2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

On 7/28/2017 at 1:43 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

So, anyone have interest in any of the following?

1. Jagr (age 45)
  2. Vanek, (age 33, 48 pts last season)
  3. Franson (age 29)
  4. Jokipakka (age 25)

Those seem like the remaining slim pickins of note.  Personally, I'd take any of them on a 1-year deal.  If they work out, flip 'em.  

Jagr - no

Vanek - maybe

Franson - yes

Jokipakka - who?

Jokipakka is a defensive defenseman who is OK-ish on defense but completely neuters your offense. He'd be another third pairing guy. Pass. 

I would've signed Franson the minute Shattenkirk signed with NYR. Can't see it happening though - I think they're perfectly fine with running Severson-Lovejoy-Santini on the right side. 

On 7/24/2017 at 3:53 PM, Nicomo said:

How many of the current Devils D are better than Markov in your opinion? 

There's absolutely a place for him on that roster. I don't care if he's not in his prime, he's still a solid puck moving defenseman. 

Agreed.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:56 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Markov is an immediate and instant upgrade. Who cares if we give him 2 years? If he regresses so badly that he doesn't crack the top-6 in his second year, scratch him. We're not a cap team. There's no reason not to take small risks like this.

And agreed.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:57 PM, CommonDreads said:

Is better than some of our defenseman? Absolutely, but he's not a better all around defenseman than Andy Greene or Damon Severson, he wouldn't be the head and shoulders best defenseman on our team, I'd much rather give Top 4 ice to Santini and Mueller and let them develop themselves than bring in a 38 year old log jammer. Markov is already a below average skater and a lazy competitor to my eye, that's not going to get better with age.

I partially agree with this, in that I'd also rather give top 4 minutes to Mueller and Santini, but there's no reason not to keep Markov, a slower guy now in his older age, on your 3rd pairing, and also give him minutes as the QB on the blue line during Powerplays.  

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a good fit.

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed.

And agreed.

I partially agree with this, in that I'd also rather give top 4 minutes to Mueller and Santini, but there's no reason not to keep Markov, a slower guy now in his older age, on your 3rd pairing, and also give him minutes as the QB on the blue line during Powerplays.  

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a good fit.

He signed in the KHL.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:43 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

So, anyone have interest in any of the following?

1. Jagr (age 45)
  2. Vanek, (age 33, 48 pts last season)
  3. Franson (age 29)
  4. Jokipakka (age 25)

5. Iginla (age 40)

I feel like we need to stick with the youth movement and try for a fast pace up front so I wouldn't pursue Jag or Vanek. 

Franson would be a decent get, particularly to pay on a one year deal that we likely could trade for a pick at the deadline as somebody mentioned. Jokipakka is roster filler. 

Why is Franson still out there - that's the intriguing part.  Even if his name is mud on an annual or bi-annual basis, he has the cache of being a right-shooting D-man who is capable of putting up between 20 and 30 points and not being awful in advanced stats.  I saw there was an article he might take a PTO with Detroit, but why?  No team is willing to give this guy a 1 year deal?  If he's considering a PTO, he can't be holding out for a multi-year deal.  Do not understand this or why, specifically, the Devils have not signed him.  He is an absolute upgrade to the blueline.  While I never thought I'd be making that argument (not a historic fan of this player), it's the truth of the situation.  Sign him, roll back Greene's minutes, and call it a day.  So what if Moore or Lovejoy or Santini get scratched or take on a 7th role... competition is good.  Granted, I want to see Severson, Mueller, and Santini as much as possible, but I'd lose no sleep if the other guys become expendable, tradeable, or demotable.  I truly hope this organizations allegiance to Lovejoy is not the determining factor in our inaction here...

Severson-Franson

Greene-Santini

Mueller-Moore-Lovejoy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I can't believe Jagr doesn't have a contract yet. He played EVERY game last season and scored almost 50pts. Wtf?

I know, it's pretty shocking to me too.  You'd have to figure someone has room for a veteran presence.  I mean, it's not like his skills have even really diminished that much.  Like you said, 50+ points, and as consistent as possible in terms of health and reliability, having not missed a single game.  I hope someone gives him a shot, he deserves it.  

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Why is Franson still out there - that's the intriguing part.  Even if his name is mud on an annual or bi-annual basis, he has the cache of being a right-shooting D-man who is capable of putting up between 20 and 30 points and not being awful in advanced stats.  I saw there was an article he might take a PTO with Detroit, but why?  No team is willing to give this guy a 1 year deal?  If he's considering a PTO, he can't be holding out for a multi-year deal.  Do not understand this or why, specifically, the Devils have not signed him.  He is an absolute upgrade to the blueline.  While I never thought I'd be making that argument (not a historic fan of this player), it's the truth of the situation.  Sign him, roll back Greene's minutes, and call it a day.  So what if Moore or Lovejoy or Santini get scratched or take on a 7th role... competition is good.  Granted, I want to see Severson, Mueller, and Santini as much as possible, but I'd lose no sleep if the other guys become expendable, tradeable, or demotable.  I truly hope this organizations allegiance to Lovejoy is not the determining factor in our inaction here...

Severson-Franson

Greene-Santini

Mueller-Moore-Lovejoy

Prout is in the mix too.

The guys currently on the roster are going to get a nice long look before anything else is done.  Shero added a young body to the mix in Mueller.  Prout played in only 14 games with the Devils, so Shero probably has him graded as an incomplete.  The kids (Severson and Santini) get another year. 

I think it's definitely an iffy group overall, and I do think once Shero reaches the same conclusion, we'll see him go out and get someone. 

Hard to understand Franson hasn't been signed by any club. Couldn't agree more w/ Shariff. Also, don't understand why Drew Stafford isn't either? I know 8 goals/13 assists isn't all that good but was very good with B's. Only 31 yrs old !. I can understand the older guys a lil.

Take a flyer on Chiasson as well?  We could always use help on rt side. I think Devils are hoping Lappin will step up and take 3rd line minutes.

I think Ray picked Simon Despres at 30 in '09 (cup winning year). Wonder if he gives him a PTO?

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

There must be some undisclosed baggage with Franson.  I can't imagine why he's still on the market.

I really believe a lot of these types of situations come back to the sex appeal of the player.  Some guys' names get lifted to the heavens and they sign mega contracts that are bad from day 1, and other guys produce consistently well over a career and can never land a big time deal.  Why this happens, I dunno.  Could be any number of factors, from a guy's body type, to some long-standing (and possibly not valid) reputation, to illogical GM groupthink.  You see players every year that sign bargain bin deals and are hanging around in late August/early September.  But who knows.  It might also be agent advice.  Maybe agents are telling these guys "if you don't get a deal in the first week of UFA, your best bet is to wait it out and let a small bidding war form in late August."  Who knows.  Maybe Franson wants a 3 year deal and teams are offering 1, and he's holding out to get a 2-year.  Could be anything.  All I know is that NJ would arguably be a stronger team with him in the fold, given that he is objectively better than Lovejoy and Moore.  If he's an upgrade over Santini or Greene, you can debate that, but he's clearly an NHL level defenseman with a marketable right-hand shot.  He ain't my favorite player by a longshot.  I never thought that much of Franson.  But he'd be an improvement in the current talent pool, and I reckon he won't be available forever.  Doesn't cost a draft pick, a prospect, etc.  I agree with the posters who think Shero will make a move if and when he is ready, but a trade will cost us something, where a signing costs us nothing.

Franson has moved around a bit last few years. I'm sure he's holding out for term, not $$ as much. I'll bet he's seriously considering Europe as well. I can totally understand.