Will Butcher Agrees to Terms with Devils for 2017

LittleBallofHate

Update... but not really... 

Darren Dreger ‏Verified account @DarrenDreger 4 hours ago

Will Butcher is still visiting NHL teams. 3-4 still in the mix. Decision expected either this weekend or start of next week.

ETA: Mike Morreale spoke with Will's agent and is under the impression that the decision will be on Sunday; he does not mention the Devils in this article though: https://www.nhl.com/news/hobey-baker-winner-will-butcher-to-pick-nhl-team-sunday/c-290755970

Last Edit: Update to the nhl.com article: 

Defenseman Will Butcher, winner of the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in NCAA Division I men's hockey last season, will choose an NHL team by Sunday.

"I will be making my decision on Sunday with my family and my agent there with me," Butcher said in an email to NHL.com on Thursday.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

Butcher should see if ESPN will feature an hour-long special on him for Sunday as he reveals the lucky team to which he plans on taking his talents...

In all seriousness though, I do find it a bit ridiculous that these NCAA free agents have so much hype surrounding them, when most of them are probably fringe NHL players. It's another reason that the whole "loophole" doesn't bother me too much.

I think he's going elsewhere. (Buffalo/Vegas)  wanted to go a team that really wanted him, not just another young guy in the system. I'm wondering if Kerfoot going to Avs changes anything about Duchene's future? 

26 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I think he's going elsewhere. (Buffalo/Vegas)  wanted to go a team that really wanted him, not just another young guy in the system. I'm wondering if Kerfoot going to Avs changes anything about Duchene's future? 

We should be trading for Duchene as a Zajac fill in...

I dunno, for some reason I'm liking my chances.  He has to look at our D core and prospects and think he can step right in sooner than later.

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We should be trading for Duchene as a Zajac fill in...

If he comes with an extension, sure.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't think we have the pieces for Duchene assuming the are still looking for defense 

Especially considering before the Draft the Islanders offered Sakic a package of Hamonic, a 2018 1st, and a prospect, which if then you flip Hamonic to Calgary for what NYI got for him would make the cumulative return for Duchene become two 1st Rounders, two 2nd Rounders, and a prospect.

Yeah, Sakic is insane.

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Especially considering before the Draft the Islanders offered Sakic a package of Hamonic, a 2018 1st, and a prospect, which if then you flip Hamonic to Calgary for what NYI got for him would make the cumulative return for Duchene become two 1st Rounders, two 2nd Rounders, and a prospect.

Yeah, Sakic is insane.

Insane and/or just a terrible GM.

He's going to either lose Duchene to free agency, or get pennies-on-the-dollar compared to the offers he's already turned down.

I'm firmly in the terrible GM camp, guy doesn't apparently know how to negotiate. 

Bringing this back to Butcher (Duchene, no way, we're not one piece away and Trav is coming back - it would be silly to consider since we'd have to overpay): 

Mike Chambers‏ Verified account @MikeChambers 

UFA D Will Butcher is traveling to New Jersey today to meet w #Devils & #LAKings among top choices, I learned at @DU_Hockey pro camp this AM

37 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Bringing this back to Butcher (Duchene, no way, we're not one piece away and Trav is coming back - it would be silly to consider since we'd have to overpay): 

Mike Chambers‏ Verified account @MikeChambers 

UFA D Will Butcher is traveling to New Jersey today to get Devils' fans' hopes up before signing with another team and crushing their dreams of improving their defense & #LAKings among top choices, I learned at @DU_Hockey pro camp this AM

Fixed. 

• Like 1

People are acting like this kid is the second coming of christ.  I get we need defense, but a Hobey Baker award doesn't necessarily translate into a good NHL player.  And for people to be chomping at the bit for one who hasn't even played an NHL shift yet is just odd to me. Ray needs to play this smart and not give this kid the world like other teams will.

• Like 2

People are acting like this kid is the second coming of christ.  I get we need defense, but a Hobey Baker award doesn't necessarily translate into a good NHL player.  And for people to be chomping at the bit for one who hasn't even played an NHL shift yet is just odd to me. Ray needs to play this smart and not give this kid the world like other teams will.

Dude screams 'Matt Gilroy' to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

See.....Mike Mottau.  

I'd love to give the kid a shot.  Very interesting that the Devils are even on his radar.  He could be the player that Del Zotto was trying to be, at least if his two-way game holds up. 

27 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You can't give a player like this the world, there's only so much you can give a player on an entry level contract.

I think people are just joking about giving him a huge contract.  Pretty much all of us know how entry level deals work for the most part.

For my part, I'd love to have him here because there's pretty much no downside unless he turns out to be awful and is somehow a coach's favorite.  

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude screams 'Matt Gilroy' to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really.  Matt Gilroy was a 24 going on 25 year old senior when he won the Hobey Baker.  Butcher turned 22 this past January.  Also, Gilroy, as a 19 year old was playing in the same league as Steve Santini did as a 15 year old and their point totals were fairly similar.  

As someone said, if you think he's going to be underwhelming, then Mike Mattau is a better comparison.  You look at Mattau's college numbers and it's surprising that he didn't turn out to be better than he did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think people are being pretty reasonable about him. I'm not noticing a lot of people calling him anything but a possible 2nd pairing guy once developed. Seems fine