Devils select Nico Hischier #1 overall in 2017 Draft

Triumph

I'm usually hesitant to draft guys high from Q but Halifax played in a juggernaut division. Saint John and Charlottetown were two of the best in the CHL and Cape Breton and Acadie-Bathurst were at least 14 games over. 500. Nico producing like he did on a terrible team in that division is impressive as hell

On 6/24/2017 at 9:24 AM, EdgeControl said:

I was clearly hoping for Nolan, but there was something McKenzie said that stuck out to me. He said Nico plays the game at a faster pace. And that Nolan would need to up his pace in the NHL.... very telling imo. I'm buying one of those pajama jerseys for my kid. NICO!

I too wanted Patrick. At 200 pounds already, he just seemed like he had more of an NHL frame. The closer the draft got, the more Hischier closed the gap.. and you could feel it slipping away from Patrick. We'll see.. I guess only time will tell.

EDIT:  And yes.. I'll be buying a Nico Adizero aswell.

Edited by Beezer34

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Any guesses on a jersey # for Nico? Looks like he wore #13 in the Q but that's taken (still, apparently, ugh). He wore 18 in WJCs, that's probably available. 

It wouldn't surprise me that much if Cam actually offered that number to Nico if Nico wants it that badly.  At least he can't do the overplayed "birth year" thing (born in 99). 

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I saw part of it... The two stooges welcomed him 'to New York'. emoji849.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between this...

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

People are getting upset he is doing things with a New York team...as if there are other New Jersey teams he could be doing stuff with. 

And sh!t like this, the kid probably sees himself already as playing in New York. It's disgusting.  New players should be properly welcomed to New Jersey before they get this sense that this is a New York team and their fans are extended New Yorkers. Take the kid to the Shore, take him to do whatever it is  you people in North Jersey do (delis? who knows),  take him to the Pine Barrens, take him for a hike at the Delaware Water Gap, and get him pork roll. Give him a sense for our culture FIRST, then let him loose with the New York sh!t. Plenty of people would lose their mind if he was visiting the Phillies or Eagles, it's the same thing for me.

58 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Any guesses on a jersey # for Nico? Looks like he wore #13 in the Q but that's taken (still, apparently, ugh). He wore 18 in WJCs, that's probably available. 

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It wouldn't surprise me that much if Cam actually offered that number to Nico if Nico wants it that badly.  At least he can't do the overplayed "birth year" thing (born in 99). 

My thought which is just a wild guess is either Cam gives up 13 or Nico wears 17. We can finally wash out that Kovy-Ryder stuff. 

18 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Between this...

And sh!t like this, the kid probably sees himself already as playing in New York. It's disgusting.  New players should be properly welcomed to New Jersey before they get this sense that this is a New York team and their fans are extended New Yorkers. Take the kid to the Shore, take him to do whatever it is  you people in North Jersey do (delis? who knows),  take him to the Pine Barrens, take him for a hike at the Delaware Water Gap, and get him pork roll. Give him a sense for our culture FIRST, then let him loose with the New York sh!t. Plenty of people would lose their mind if he was visiting the Phillies or Eagles, it's the same thing for me.

Take him to any of those places and he is guaranteed to either be bored or want to head for the hills.  That goes double for the shore.

8 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

A. It doesn't matter either way. He's not a UFA.

B. Go to hell.

A) Then why get upset about him being shown around NYC?

B. Take him to the shore and see how well it will go over explaining to him why he will have to pay to get on the beach and why the boardwalk is filled with tacky t-shirt shops, terrible pizza stands and shady games of chance.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A) Then why get upset about him being shown around NYC?

B. Take him to the shore and see how well it will go over explaining to him why he will have to pay to get on the beach and why the boardwalk is filled with tacky t-shirt shops, terrible pizza stands and shady games of chance.

A. I agree with you on this and don't understand why anyone cares that he is touring the greater NYC area.  I like the fact that the Devils and Red Bulls are forging a relationship since they are practically neighbors and should be working together on things like this.  He clearly went to the Yankees game because it is an event and the Devils have close ties to the Yankees (the Steinbrenners used to own a part of the team and Cashman is a Devils fan).  He went on Boomer and Carton because the Devils are trying to market this kid and build exciting for the coming season by capitalizing off of having the #1 pick.  Those 2 idiots reach a large audience and (amazingly) have high listerner ratings, so they are a natural stop on the media circuit, especially since Francessa probably refused to have the kid on because he needs to talk about the Mets bullpen for 4 hours today and wouldn't know what a puck looked like if it hit him in the head. 

B. While you have to pay to get on every beach during the summer, you clearly have no idea where to go if the beach you end up at is filled with tacky t-shirt shops.  There are beaches outside of Seaside Heights, Pt. Pleasant, and Wildwood.  LBI would we a great place to start.

5 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

A. I agree with you on this and don't understand why anyone cares that he is touring the greater NYC area.  I like the fact that the Devils and Red Bulls are forging a relationship since they are practically neighbors and should be working together on things like this.  He clearly went to the Yankees game because it is an event and the Devils have close ties to the Yankees (the Steinbrenners used to own a part of the team and Cashman is a Devils fan).  He went on Boomer and Carton because the Devils are trying to market this kid and build exciting for the coming season by capitalizing off of having the #1 pick.  Those 2 idiots reach a large audience and (amazingly) have high listerner ratings, so they are a natural stop on the media circuit, especially since Francessa probably refused to have the kid on because he needs to talk about the Mets bullpen for 4 hours today and wouldn't know what a puck looked like if it hit him in the head. 

B. While you have to pay to get on every beach during the summer, you clearly have no idea where to go if the beach you end up at is filled with tacky t-shirt shops.  There are beaches outside of Seaside Heights, Pt. Pleasant, and Wildwood.  LBI would we a great place to start.

I know, I was just covering my bases.  You either get hit with beach fees or trashy boardwalk or in some cases both.  I actually prefer places like Ocean Grove, LBI, Sandy Hook, etc (still gotta pay though).

This ignore New York thing is ridiculous...     the lure for playing for NJ is you escape the media pressure but get all the benefits of living near NYC.  

If the Devils were located further south, I get it.    But when there is a path train connecting you to NYC...  guess what.    You're a feeder for NYC.

But showing an 18yo kid the Gap, or driving hours south to LBI...  or hiding out in the pines?    What on earth are you talking about.

Taking him to Philly is completely different.   It doesn't make sense beinh situated in NJ.     But if they played in Cherry Hill...  of course it makes sense.