Can the Devils Make the Playoffs in 17-18?

Derlique

On 8/10/2017 at 11:32 AM, Marshall said:

Here's the final part of the write-up: https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/10/28/testing-and-final-remarks/#more-12725 You can backtrack from there. It's comprehensive and exhausting, yes, but it has to be. It's not the Silver Bullet or Everything - but it's better than doing the model in your head (ie looking at a bunch of stats and weighing them yourself). 

When I look at that write-up (the AATJ one), what I take from that is that NJ needs a real top tier performer, either on D or F and a bounce-back season from Schneider to really have a shot. 

Honestly, I think a better model is simply looking at where the Devils finished last year and having watched close to eighty percent of their games.  I'll take it on faith that GAR might reveal truths that are counter-intuitive, but I find it very hard to believe that Lovejoy is in the top half of all NHL defensemen. 

Otherwise, it's pretty obvious that the Devils will win significantly more games if Schneider returns to form, unless you're one of those blowhards on NHL Network.  And they could sniff the playoffs and maybe even sneak in if Nico is good enough to be a Calder candidate or win it outright, Zacha takes a huge step forward and if they could somehow land another legit defensemen, but that ship seems to have sailed. 

I guess Shero could try and get something very good from Detroit to relieve them of their cap problems.

16 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

NJ absolutely can. If Cory Schneider has a .929 sv% season NJ has a pretty good chance. 

929 seems like a pretty lofty expectation.  His save percentages in NJ are: 921, 925, 924, 908.  Career average is 922.  I think a best case scenario for this season is 920 given the turd defense currently slated to skate in front of him.  I also think it's possible (anything is, right?) that he comes in at 918 or thereabouts, again, noting the current make up of the d-core.  That said, I'm of course hoping he plays on his head and totally redeems himself [insert D&D gif].

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Also, I don't like to be negative (Little Ball of Hate was one of Verbeek's nicknames, not mine!) so I usually don't say anything too negative BUT no. No playoffs. Not without Trav half the year.  :evilcry: I hope I'm wrong.  

I'm sorry, but Travis Zajac is not the difference between a playoff team and a non-playoff team...

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

For this group he might very well be. If nothing else, the odds take a huge tumble.

It puts us further away, maybe. But it's not like I was looking at this roster and saying "we're in", and now I've changed my mind. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It puts us further away, maybe. But it's not like I was looking at this roster and saying "we're in", and now I've changed my mind. 

I think losing him while not the complete end of the world is a bigger loss than what you are suggesting.  He was a nice two way forward who helped out quite a bit in our own end.  Considering our D is a dumpster fire, this will certainly hurt us even more in that department.

Great teams can shoulder the loss of an important player - and Zajac certainly is that for NJ - and fragile teams lacking depth cannot.  When a 40 point 2-way center is a devastating loss to your club, you know your club simply isn't there yet.  This injury makes the improbable idea of making the playoffs even more improbable.  Anything can happen, as they say, but barring a major trade where we fleece another club, I think it's a relatively safe bet to say this current roster, playing in a stacked division, will be a long shot to make the playoffs.  I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Sharifijanov2099

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think losing him while not the complete end of the world is a bigger loss than what you are suggesting.  He was a nice two way forward who helped out quite a bit in our own end.  Considering our D is a dumpster fire, this will certainly hurt us even more in that department.

Are you suggesting that he WAS the difference between making the playoffs or not, because all I suggested was that he wasn't. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Are you suggesting that he WAS the difference between making the playoffs or not, because all I suggested was that he wasn't. 

I wasn't suggesting that.  Like others have said it just made an already tough job even tougher.

On the bright side this should help our chances on getting a good draft pick next year.  Bad news is that we might have to sit through months of crap hockey before we get there.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I wasn't suggesting that.  Like others have said it just made an already tough job even tougher.

On the bright side this should help our chances on getting a good draft pick next year.  Bad news is that we might have to sit through months of crap hockey before we get there.

Yeah and this time in ugly jerseys!!!!