2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No to MDZ.  We have his equivalent in Jon Moore.

John Moore has thrown a hit in his entire career??  MDZ I would say is quite different.  Maybe they're both guys who will toss up about 20-25 points, but MDZ is an interesting defender in that he's mobile but can also throw lots of bodychecks.  MDZ also had 32 pts in 64 games in 14/15.  Moore has never averaged 0.5 PPG.  I'd take him over J-Mo in a heartbeat as an experiment.  But, luckily, that's not necessary, as Moore is already a Devil, and MDZ could be quite servicable.  His real knock is his health as he can't seem to play a full season.  Seems to me that MDZ has been misused across various teams and just when he starts to get comfortable, he gets traded or goes unsigned.  I'm not advocating NJ throws the bank at him.  But if they can't sign Shat, I'd offer MDZ a 2 or 3 year deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

John Moore has thrown a hit in his entire career??  MDZ I would say is quite different.  Maybe they're both guys who will toss up about 20-25 points, but MDZ is an interesting defender in that he's mobile but can also throw lots of bodychecks.  MDZ also had 32 pts in 64 games in 14/15.  Moore has never averaged 0.5 PPG.  I'd take him over J-Mo in a heartbeat as an experiment.  But, luckily, that's not necessary, as Moore is already a Devil, and MDZ could be quite servicable.  His real knock is his health as he can't seem to play a full season.  Seems to me that MDZ has been misused across various teams and just when he starts to get comfortable, he gets traded or goes unsigned.  I'm not advocating NJ throws the bank at him.  But if they can't sign Shat, I'd offer MDZ a 2 or 3 year deal.

This was a while ago, but MDZ must have had one on one private tutoring from Scott Stevens to improve his hitting and defensive play, but these plays were just awful by him.  Given that the Flyers weren't that great and have no use for him leads me to believe he hasn't gotten much better.

I can't imagine any scenario in which Jumbo plays on the Devils. Doesn't fit in with what Ray's trying to do. Plus he's in high demand so he has his choice of where to go. Cup contender, play with a buddy or back to SJ.

Saw a spreadsheet of estimated costs to sign free agents. His estimated cost to sign is about $5 million, no thanks. Besides I saw the pic of him naked with Burns & I can't unsee... :blink:

• Like 2

This is from Friedman, FWIW: 

He’s staying low profile — and there is serious doubt he actually wants to leave San Jose — but there is a list of teams who want to peer inside Joe Thornton’s head. At the draft, there was a lot of talk it would take a three-year deal to lure him. Potential suitors include Columbus, Los Angeles, Montreal and the Rangers. I could see Toronto having interest, but I’m not certain. There was a time Detroit appealed to him, but it doesn’t seem right now for either side. It looks like San Jose is closing in on extensions for Martin Jones and Marc-Edouard Vlasic (both can be announced on Saturday), so we’re all waiting to see what is left for Thornton and/or Patrick Marleau. I’m really fascinated by the Blue Jackets, who are going all-in over the next two years and will try something big. Toronto is quieter about its intentions, but don’t forget that Mike Babcock has plenty of Team Canada history with both Marleau and Thornton.

Do not be surprised, either, if Thornton brings up the possibility of Switzerland. His wife’s from there and he’s said he will play in that country before his career is over.

Another bullet point: 

On the blue line: the Rangers and Brendan Smith appear headed towards a deal. I never really sensed Calgary and Michael Stone were that close, so he’s likely headed to the market. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in Trevor Daley. 

27 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Too bad about Brendan Smith.  He's the D I wanted Ray to target if we don't land Shattenkirk. 

I can see the Ras going after Jumbo Joe.  They have a glaring need at C and are a win now team with the Queen still between the pipes. 

That just sounds dirty. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

Depends on the return.  I don't see his playoff experience as indispensable.  

I think it'll be enough for Galchenyuk. Rico is a good center, Galchenyuk is not. I don't want henrique going anywhere

Re:  Henrique...he is what he is...a pretty average player on a decent contract, who's been in the unfortunate position (along with others on the Devils) of being asked to do more than he really can.  He's had some nice moments obviously (2012 series winner against the Rangers, 30 goals two seasons ago), but he's definitely not an untouchable to me...if you can move him for an asset that makes more sense for the team, do it. 

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

MDZ blows.  No thank you.

He couldn't even stay in the lineup with the flyers he was so dreadful.  Hopefully the odds of Shero even looking in his direction is 0.0

I'm sure he's a better DJ than a NHL hockey player, maybe he can be brought in to run the pre/post and in between periods music selection.

One of many:

http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2017/01/24/philadelphia-flyers-must-end-michael-del-zotto-experiment/

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

Seems like a lot of biased hatred of MDZ for no reason, if you ask me, or simply because he was a Rag once.  Video clips of him from 5 years ago when he was 21... let's look up Larsson turnovers while we're at it, or Shea Weber from the playoffs before he was traded for Subban (where he was legit terrible for long stretches).  Every D in the league has atrocious mind farts at times.  MDZ is no Larsson or Weber.  But he can put up points if given the chance, can hit, can skate, etc.  I'm not an advanced stats bible quoter, but I've never heard of him as being a terrible possession player.  I don't really understand the MDZ vitriol but it's all good.  We can all have our opinion.  We'll see what Shero does on July 1 to address the D.  But if Brendan Smith is re-upping in NY, and presumably I'd call us a long shot to land Shattenkirk, MDZ is a lot better option than people like Roman Polak or another miscellaneous pylon.  It's all about contract-to actual value ratio.  Offering a guy like MDZ 5 mill a year is bad value.  Definitely don't do it.  But if he's fallen from grace or out of the top 6 in Phili, offering him a million per for 2 years would be excellent value.  Most players in the NHL can add something to a team of priced correctly.  

7 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

UFAs I would target:

• Kevin Shattenkirk
  • Beau Bennett
  • Jagr (lol, he can teach Nico how to train, 1 year deal)
  • MDZ (this kid can play, IMO, only 26, we need a D upgrade if we can't get Shattenkirk)
  • Brendan Smith (another younger D who can play)
  • Yakupov (worth a flier perhaps)

No thanks on Yakupov. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Seems like a lot of biased hatred of MDZ for no reason, if you ask me, or simply because he was a Rag once.  Video clips of him from 5 years ago when he was 21... let's look up Larsson turnovers while we're at it, or Shea Weber from the playoffs before he was traded for Subban (where he was legit terrible for long stretches).  Every D in the league has atrocious mind farts at times.  MDZ is no Larsson or Weber.  But he can put up points if given the chance, can hit, can skate, etc.  I'm not an advanced stats bible quoter, but I've never heard of him as being a terrible possession player.  I don't really understand the MDZ vitriol but it's all good.  We can all have our opinion.  We'll see what Shero does on July 1 to address the D.  But if Brendan Smith is re-upping in NY, and presumably I'd call us a long shot to land Shattenkirk, MDZ is a lot better option than people like Roman Polak or another miscellaneous pylon.  It's all about contract-to actual value ratio.  Offering a guy like MDZ 5 mill a year is bad value.  Definitely don't do it.  But if he's fallen from grace or out of the top 6 in Phili, offering him a million per for 2 years would be excellent value.  Most players in the NHL can add something to a team of priced correctly.  

There are a lot of reasons to not want MDZ on your team.  One of them is that he's been tossed away by two teams already.  Very rarely that kind of player turns into Anton Stralman, but most of the time they're just the usual first round bust.  

It wouldn't matter if you want to give him a one year league minimum deal, if he manages to get something better than a PTO.  

Barrinf something no one else sees, he just stinks.

On 06/26/2017 at 10:04 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I have the same hunch. I don't think Henrique is here come October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't make sense to move Rico. A homegrown player that's a part of the leadership core is worth a little more to us than his objective market value. It's not worth moving him if you're only getting an asset or assets of equivalent  market value, because that player or players dont have the added value of being a fan favorite, wearing a letter, being homegrown, owning one of the biggest single goals in franchise history. You move a Devil lifer for some second pairing dman who could walk at the first given opportunity? Besides, you create another hole by moving him. That's fine in a Larsson-Hall situation when you're getting a superstar in return for creating that hole. You're not getting Ristolainen for him.

I think the Devils need to be overpaid to move him, just as I thought with Larsson.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

It doesn't make sense to move Rico. A homegrown player that's a part of the leadership core is worth a little more to us than his objective market value. It's not worth moving him if you're only getting an asset or assets of equivalent  market value, because that player or players dont have the added value of being a fan favorite, wearing a letter, being homegrown, owning one of the biggest single goals in franchise history. You move a Devil lifer for some second pairing dman who could walk at the first given opportunity? Besides, you create another hole by moving him. That's fine in a Larsson-Hall situation when you're getting a superstar in return for creating that hole. You're not getting Ristolainen for him.

I think the Devils need to be overpaid to move him, just as I thought with Larsson.

I am on board with this opinion. From the outside looking in, he does seem to be great in the locker room and he is more than just that 1 big goal. He has enough GWG's, including ones in the largest games/playoffs, throughout his hockey career that it does not seem statistically ignorant to say he is someone you want on the ice in those situations. Also, he kills penalties and can score 20+ goals a year. He is one of 3 players on the roster that you can say will score 20 goals next year barring injury. If you aren't getting back someone who can score reliably score 20 + goals a year what is the point? I really don't want to see the Devils in the bottom 5 of GF again. 

You're essentially preaching to the choir, I'm not saying we SHOULD trade Henrique- if you asked me a year ago about Larsson, I wouldn't have said we should trade him either. But if the right deal comes along- you do what you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Let's stop making Henrique to be more than he is.  I couldn't care less about him being a homegrown Devil lifer...so far Josefson's a homegrown Devil lifer too...doesn't mean anything.  So he wears a letter...Arnott once wore a letter and even scored a Cup-clinching goal to boot...I don't think wearing a letter or being here for a while makes one seemingly indispensable by default...I think Palmieri is a lot more important to the Devils going forward than Henrique, as far as a leadership guy who also contributes on the scoresheet goes.  Sure, Henrique enjoys some popularity, but again, he's a mostly average NHLer who, outside of one (flukey) 30 goal season and that crazy series-clinching goal against the Rangers, simply isn't that big of a deal.  I'm not saying to move him for the sake of moving him, but I don't think the Devils should necessarily be looking to be blown out of the water either...if a deal comes along that looks fair and will help, I'm making it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

UFAs I would target:

• Kevin Shattenkirk
  • Beau Bennett
  • Jagr (lol, he can teach Nico how to train, 1 year deal)
  • MDZ (this kid can play, IMO, only 26, we need a D upgrade if we can't get Shattenkirk)
  • Brendan Smith (another younger D who can play)
  • Yakupov (worth a flier perhaps)

Speaking of Jagr, when does this guy slow down?  if he keeps going like he is he is going to start making Gordie Howe's career seem like a flash in the pan.  Not to mention he will have played for every team in the NHL!

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Let's stop making Henrique to be more than he is.  I couldn't care less about him being a homegrown Devil lifer...so far Josefson's a homegrown Devil lifer too...doesn't mean anything.  So he wears a letter...Arnott once wore a letter and even scored a Cup-clinching goal to boot...I don't think wearing a letter or being here for a while makes one seemingly indispensable by default...I think Palmieri is a lot more important to the Devils going forward than Henrique, as far as a leadership guy who also contributes on the scoresheet goes.  Sure, Henrique enjoys some popularity, but again, he's a mostly average NHLer who, outside of one (flukey) 30 goal season and that crazy series-clinching goal against the Rangers, simply isn't that big of a deal.  I'm not saying to move him for the sake of moving him, but I don't think the Devils should necessarily be looking to be blown out of the water either...if a deal comes along that looks fair and will help, I'm making it. 

He's scored 20+ goals 3 times. Excluding his first year when he only played 1 game, that's 20+ goals in 3 out of 6 seasons. And one year when he didn't he only played in 42 games. 

Edited by Nicomo

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He's scored 20+ goals 3 times. Excluding his first year when he only played 1 game, that's 20+ goals in 3 out of 6 seasons. And one year when he didn't he only played in 42 games. 

For his career, he averages 22.5 G and 23.8 A per 82 GP.  You could also say that, in the five non-lockout seasons he's played in to date, in three of them, he's scored 20 or less.  He only averages 1.78 SPG for his career as well (including 1.73 this past season, and he's never managed 2+ SPG in any given season, which leads me to believe that he's probably not going to improve much in that regard).

So basically, he's a guy who probably going to wind up with 40-50 points, and when he's getting puck luck, might score in the mid-to-upper 20s in goals, and outside of doing a nice job converting the limited shots on goal that he does get, doesn't really excite otherwise.  He's OK, a nice player, but just not anyone worth treating as a some untouchable. 

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Honestly, he does get considered a "lifer", which is odd, since its only been six seasons. It feels like a hell of a lot longer, hard to fathom that he was only a mere rookie when we went to the Finals in 2012. 

I like him, a lot. I was planning on getting a Henrique jersey this year. Now I am gonna hold off because you dudes are making me paranoid that he's gonna be moved. 

As I said earlier (in this thread or another), you have to give something good to get something good. If Josefson could bring back a top 4 D, I'd have done it years ago. That's not happening. Henrique alone may not get you that, actually. But its a hell of a lot closer.