2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So it's almost August, and we haven't made anymore moves on defense.  I think most people assumed there was another trade or signing coming, possibly involving Henrique, since, and I can't believe I'm gonna say this, it seems like we have an influx of forwards at the moment, but I'm not so sure that's gonna happen now. There's still time, but something tells me we're going to roll into training camp and pre-season with our D corp as-is.  I think with no buyers for Lovejoy, and the addition of Mueller, and the assumption that Schneider will play better this year, that Shero is banking on the chances that our perceived-improved forwards will be able to put up more goals this year than we let in.  

What's everyone else think?  Something else still to come?

I actually agree with you. ;)

It's feeling that way, if we were going to make any kind of big move on D, I feel like it would have been made already. But maybe not, training camp is coming. Maybe some young guns (on other teams) impress and said teams will decide they need to make a place for them, making some higher paid but otherwise good quality guys expendable. We can hope, anyway.

I'd feel much better with one really solid "semi-veteran" (re: not too old, sorry Andy) on the blue line. 

If you want tea leaves to read on Henrique, he does appear to have been more active on social media lately and specifically in his capacity as a member of the Devils.  So maybe whatever trade talk there might have been had died down, especially when you consider that Anaheim seems to have gotten what it wanted out of expansion, i.e. not losing Vatanen. 

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So it's almost August, and we haven't made anymore moves on defense.  I think most people assumed there was another trade or signing coming, possibly involving Henrique, since, and I can't believe I'm gonna say this, it seems like we have an influx of forwards at the moment, but I'm not so sure that's gonna happen now. There's still time, but something tells me we're going to roll into training camp and pre-season with our D corp as-is.  I think with no buyers for Lovejoy, and the addition of Mueller, and the assumption that Schneider will play better this year, that Shero is banking on the chances that our perceived-improved forwards will be able to put up more goals this year than we let in.  

What's everyone else think?  Something else still to come?

I say no...not right now.  I think the Devils go into the regular season with Greene, Severson, Santini, Moore, Killjoy, Prout, and Mueller.  The hope will be that Severson and Santini improve and mature, Killjoy bounces back, Greene isn't in decline, and that Mueller turns out to be a nice find.  I think Prout and Moore are what they are...and obviously there's going to be healthy scratches and injuries and guys who will get more playing time.  Three of these players are babies in "D-years":  Mueller and Santini are entering their age 22 seasons, and Severson will be 23 on Opening Day.  Moore is 26 (will be 27 in November), Prout is 27.  It's far from a "sure thing" group, no question, but there is youth here...overall, it's not a bunch of declining 30-somethings. 

Does this scare me?  Yeah, a bit.  Even though five of these guys are well under 30, this is not a group that excites.  None of them are a guarantee to be any better than they are right now.   

If this group is really looking bad 25-30 games into the season, I do think Shero will try to do something...not something huge, but I think he'll bring another body in. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I'd feel much better with one really solid "semi-veteran" (re: not too old, sorry Andy) on the blue line. 

Killjoy is that guy, technically (33 years old, just over 5 seasons' worth of reg season games under his belt).  No, doesn't thrill me either, but he's still under contract for two more seasons, so the Devils are going to treat last season as one bad year, and give him a legit shot to put 2016-17 behind him. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Killjoy is that guy, technically (33 years old, just over 5 seasons' worth of reg season games under his belt).  No, doesn't thrill me either, but he's still under contract for two more seasons, so the Devils are going to treat last season as one bad year, and give him a legit shot to put 2016-17 behind him. 

I don't consider him "solid". He plays defense more like a liquid or gas. :)

But yes, if he bounces back, he could be that guy. 

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If you want tea leaves to read on Henrique, he does appear to have been more active on social media lately and specifically in his capacity as a member of the Devils.  So maybe whatever trade talk there might have been had died down, especially when you consider that Anaheim seems to have gotten what it wanted out of expansion, i.e. not losing Vatanen. 

Was there ever any "real" talk about Henrique being moved? I don't follow most media, but most of the times it was mentioned in this forum it wasn't really attributed to any source. More just talking out of our asses. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Was there ever any "real" talk about Henrique being moved? I don't follow most media, but most of the times it was mentioned in this forum it wasn't really attributed to any source. More just talking out of our asses. 

Nothing from definitive from any of the brand name people.  It was based more on comments at the end of the season from Shero that can be reasonably interpreted to have been been aimed at Henrique and that from the end of the season through a few weeks ago he was pretty quiet on social media, especially as it relates to the Devils, since he's generally fairly active in that regard.  So it's speculation but not totally baseless speculation. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't consider him "solid". He plays defense more like a liquid or gas. :)

But yes, if he bounces back, he could be that guy. 

States of matter, nice!

Oh I agree completely, he scares the hell out of me...but when healthy, he was pretty solid in the past.  But he was a such a tough watch last year...I could see us all calling for his head less than 10 games into the season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

States of matter, nice!

Oh I agree completely, he scares the hell out of me...but when healthy, he was pretty solid in the past.  But he was a such a touch watch last year...I could see us all calling for his head less than 10 games into the season.

I was not upset when they got him, he wasn't a bad player in Pittsburgh. But last year he sh!t the bed. Here's hoping he can be better this year, I'd love to see it. 

I was not upset when they got him, he wasn't a bad player in Pittsburgh. But last year he sh!t the bed. Here's hoping he can be better this year, I'd love to see it. 

He wasn't a bad player in Pittsburgh because he was on the third pair- Lovejoy is fine in that role. It's when you rely on him to play top 4 minutes against better opposition where you run into problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I actually agree with you. ;)

It's feeling that way, if we were going to make any kind of big move on D, I feel like it would have been made already. But maybe not, training camp is coming. Maybe some young guns (on other teams) impress and said teams will decide they need to make a place for them, making some higher paid but otherwise good quality guys expendable. We can hope, anyway.

Haha, you mother f*cker. Just had the same reply, wink face and all, in the other thread lol.

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I say no...not right now.  I think the Devils go into the regular season with Greene, Severson, Santini, Moore, Killjoy, Prout, and Mueller.  The hope will be that Severson and Santini improve and mature, Killjoy bounces back, Greene isn't in decline, and that Mueller turns out to be a nice find.  I think Prout and Moore are what they are...and obviously there's going to be healthy scratches and injuries and guys who will get more playing time.  Three of these players are babies in "D-years":  Mueller and Santini are entering their age 22 seasons, and Severson will be 23 on Opening Day.  Moore is 26 (will be 27 in November), Prout is 27.  It's far from a "sure thing" group, no question, but there is youth here...overall, it's not a bunch of declining 30-somethings. 

Does this scare me?  Yeah, a bit.  Even though five of these guys are well under 30, this is not a group that excites.  None of them are a guarantee to be any better than they are right now.   

If this group is really looking bad 25-30 games into the season, I do think Shero will try to do something...not something huge, but I think he'll bring another body in. 

I'm not terribly scared by this group either, I think I just feel the same way as fitz -- would be more comfortable if we had another good veteran back there.  And no, I don't think Killjoy is that guy.  He's a veteran, but not a good one lol.  I'd even take a slow but still reliable stay at home d-man over Lovejoy.  Someone like a Markov type.  He's still available, I'd rather sign him and just let Lovejoy walk.  We have the money.

16 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Hell no, Markov is falling apart, I've been down on the guy for years, don't want him at this age for two years

How many of the current Devils D are better than Markov in your opinion? 

There's absolutely a place for him on that roster. I don't care if he's not in his prime, he's still a solid puck moving defenseman. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

How many of the current Devils D are better than Markov in your opinion? 

There's absolutely a place for him on that roster. I don't care if he's not in his prime, he's still a solid puck moving defenseman. 

Is better than some of our defenseman? Absolutely, but he's not a better all around defenseman than Andy Greene or Damon Severson, he wouldn't be the head and shoulders best defenseman on our team, I'd much rather give Top 4 ice to Santini and Mueller and let them develop themselves than bring in a 38 year old log jammer. Markov is already a below average skater and a lazy competitor to my eye, that's not going to get better with age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Hell no, Markov is falling apart, I've been down on the guy for years, don't want him at this age for two years

I agree it should be one year.

Man, we've gotten picky when we don't even want to offer a guy a two year deal!!

On July 28, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

So, anyone have interest in any of the following?

1. Jagr (age 45)
  2. Vanek, (age 33, 48 pts last season)
  3. Franson (age 29)
  4. Jokipakka (age 25)

Those seem like the remaining slim pickins of note.  Personally, I'd take any of them on a 1-year deal.  If they work out, flip 'em.  

Franson=yes!  Jagr maybe, Vanek-no  Don't know the other guy

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Jagr yes, Franson yes, Vanek no, Jokipakka just because his name is awesome. 

Jokipakka does have an awesome name, but the guy also happens to be a D, is 25 only, and as a UFA, might be worth a gamble since our D is in severe need of an injection of talent.  6'3, 215lbs... could be a serviceable 5-6-7.  Supposedly is mobile, but has never put up points as far as I can tell.  Granted, we need more of a top 4 D for this coming season, so maybe it's not a match.

It's surprising Franson is still out there... if I'm NJ, I'm offering him a 1 year deal.  Make it more lucrative than others can due to our cap space, and deal him at the deadline for a pick.  Not sure what the harm is unless NJ really believes its young guys will steal the show somehow.  At this point in the summer, players are signing for bargains.  Or, if he truly works out and looks good out there, can sign him mid-season to a short 2-3 year extension.  

Jagr I feel there is less room for since he loves signing on offense-thin clubs where he can slot into the 1st line.  I don't see the room being there this year on NJ.  He certainly would have a place in the top 9, but I'd caution against playing him top 3 or even top 6 on a consistent basis. 

Vanek had 48 pts last year which is pretty decent, so, also surprised he is out there.  I think NJ is more content with its forwards and not sure they want to chew time away from Hall, Zacha, etc.  Will be interesting to see how they break up the lines as Mojo will probably be tried as a RW.  I think they have enough good players in the top 9 where they don't need to add a UFA forward who definitely won't put up as many points here.