Sign in to follow this  
SMantzas

2017-2018 Prospects Thread

SMantzas    281

With many Euro leagues are set to begin in the coming days, I think it's a good time to get prospect chatter into this thread.

Daniel    349

Corey Pronman rated us the fifth best prospect system, fwiw.  I like him generally because he seems to have the most sober view of prospects generally.  However, I lost a lot of respect for him with the Cale Makar click bait post.

SMantzas    281
46 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Corey Pronman rated us the fifth best prospect system, fwiw.  I like him generally because he seems to have the most sober view of prospects generally.  However, I lost a lot of respect for him with the Cale Makar click bait post.

He did apologize profusely for the error, but yeah, his confidence was very annoying. I like him as well but couldn't justify Insider when they canned Custance

Triumph    583

There's almost no way that Pronman is at ESPN Insider this time next year.

Daniel    349
1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Is espn just going to give up hockey coverage all together and just repost AP headlines?  I mean who would be left?  LeBrun?

Triumph    583
4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Is espn just going to give up hockey coverage all together and just repost AP headlines?  I mean who would be left?  LeBrun?

LeBrun is already gone.  I haven't looked at ESPN hockey coverage in a serious way in a long time but yeah, clearly that is their intent.  I doubt Insider is doing great, they cut the best writers and now the Athletic is a thing.

SMantzas    281
On 8/15/2017 at 8:49 PM, Triumph said:

LeBrun is already gone.  I haven't looked at ESPN hockey coverage in a serious way in a long time but yeah, clearly that is their intent.  I doubt Insider is doing great, they cut the best writers and now the Athletic is a thing.

The Athletic has been great for hockey but do you think they've made a dent in other sports? 

Ian Pulz has been tweeting about the U-20 4 Nations games. Here's some of the updates, from most recent to Aug 23: 

Yegor Zaitsev scores the go-ahead goal for Team Russia while short-handed to win 2-1 #NJDevils

Yegor Zaitsev also on RUS's 4th def. pairing, played 2nd pairing for them yesterday

U20 4Nations today, Mikhail Maltsev top-line C for RUS, Fabian Zetterlund top-line RW for SWE & Aarne Talvitie topline RW for FIN #NJDevils

Also fun to note that for the U20 Four Nations Tournament, Yegor Zaitsev has the "C" for Russia and Mikhail Maltsev has an "A" #NJDevils

In the U20 match between RUS vs. SWE, Mikhail Maltsev scored a goal (1st line C) & Fabian Zetterlund had 2 assists (2nd line LW) #NJDevils

Aarne Talvitie centering the 2nd line for the Finnish U20 National Team #NJDevils

Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz  Aug 23  Yegor Rykov registered 14:24 minutes on ice today and registered an assist for SKA in their 7-1 victory #NJDevils

• Like 4

mfitz804    1,314
51 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Ian Pulz has been tweeting about the U-20 4 Nations games. Here's some of the updates, from most recent to Aug 23: 

Yegor Zaitsev scores the go-ahead goal for Team Russia while short-handed to win 2-1 #NJDevils

Yegor Zaitsev also on RUS's 4th def. pairing, played 2nd pairing for them yesterday

U20 4Nations today, Mikhail Maltsev top-line C for RUS, Fabian Zetterlund top-line RW for SWE & Aarne Talvitie topline RW for FIN #NJDevils

Also fun to note that for the U20 Four Nations Tournament, Yegor Zaitsev has the "C" for Russia and Mikhail Maltsev has an "A" #NJDevils

In the U20 match between RUS vs. SWE, Mikhail Maltsev scored a goal (1st line C) & Fabian Zetterlund had 2 assists (2nd line LW) #NJDevils

Aarne Talvitie centering the 2nd line for the Finnish U20 National Team #NJDevils

Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz  Aug 23  Yegor Rykov registered 14:24 minutes on ice today and registered an assist for SKA in their 7-1 victory #NJDevils

I'm sorry, do we have two prospects named "Yegor"? That's awesome!

Gremess    0
On 8/22/2017 at 4:10 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

A little article on Kevin Rooney because, why not, not much else going on...  Nothing earth shattering - read if you're bored :D 

http://canton.wickedlocal.com/news/20170821/cantons-rooney-excited-about-nhl-shot

amazing! thanks for sharing! and thanks for the link. am i the only one who is so excited about what's about to come? :D

Marshall    174
On 8/16/2017 at 1:21 AM, Triumph said:

#MediaInsider 

Marshall    174

Looks bad. 

Edit: broken wrist.

Edited by Marshall

SMantzas    281
4 hours ago, Marshall said:

Looks bad. 

Edit: broken wrist.

Looked like it couldve been a lot worse. Broken wrist likely means 4-6 weeks, which means he should have no problem with being ready for the WJC

• Like 3

WOOT! :evil:

Amanda Stein‏Verified account @amandacstein

We'll be heading to Buff next wk for the Prospects Challenge. I'll have full coverage for you, including my life on the road via Instagram!

And yes, @NJDevils fans! We will be streaming the games so you can keep your eyes on all the action!

• Like 3

vadvlfan    33
19 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

WOOT! :evil:

Amanda Stein‏Verified account @amandacstein

We'll be heading to Buff next wk for the Prospects Challenge. I'll have full coverage for you, including my life on the road via Instagram!

And yes, @NJDevils fans! We will be streaming the games so you can keep your eyes on all the action!

Look forward to it.  

Quiet day on the NJD board so I'll post this article with a few tidbits about Popugaev (with bonus Matvichuk quotes!): 

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/sports/popugaev-key-in-cougars-preseason-win-1.22369477?utm_content=bufferc2216&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Nikita Popugaev is tuning up his act for the NHL and on Friday afternoon in Red Deer the big Russian winger served up a reminder why he was so highly-coveted by the Prince George Cougars when they made the trade to acquire him last January.

"Big Poppy was flying, that's the best I've seen him skate," said Cougars head coach Richard Matvichuk.

"It was good to see that he has that confidence that he had at the end of the year. He's a player for us no doubt. With his skating and his physical presence, he was the best player on the ice."

• Like 3

Big Poppy is an awesome nickname. 

• Like 2

vadvlfan    33

Does McCleod/Bastian have to go back to jrs. if they don't make the team or Speers for that matter. Aren't they old enough for AHL?  Gignac?