Devils select Nico Hischier #1 overall in 2017 Draft

Triumph

There's not a specific thread about this and I think there should be.  Put reactions and comments down below.  I am rather excited for this pick, but I can't really say I have a reason why I prefer him to Nolan (or everyone else).

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

They both seemed like nice kids.   It's gonna take an extra week or two to work up my hate for Nolan..........

Seems like a great pick, but time will tell.

I'm happy.

Patrick is forever going to play with an extra edge against the Devs

Edited by Jimmy Leeds
  • Like 1

In the end I'm glad it was Nico over Nolan. The injury history of Nolan would have had us holding our breath every time he got hit. Watching the side by side comparison of Nico Hischier and Pavel Datsyuk also has me super excited. Their skating and puck handling looks so similar. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

For sure it's exciting. I think he is clearly the more exciting player too. 

I was team Nolan as I just see him as a toews clone but Nico's now our guy and I'm pumped to have him aboard. 

I didn't know till it was mentioned on the TV broadcast........but Ray picked Jordan Staal and left Toews on the board......

Somehow this just feels "right", and I thought they would take Nolan.  Wish we could skip ahead to Nico's NHL debut.  Very excited to see this kid "love to hockey"...hope it goes a lot better than ''this is team",

Funny hearing both of those guys talking about putting weight on...I remember being that age and being skinny as hell (I'm 6' 1" and after a bout of mono was down to 139 lbs at one point...once I recovered I was up to 155ish, but was still very slim...the doctor actually said "Eat whatever you want, doesn't matter at this point, just eat.")  I was constantly saying to myself "Man, I wish I wasn't so friggin' skinny!".  Now I'm about 225...much of it is muscle, but not all (36" waist), and if I slack off with my weight training, diet, and aerobic exercise, I start inching towards 240 very easily...I pretty much HAVE to stick with my regimen to stay in the 220-225 range.  Kinda makes me miss the days when I dreamed of weighing 170 or so...   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

In the end I'm glad it was Nico over Nolan. The injury history of Nolan would have had us holding our breath every time he got hit. Watching the side by side comparison of Nico Hischier and Pavel Datsyuk also has me super excited. Their skating and puck handling looks so similar. 

Tell me about it.  I spent a good portion of the second half of the draft last night texting my Flyers friends asking if Patrick was on IR yet or if he had pulled a groin on the way to the stage.   

• Like 3

The draft fest last night was so hyped up with more energy than I've seen even at a game in a long while. I was so friggin' excited the second Ray said "Halifax." What an exciting night for this franchise, I already love this kid. Can't wait to see him in summer time action at the July development camp.

With the two guys being so close as far as skill and talent are concerned, Nico was the only choice. It is just not worth taking a player with such a history of injuries unless he is head and shoulders above the other guy. Nico was my choice from day one and I am more than happy with the pick. Now let's hope for a good defenseman today, Conor Timmins would be nice...  

• Like 1

I was clearly hoping for nolan, but there was something McKenzie said that stuck out to me.  He said nico plays the game at a faster pace. And that nolan would need to up his pace in the nhl.... very telling imo.  If that's true  I'm very happy this morning.  Although I still think the flyers got a super player.   This is exciting... I'm buying one of those pajama jerseys for my kid. NICO!

• Like 1