2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

The start of legal tampering seems like as good a time as any to start a thread devoted to UFAs.  Good place to discuss potential UFA signings and, come July 1, UFAs that sign with other teams.

I will start off with my opinion that I'd like the Devils to pull out all the stops to sign Shattenkirk.  It might get ugly towards the end, but he brings a skill set we need, and we could use the excitement.

While we're at it, I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of Joe Thornton.  Reportedly he's seeking a three year deal, which isn't a killer for a team with cap space.  I think he could also be a real mentor to Nico in the sense that Jumbo Joe's career got off to a bit of a slow start after being a number 1 pick, which could be helpful to Nico if he doesn't set the world on fire immediately.  I guess he doesn't fit the fast attacking whatever style, but not everyone on your team needs to be a burner.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Hoping we sign Bennett, who's apparently now a UFA. As far as other UFA's go, I really don't see the need for any more offensive players; there aren't any free agents I'd want playing over Zacha/Nico/McLeod. I hear people mentioning Joe Thornton but I have no idea where he fits into the offense that's decently enough filled:

Hall, Henrique, Nico, Zacha, Palmieri, McLeod, Bennett, Quenneville, DSP, Wood, Cammalleri (ugh) and Noesen all have great chances of being on the team next year. That's already 12 forwards... plus guys like Josefson and Blandisi. I'm not sure an old and slow Thornton makes a whole lot of sense for a team trying to get younger and faster, even if he would help mentor Nico. 

I'm kind of going on the assumption that Henrique is getting traded.   Things really look that way.  

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I would be very disappointed and very confused. He's on a relatively friendly contract, he's on the good side of 30 and he's literally the only forward worth a damn with playoff experience. I guess you can count Kyle Palmieri's 1 (or 2?) first round losses with the ducks, but aside from that it would be nice to have someone here who's done it at the biggest stage.

Depends on the return.  I don't see his playoff experience as indispensable.  

27 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I guess I just don't see it. He's one of the few forwards that is a total fan favorite. He's by far the best selling jersey, save maybe Schneider. With a team already struggling to fill seats, I can't see how that would end well. Ostensibly you'd be trading forward who's beloved for a solid defenseman - a move that makes a ton of sense to fans on NJDevs but definitely isn't the most exciting player the masses are ever going to see. I remember that Paul Martin was getting boo'ed off the ice frequently before he signed that big contract with Pittsburgh. 

I understand what you are saying but we are still a draft or two away from having a lot of movable assets (thanks Lou).   The team needs to be thinking long term but they also can't possibly go into next year without at least finding 1 more D man that can make an outlet pass.   With that in mind, which of our limited assets with any type of trade value are you more willing to part with than Henrique to address said defensive issue?     

Edited by Lateralous

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of Joe Thornton. Reportedly he's seeking a three year deal, which isn't a killer for a team with cap space. I think he could also be a real mentor to Nico in the sense that Jumbo Joe's career got off to a bit of a slow start after being a number 1 pick, which could be helpful to Nico if he doesn't set the world on fire immediately.

Sign me up too. Then trade Kovy and a conditional 3rd to the Habs for Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk, Henrique, Nico, Hall, Palmieri, Thornton.. your Top 6. #LetsGo

• Like 1

I guess I just don't see it. He's one of the few forwards that is a total fan favorite. He's by far the best selling jersey, save maybe Schneider. With a team already struggling to fill seats, I can't see how that would end well. Ostensibly you'd be trading forward who's beloved for a solid defenseman - a move that makes a ton of sense to fans on NJDevs but definitely isn't the most exciting player the masses are ever going to see. I remember that Paul Martin was getting boo'ed off the ice frequently before he signed that big contract with Pittsburgh. 

If you make decisions to appease the fans, you'll be sitting with them. Shero isn't gonna decide to trade or not trade Henrique because he sells jerseys and the idiots on Facebook and Twitter like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I see FAR more Henrique's than Schneiders...especially on the ladies, cause they think he's a handsome bastard. 

Well that's clearly an oversimplification of my point. I like him, and I have neither Facebook nor twitter. I don't see the value in trading a home-grown fan favorite forward on a good contract. 

Oh I like him too, he's an all-timer in Devils history for 2012 alone. I bought a Henrique jersey myself last year. I'm just saying that if Shero gets offered a deal that makes sense and improves the team, he can't really worry about the PR backlash of trading a fan favorite, that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree with what's been said. Would be a shame to see Henrique get moved when he is one of the few guys that seems like he really wants to be here and appreciates his role though. NJ isn't a huge hockey market and doesn't have the all star talent that used to make other players interested in coming here anymore. 

Have to get Shattenkirk.  I think Shero simply cannot be outbid for him at this point.

If he wants to play at THA GAHDEN under DA BRIGHT LIGHTS then there's nothing we can do about it (except throw more money his way) but cash and term shouldn't be of concern imo.  We won't be cap-crunched for a good while yet.

Edited by Devilsfan118

48 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Have to get Shattenkirk.  I think Shero simply cannot be outbid for him at this point.

If he wants to play at THA GAHDEN under DA BRIGHT LIGHTS then there's nothing we can do about it (except throw more money his way) but cash and term shouldn't be of concern imo.  We won't be cap-crunched for a good while yet.

Isn't that a Boston accent?

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, should be DA GAWDEN, if anything.  As in "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..."

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, should be DA GAWDEN, if anything.  As in "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..."

Hah, fair enough - I gave it my best shot

I dont want to see Henrique moved. He's good for 20+ goals a season on a team that can't score on a regular basis.. if we move him for a D piece were digging a deeper hole up front to try to fill in a hole in the back. this team needs to find a way to land shatty and radulov. Both will greatly improve this team in two areas of biggest need, a puck moving defensemen who knows how to score and a talented RW. Get it done ray!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I will donate $5 to the website if you change your avatar. 

*shutters*

While I'd love to help the site.. I've gotta stick with Cangi for a little while :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I'll pay $10 if someone can Photoshop his mouth from where it is down to his forehead.

Uh.. I could get behind this

30 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

UFAs I would target:

• Kevin Shattenkirk
  • Beau Bennett
  • Jagr (lol, he can teach Nico how to train, 1 year deal)
  • MDZ (this kid can play, IMO, only 26, we need a D upgrade if we can't get Shattenkirk)
  • Brendan Smith (another younger D who can play)
  • Yakupov (worth a flier perhaps)

No to MDZ.  We have his equivalent in Jon Moore.

• Like 1