NFL 2017 Thread

'7'

Here's a fun stat - the Ravens have already cut with injury settlement or IR'd 7 players between June 1 and Aug 1.  

That also doesn't count the left guard that retired due to CTE risk and the fact that the rest of their tight ends are being held together by bubble gum and duct tape.  They are a mess roster-wise - this might be the year that they bottom out if they can't pull it together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

Here's a fun stat - the Ravens have already cut with injury settlement or IR'd 7 players between June 1 and Aug 1.  

That also doesn't count the left guard that retired due to CTE risk and the fact that the rest of their tight ends are being held together by bubble gum and duct tape.  They are a mess roster-wise - this might be the year that they bottom out if they can't pull it together.

I hope they bottom out so hard, they leave a hole in the ground eight feet deep. I hate the Ravens more than any team not named the Jets, Pats, or Bills. 

Edited by MadDog2020

If there is a year to tank this is the one: In fact I kind of hope the Jets beat the Bills Week 1 and I am a Buffalo fan. Want the Jets to win 5-6 games to ensure they don't get Sam Darnold

Buffalo will win 7 games again but the 7 wins will have more quality and the team will be a much better watch, but will miss out on franchise QB's to draft yet again, unless Kansas City completely tanks LOL.

Edited by LOTCB

6 hours ago, '7' said:

Sterling Shepard carted off of Giants camp. Appeared to be in severe pain and crying.

They're saying it's a low ankle sprain, and nothing long term.

In other news, it looks like Forest Lamp is out for the season with a torn ACL.  Absolute worst when that happens to a player before he can establish himself.  He was the guy I wanted the Phins to draft in the first round.  I'm a big believer that a strong offensive line is the key to most teams' success and you can't have too many good offensive linemen.  Whole butterfly effect suggests that the injury might not have happened if he's somewhere else, although maybe medically it's just bound to happen to some people. 

1 hour ago, LOTCB said:

Ryan Tannehill may have a leg injury...these injuries in camp are a real downer...want to see the best players during the season...does it appear there are more injuries in practice now more then ever?

Way more than ever. I don't remember anything like this in the 90s and early 2000's. Seemed to really start getting bad about 10-12 years ago.

It was a non contact injury. Knee injury. It is a real downer to see stuff like this happen. I don't know if it's offseason training habits or the pace and tempo of practice relative to what it used to be...but it's an epidemic that needs to stop.

It's awareness...the injuries were ALWAYS there but:

1. we are more smart to our bodies now and many of the "suck it up and play" injuries are taken care of now

2. the access now is infinitely greater....I can sit at home put the NFL network on and see the Saints or whoever in Training Camp.....can't hide a guy walking off the field if it happens live and on camera....or if it doesn't some beat reporter is gonna tweet it...and BOOM the world knows in five minutes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LOTCB said:

Ryan Tannehill may have a leg injury...these injuries in camp are a real downer...want to see the best players during the season...does it appear there are more injuries in practice now more then ever?

Being a Dolphins fan sucks. Ugh.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nflvideos/footage-of-tannehill-injuring-knee-during-practice/vi-AApng0E

Doesn't look good based on this.  Looks like his foot landed a bit weirdly before he collapsed on the sideline. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The good news for the Dolphins is:

1. They have a very good roster at many levels. Good skill players and some real talent on D

2. Adam Gase is the best coach Miami has had in many moons. Gase can probably talk a Cutler out of retirement or go with Matt Moore and keep the Dolphins offense moving along.

• Like 1

I feel your pain in similar ways, Brady has to get too old at some point, right? default_laugh.png

He turned 40 yesterday. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end, but we'll all probably be stuck with him playing on a high level for another couple of years. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, CRASHER said:

It's awareness...the injuries were ALWAYS there but:

1. we are more smart to our bodies now and many of the "suck it up and play" injuries are taken care of now

2. the access now is infinitely greater....I can sit at home put the NFL network on and see the Saints or whoever in Training Camp.....can't hide a guy walking off the field if it happens live and on camera....or if it doesn't some beat reporter is gonna tweet it...and BOOM the world knows in five minutes

Agreed. Just from following the Buffalo Bills as close as I do, there are 1000 'beat reporters' who attend Bills Training Camp and if a player sneezes the wrong way, it becomes 'Breaking News'

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He turned 40 yesterday. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end, but we'll all probably be stuck with him playing on a high level for another couple of years. emoji20.png

Father Time is undefeated, don't worry the day is coming sooner then most think

• Like 1

The good news for the Dolphins is:
1. They have a very good roster at many levels. Good skill players and some real talent on D
2. Adam Gase is the best coach Miami has had in many moons. Gase can probably talk a Cutler out of retirement or go with Matt Moore and keep the Dolphins offense moving along.

I really like Matt Moore- he's a good soldier. His teammates love him. He has good command of the offense. I just worry about his consistency for all 16 games- after all, he's a backup for a reason (not to mention a concussion waiting to happen, as Moore has had several). But I agree on Gase- he's a very good coach. I'm thrilled we have him, and I hope he's here for a very long time.

3 hours ago, LOTCB said:

I feel your pain in similar ways, Brady has to get too old at some point, right? :lol:

I think when Brady does finally decline (no one is immune), I think it will be very sudden and very quick...obviously Peyton Manning was never in the same kind of physical shape that Brady is, and had neck issues, but Manning's first three seasons with the Broncos were terrific...then just like that, he was a feeble shell of himself...very much a passenger and damned near an obstacle to overcome during Denver's victorious SB run.  Was almost impossible to see that coming off his previous season. 

I think at most, Brady has two years playing at this kind of level, and if it turns out to be that many, I'll be thrilled...if he ever suffers a season-ending injury, I think that will end his Patriots career for sure...he may go play somewhere else once he recovers, but I think BB & Co will instantly turn things over to Garoppolo, and not look back...obviously if Tom was in his mid-30s, it's a different story.  No matter what ANYONE does, it's very hard for people to Gordie Howe or Jagr themselves into playing forever...Brady might turn out to be that rarest of exceptions, but no one can bet on that.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think when Brady does finally decline (no one is immune), I think it will be very sudden and very quick...obviously Peyton Manning was never in same kind of physical shape that Brady is, and had neck issues, but Manning's first three seasons with the Broncos were terrific...then just like that, he was a feeble shell of himself...very much a passenger and damned near an obstacle to overcome during Denver's victorious SB run.  Was almost impossible to see that coming off his previous season. 

I think at most, Brady has two years playing at this kind of level, and if it turns out to be that many, I'll be thrilled...if he ever suffers a season-ending injury, I think that will end his Patriots career for sure...he may go play somewhere else once he recovers, but I think BB & Co will instantly turn things over to Garoppolo, and not look back...obviously if Tom was in his mid-30s, it's a different story.  No matter what ANYONE does, it's very hard for people to Gordie Howe or Jagr themselves into playing forever...Brady might turn out to be that rarest of exceptions, but no one can bet on that.  

Good post and I agree.

The one thing about Brady however is a good amount of his throws are short and to players who are generally wide open. The offense is run to such precision which means Tom does not have to rely as much on arm strength as most QB's. So based on that he may last a lot longer then we think. 

As for Garoppolo: I wonder if BB and Tom said something to the effect of 'If Tom wins his 6th this year Tom will retire' and that is why JG is content in NE he may know when he is gonna have the reigns turned over to him.

30 minutes ago, LOTCB said:

Good post and I agree.

The one thing about Brady however is a good amount of his throws are short and to players who are generally wide open. The offense is run to such precision which means Tom does not have to rely as much on arm strength as most QB's. So based on that he may last a lot longer then we think. 

As for Garoppolo: I wonder if BB and Tom said something to the effect of 'If Tom wins his 6th this year Tom will retire' and that is why JG is content in NE he may know when he is gonna have the reigns turned over to him.

Part of the reason he's able to complete the shorter throws is that he CAN go deep if he needs to...even when he doesn't have great deep threats (at times he's had them, at other times not)...teams respect that.  And for the majority of his career, he's had O-lines that have been terrific at keeping him upright. 

I still think no matter what, I just can't see him playing at his current level beyond two more years...I'll be blown away if he does.  It will be interesting to see if he's still a Patriot if that happens. 

As for the "6th Super Bowl Does He Call It Quits" scenario...I really think it comes down to how he's feeling physically.  If he's showing the first signs of slowing down and breaking down, he might just get out.  If he's as good as he's ever been, then he's going for #7 the next season.  I think if THAT ever happened (winning a 7th SB), he might just leave no matter how he's feeling...what else could be possibly have left to prove at that point? 

A lot of people seem to think the Pats will win this thing easily this year (some even predict 19-0), but I don't see it.  Yes, they're clearly a contender for it, no question, as long as Brady stays healthy and productive, yes, they absolutely could win it again...but it's just VERY difficult to win back-to-back...you don't see it happen all that much.  And we've only seen 3-out-of-4 twice in NFL history.  You can have all of the talent and coaching in the world, but you need some breaks too (key guys not getting hurt, etc)...it's just hard to get enough of them year in and year out in the NFL to keep coming away with Super Bowl rings. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't think there's any shot Brady walks away if they have a chance to be the only Super Bowl three peat unless he's in worse physical shape than Elway when he walked away from a possible three peat, Brady is too competitive to willingly pass that up.

I think the only way Brady doesn't play at least 3 more years is if he concedes to Giselle who wants him to retire.

Brady really seems to be in great physical shape...he had the knee injury against KC in 2008 and has not had the same mobility since then, but other than a few blips he has never been a QB that got hit much. Which is exactly how you want to protect your franchise player. Also I don't recall any throwing arm injuries.

Don't quite recall Elways physical condition when he retired short of a 3 peat but I bet it was pretty rotten. He ran around way more than Brady, and got beat up a lot on hits that would earn guys personal fouls, fines, and suspensions now. 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't think there's any shot Brady walks away if they have a chance to be the only Super Bowl three peat unless he's in worse physical shape than Elway when he walked away from a possible three peat, Brady is too competitive to willingly pass that up.

Agree with this pretty much...as long as he's still reasonably healthy and productive should the Pats win #6 (and their second straight), he'll almost definitely come back for a shot at #7/third straight.  It's what would happen after that...also have NO idea what shape the Pats will be in at that point.  NO run lasts forever...this thing is going to end eventually.  But it comes back to the same thing for me...at Brady's age, as we saw with Peyton, it can end very quickly and abruptly.  This conversation might not even be relevant by the end of the season.