Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Satans Hockey

New scoreboard at the Rock?

Recommended Posts

Satans Hockey    728

A poster over on hf boards said this today "Toured the arena today before camp and was told they're finally installing a giant new scoreboard for the upcoming season" 

This would be fantastic. That video screen got outdated really quick, it's hard to even see the puck half the time on replays on it. It's one of the few complaints I have about the arena. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609

I actually mentioned this a few minutes ago in the Uniforms thread (didn't know where to put it).

If true this is great news.  At really no fault to anyone, but the current scoreboard was installed right before the new huge and mega-HD screens took over and was pretty much obsolete within 3 years.  I haven't been to other arenas for hockey games since the Pudential Center opened with the exception of Barclays, and I am always blown away about how much nicer theirs is.  MSG's new one looks equally as nice.

Now I wonder what the "new owners are too cheap to do this or that" crowd will say to this.  Doubt it will sway anything/anyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck the Duck    201

That is great news!  They said that replacing the scoreboard was on the to do list after the new owners took over, and they've been upgrading the rink methodically since then.  It's a big ticket item and will be a welcome upgrade.  Question is do they go rectangular like in TB or more square like MSG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satans Hockey    728
36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I actually mentioned this a few minutes ago in the Uniforms thread (didn't know where to put it).

If true this is great news.  At really no fault to anyone, but the current scoreboard was installed right before the new huge and mega-HD screens took over and was pretty much obsolete within 3 years.  I haven't been to other arenas for hockey games since the Pudential Center opened with the exception of Barclays, and I am always blown away about how much nicer theirs is.  MSG's new one looks equally as nice.

Now I wonder what the "new owners are too cheap to do this or that" crowd will say to this.  Doubt it will sway anything/anyone.

Yeah this part of the forum is usually dead and honestly could just be merged with the regular part at this point. Especially when you look at some of the threads below and some are 1 year or more old already. 

I would like to see some confirmation on this about the scoreboard because it's definitely something a lot of people have been wanting. I don't have much to say about the new owners either way but this would be hard to spin in a negative way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    572

I don't think there was anything wrong with our old scoreboard, but yea we just missed that massive Jerryworld inspired trend that has taken over. You look at boards in other arenas and the size and clarity just blow you away. Tampa's is awesome and the Rags (hate to say it have a good one too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
On 7/14/2017 at 9:49 AM, '7' said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with our old scoreboard, but yea we just missed that massive Jerryworld inspired trend that has taken over. You look at boards in other arenas and the size and clarity just blow you away. Tampa's is awesome and the Rags (hate to say it have a good one too

The new scoreboard never seemed to be a massive improvement over the old one at CAA, at least to me.  The screen was still somewhat small (and I think it was even a little bit on the smaller side compared to other stadiums being opened around the same time) and a lot of the space was still used for advertisements.  It took them years to finally use some of the space on "who's on the ice now" information, but before then it was 2/3 ads that were constantly being looped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDfan1711    208

I've only been to the new stadium once, in February of 2016, and I must say, although 90% of it was pretty awesome (I didn't get to tour as much of it as I wanted, but what I was was nice), one glaring disappointment and frankly surprise was the scoreboard.  For an arena that had just been built and opened a few years ago, I expected much better.  Indeed I'm probably spoiled with the one Tampa has, but again, for a new stadium, I was surprised to see such a small and rather outdated-looking one.  It doesn't make or break the experience, but when you're sitting in the 300s, being able to see information on a bigger and clearer screen definitely helps.  Nice to see they'll be upgrading that and doing something to make the fans experience watching the game in person a better one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck the Duck    201
15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I've only been to the new stadium once, in February of 2016, and I must say, although 90% of it was pretty awesome (I didn't get to tour as much of it as I wanted, but what I was was nice), one glaring disappointment and frankly surprise was the scoreboard.  For an arena that had just been built and opened a few years ago, I expected much better.  Indeed I'm probably spoiled with the one Tampa has, but again, for a new stadium, I was surprised to see such a small and rather outdated-looking one.  It doesn't make or break the experience, but when you're sitting in the 300s, being able to see information on a bigger and clearer screen definitely helps.  Nice to see they'll be upgrading that and doing something to make the fans experience watching the game in person a better one.

You have to remember, while the arena was new to you in 2016, it was already almost 9 years old by then.  As others have said, advancements in technology over the past decade quickly made the scoreboard obsolete, although I thought it was fine when the arena opened in 2017.  It's definitely time for an upgrade.  Looking forward to see what they put in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDfan1711    208
23 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

You have to remember, while the arena was new to you in 2016, it was already almost 9 years old by then.  As others have said, advancements in technology over the past decade quickly made the scoreboard obsolete, although I thought it was fine when the arena opened in 2017.  It's definitely time for an upgrade.  Looking forward to see what they put in.

Very true, wow, can't believe the arena is 10 years old now.  Feels like it just opened.  I would have guessed 5 years, 6 max.  I'm sure it has to deal with the fact that I don't live up there, but crazy how time flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Agree with others that the first Rock board seemed pretty sweet at the time, but advances in tech have rendered it meh at best.  Looking forward to the new one.

Anyone remember the original center scoreboard screens at BBA...the ones that were more like a bunch of smaller CRT TVs that when combined made one large image?  They were awful; for one, the borders of each individual TV were a bit distracting (almost looked a little like Asia's "Heat of the Moment" video)...and for another, one TV here and one TV there had a way of failing, so you'd get a big grayish block or two within the overall image...I forget how long the Devils tried to make do with that technology, but when they ditched the TV wall for a more conventional screen, it was a most welcome change.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with others that the first Rock board seemed pretty sweet at the time, but advances in tech have rendered it meh at best.  Looking forward to the new one.

Anyone remember the original center scoreboard screens at BBA...the ones that were more like a bunch of smaller CRT TVs that when combined made one large image?  They were awful; for one, the borders of each individual TV were a bit distracting (almost looked a little like Asia's "Heat of the Moment" video)...and for another, one TV here and one TV there had a way of failing, so you'd get a big grayish block or two within the overall image...I forget how long the Devils tried to make do with that technology, but when they ditched the TV wall for a more conventional screen, it was a most welcome change.    

I actually do remember that.  It was something like either 9 or 16 screens making it up and those borders were pretty obvious.  Combined with lack of HD and the screen was basically good for nothing.

Also, I am partial to Only Time Will Tell over Heat of the Moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devlman    100

You would figure that the Devils would have announced by now such a big upgrade. This is season ticket sales time and a big shiny new scoreboard would definitely be a selling point. So, the fact it has not been mentioned by the club makes me pessimistic it will be for this season - which is a bummer after reading thru this thread and getting excited for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, can't see tix being sold because of a scoreboard.  Could be that the Devils simply want to make sure that it's 100% ready to install...it would suck for them to make an announcement, only to have the thing not be finished (or to have issues during testing).

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I actually do remember that.  It was something like either 9 or 16 screens making it up and those borders were pretty obvious.  Combined with lack of HD and the screen was basically good for nothing.

Also, I am partial to Only Time Will Tell over Heat of the Moment.

They would also not quite be uniform in brightness and general color settings.  One of those things that probably looked a lot better in presentations than in real life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609

A poster on HF boards posted a pic from the Prudential Center instagram of a recent concert where you can see the two LED ribbons that went around the arena are now gone and possibly being replaced.  The old scoreboard is still there though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimmy Leeds    104
Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Also, I am partial to Only Time Will Tell over Heat of the Moment.

My God man...............their best song was Sole Survivor!!

Overall Asia disappointed.   All that "Super Group" hype........

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

My God man...............their best song was Sole Survivor!!

Overall Asia disappointed.   All that "Super Group" hype........

IMO most "Super Groups" kind of disappoint in one way or another.  The Traveling Wilbury's had a nice first album with a 2-3 hits, but the second album was a complete disaster (that and Orbison dying shortly after the first album was finished took a bit of the wind out of the sails of that).  The Firm was nothing really anything special and the Yardbirds were more of a launchpad for great musicians who had big careers after than when they were with the group.

Asia also had the disadvantage of being a group of guys from progressive rock bands.  By the time they got together progressive rock was pretty much on its way out and the prog-pop sound they put together got stale pretty quick.  That's why in the 80's a lot of the prog rock groups of the 80's went pretty hard towards pop with some prog influence such as the Moody Blues, Yes and to an extent Pink Floyd, King Crimson (yeah a little bit of a stretch) and Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry (they were somewhat prog rock).

Edited by DevsMan84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

My God man...............their best song was Sole Survivor!!

Overall Asia disappointed.   All that "Super Group" hype........

You are 100% right, Sole Survivor was their best tune.

From what I remember, I think Asia was thrown together by their record label (Geffen), mostly due to Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer looking like they were done, but Geffen still having band members under contract...Trevor Rabin (not well-known at the time, but who was a big part of the more radio-friendly incarnation of Yes) said that though he auditioned with Asia, he didn't think it would really go as far as it did, as he thought that the participants had no chemistry at all.  I never got the impression that the Asia's initial recording lineup was terribly into it (supposedly the late John Wetton was especially difficult to work with)...which in a way is kind of amazing, in that even if their debut album was nothing special, it still spawned some big hits...it makes you wonder what they might have written with even a little enthusiasm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerzey    202

Hopefully if true, it's going to be like the one at the new Little Caesars Arena.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You are 100% right, Sole Survivor was their best tune.

From what I remember, I think Asia was thrown together by their record label (Geffen), mostly due to Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer looking like they were done, but Geffen still having band members under contract...Trevor Rabin (not well-known at the time, but who was a big part of the more radio-friendly incarnation of Yes) said that though he auditioned with Asia, he didn't think it would really go as far as it did, as he thought that the participants had no chemistry at all.  I never got the impression that the Asia's initial recording lineup was terribly into it (supposedly the late John Wetton was especially difficult to work with)...which in a way is kind of amazing, in that even if their debut album was nothing special, it still spawned some big hits...it makes you wonder what they might have written with even a little enthusiasm.  

Bingo about why Asia formed.  ELP ended their initial run in 79 (they later reformed without Carl Palmer but instead very fortunately named Cozy Powell in the mid-80)'s, YES had cooled and were going through a transitional phase (and soon later added Trevor Horn who was the creative force behind their brief 80's renaissance) and King Crimson and Roxy Music (bands Wetton was involved with briefly) were on hiatus for an extended period of time.  Basically Geffen had a bunch of talented musicians with really nothing much else to do so they just threw them all together.

I heard the same about Wetton too.  However I will say he had a great and somewhat underrated voice that fit perfectly with what Asia was doing.  He was also the lead singer for King Crimson during their musical and creative height with the Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red (Kurt Cobain's supposed favorite all-time album) and was easily the best vocalist KC ever had (with all due respect to Adrian Belew but I never cared for his poor-man's David Byrne style singing).

Looking through Wikipedia, it looks like Asia released 14 studio albums.  That's about 11-12 more than I thought they released lol.  However it looks like after the 3rd album they went through a lot of personnel changes until their 11th album including Greg Lake being briefly part of the band. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Hopefully if true, it's going to be like the one at the new Little Caesars Arena.

 

 

I saw that posted on HF as well and it's a pretty cool looking board.  My only worry is for it being so damn huge that it is distracting.  The scoreboard at Barclay's is not that huge, but still much bigger than the Prudential Center and that one distracts me quite a bit when I am there lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bingo about why Asia formed.  ELP ended their initial run in 79 (they later reformed without Carl Palmer but instead very fortunately named Cozy Powell in the mid-80)'s, YES had cooled and were going through a transitional phase (and soon later added Trevor Horn who was the creative force behind their brief 80's renaissance) and King Crimson and Roxy Music (bands Wetton was involved with briefly) were on hiatus for an extended period of time.  Basically Geffen had a bunch of talented musicians with really nothing much else to do so they just threw them all together.

I heard the same about Wetton too.  However I will say he had a great and somewhat underrated voice that fit perfectly with what Asia was doing.  He was also the lead singer for King Crimson during their musical and creative height with the Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red (Kurt Cobain's supposed favorite all-time album) and was easily the best vocalist KC ever had (with all due respect to Adrian Belew but I never cared for his poor-man's David Byrne style singing).

Looking through Wikipedia, it looks like Asia released 14 studio albums.  That's about 11-12 more than I thought they released lol.  However it looks like after the 3rd album they went through a lot of personnel changes until their 11th album including Greg Lake being briefly part of the band. 

Yes I remember Emerson, Lake, and Powell...they had one semi-hit that I recall..."Touch and Go".  Was pretty good, nothing mind-blowing, but pretty good. 

Yeah, forgot that another Trevor (Horn, as producer) was a factor along with Rabin for Yes 2.0.  Also forgot that Horn sang with Yes briefly (1980), to a not-very-warm reception...I'll always think of Horn as the awkward-looking bass player in the "Video Killed the Radio Star" video.  Kind of interesting how Yes managed to adapt to a completely different era (albeit with largely different personnel), but (mostly due to Anderson's voice) were still pretty recognizable.  Do you remember the "Union" album, where old and new Yes all collaborated together?  Wakeman used to call "Onion", because he said he thought the result was so awful that he'd cry just thinking about it.  Ditto Bruford, who said it was the worst thing he'd ever recorded.  I know Rabin's always kind of had a odd relationship with being associated with Yes...he never wanted to use that name for his version of "Yes", as their sound was so different.  I think the Anderson-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe version has kind of grown to respect him over time, but I don't think that was always the case. 

I remember Wetton with KC too...and yeah, his voice did fit Asia perfectly.  Ironic in that I heard he was pretty miserable during much of his run with Asia.

49 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I saw that posted on HF as well and it's a pretty cool looking board.  My only worry is for it being so damn huge that it is distracting.  The scoreboard at Barclay's is not that huge, but still much bigger than the Prudential Center and that one distracts me quite a bit when I am there lol.

Agree, that kind of scoreboard seems almost overwhelming.  Just too damned big.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes I remember Emerson, Lake, and Powell...they had one semi-hit that I recall..."Touch and Go".  Was pretty good, nothing mind-blowing, but pretty good. 

Yeah, forgot that another Trevor (Horn, as producer) was a factor along with Rabin for Yes 2.0.  Also forgot that Horn sang with Yes briefly (1980), to a not-very-warm reception...I'll always think of Horn as the awkward-looking bass player in the "Video Killed the Radio Star" video.  Kind of interesting how Yes managed to adapt to a completely different era (albeit with largely different personnel), but (mostly due to Anderson's voice) were still pretty recognizable.  Do you remember the "Union" album, where old and new Yes all collaborated together?  Wakeman used to call "Onion", because he said he thought the result was so awful that he'd cry just thinking about it.  Ditto Bruford, who said it was the worst thing he'd ever recorded.  I know Rabin's always kind of had a odd relationship with being associated with Yes...he never wanted to use that name for his version of "Yes", as their sound was so different.  I think the Anderson-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe version has kind of grown to respect him over time, but I don't think that was always the case. 

I remember Wetton with KC too...and yeah, his voice did fit Asia perfectly.  Ironic in that I heard he was pretty miserable during much of his run with Asia.

Agree, that kind of scoreboard seems almost overwhelming.  Just do damned big.  

Horn actually came into YES on the album Drama as the lead singer that was just alright.  He later stepped aside the bit (but still remained heavily involved in writing, producing and singing on the next handful of their albums) in favor of Anderson coming back starting with the next album 90215 (which is the big one with Owner of a Lonely Heart and the like).  Oddly enough, the album right before Drama was Tomato which was actually pretty well received and was seen as a somewhat return to form for YES after their previous 2-3 albums flopped and Anderson leaving right after Tomato.

Yeah Rabin and Horn were always were seen and kind of saw themselves as outsiders to YES when they were with it.  To their credit though they brought YES into the 80's and gained them a whole new audience by drifting them away from strictly prog-rock symphonies to 80's new-wave pop/art rock (they got more artsy on the 2 albums following 90125 but still were still pop/new-wave enough for the masses).  Also oddly enough I believe the name that Horn wanted to rename the band when he joined was actually Tomato but that was dropping in favor of Cinema (which was somewhat of a new band with Rabin and others) which was also dropped in favor of just sticking to YES since that was a name fans already knew (also the record label didn't want to jettison that name at the expense of sales).

At one point I actually had every single YES album.  That includes Union which was pretty damn brutal.  It was an album I never listed to more than once and even then I don't think I listened to half of the album before skipping it.  It was a mess and a case of too many cooks in the kitchen and just being a plain bad idea.

From what I remember Wetton took KC breaking up after Red in 75 pretty hard.  I think he tried to bring back KC without Fripp but was unsuccessful.  Fripp wasn't interested and only brought back KC in 81-ish when he formed a brand new band called Discipline that he later renamed King Crimson since he said their music reminded him of KC and that it was a name people recognized.

Edited by DevsMan84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daniel    375

Per someone I know who talked with Devils marketing, the new scoreboard is definitely coming.  He was told that it was going to be the biggest arena scoreboard in the country.  I wonder though if they're all basically the same size, save a few square feet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevsMan84    609
14 hours ago, Daniel said:

Per someone I know who talked with Devils marketing, the new scoreboard is definitely coming.  He was told that it was going to be the biggest arena scoreboard in the country.  I wonder though if they're all basically the same size, save a few square feet.

That's good to hear and finally something a little more than basically 1 poster from HF boards saying this.  I assume that scoreboards are prefabricated and then at the arena it is assembled and installed, so it should really only take a couple or so days to install it.  Still plenty of time to do that I am thinking they do that within the next month.

Biggest in the country now?  Not bad and finally I will bother to look at the replays on the screen.  I gave up on that a long time ago lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satans Hockey    728

I wonder if Philly is getting a newer one as well, I was down there on Sunday and they had their electronic ribbons all down like the rock has right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×