the playoffs for 5 straight seasons and 6 of the past 7 and you have a pr sh!t storm of epic proportions. 

So I guess we can keep trade talk in here too, make it an all-encompassing draft day thread.

Per twitter we're still in the running for Galchenyuk as of this morning.  We talked about it a bunch yesterday but it'll be interesting to see what materializes.

49 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

June 23rd, 2017 will go down as the day that will make or break Ray Shero as the GM of the New Jersey Devils. He did what we all thought needed to happen -- he bottomed out. 3 years in a row drafting in the top-10. Now, the number one overall pick in the draft (and a plethora of picks later to make moves.) I'll pretend for the rest of this post that he isn't stupid enough to draft Makar. Maybe if we still had Lou and his 3 Stanley Cups for the franchise keeping him firmly rooted, he'd do something that risky (or stupid). Not a 3rd year GM who hasn't finished within 10 points of a playoff spot in his 3 years. 

When we go to bed tonight we will all have an entirely different outlook on this team. If Nico is the savior or if Patrick is the new face of the franchise, we will all feel something we haven't towards this team since the summer after the Cup run -- hope. Hope! Excitement. We'll have a young core of forwards; led by the only #1OA in our franchises history, a solid-looking Pavel Zacha, and a baby-faced McLeod who tore it up last year. We'll have core players, ranging from stars (Taylor Hall) to solid producers (Kyle Palmieri) to playoff heroes (Adam Henrique). We'll have an emerging and exciting cornerstone to our blueline in Severson, and we'll have one of the best goaltenders in the league. And, in one week - when franchise-player Shattenkirk officially hits the market - we'll have the most money and the biggest playing-time opportunity. 

So many of us have been sour for so long. So many of us have endured this horrible streak of losing seasons and stuck it out with no light at the end of the tunnel. We've watched Stephen Gionta and Damien Brunner get first line minutes, we've watched Tootoo damn-near finish top-5 on the team in goals, we've watched miserable and disappointing players wear our crest and we've said "in a few years, we'll finally bottom out and get some young superstars". Well, that's now. 

Yesterday, I firmly believe, was the LAST day for a long time of being "lol Devils". Yesterday we bottomed out. Today we start the future.

I'm happy to be around all of you annoying pieces of doodoo for this one. We made it. 

Let's go Devils.

Feel like I'm ready to march into battle after this or something.  LET'S GO DEVILS!

• Like 5

I admittedly don't know enough about these players to have a true preference.  I just hope whoever we select turns into the true No. 1 center we desperately need.

3 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Meanwhile, still hours away from the Draft, but the Devils will likely hold onto the 1st pick overall unless something materializes.

------

Breathe, everyone (for a bit at least)

Basically saying the Devils will hold onto the pick, unless they don't.  Brilliant insight from Dreger!

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I admittedly don't know enough about these players to have a true preference.  I just hope whoever we select turns into the true No. 1 center we desperately need.

Basically saying the Devils will hold onto the pick, unless they don't.  Brilliant insight from Dreger!

I haven't seen anyone go out on such a limb since the Neutrals

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

How I read this post... 

IMG_2656.JPG

Someone needs to photochop this to red and black on his face.

• Like 3