NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

Figured I might as well post this before the football draft comes out of hibernation, I auto-renewed the hockey league https://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/njdevsfhl/2016 but need to make sure everyone's coming back again, so kindly check in on or off the board at some point in the next couple weeks - no hurry since we have six weeks (especially since this'll get swamped in a few days by the football stuff for a while) but gotta know sooner or later in the likely case at least one or two replacements need to be made. 

Right now I've set the draft at Monday October 2, 8 PM just before the season. Only keeper-eligible players are on everyone's roster, we're still keeping three.  Since I didn't have to wait for anyone else to pick their slot, I already did the draft order with the current team names:

1. New Jersey Swamps (might as well have the top pick)
  2. NJDefenders
  3. Sworn Defenders
  4. Eat Another Donut
  5. Dynamo Nation
  6. NeoThrashers
  7. Zamboni Warriors
  8. Devils Advocate
  9. Wolverines!
  10. Moves like Jagr
  11. Eaglejelly
  12. DirtyMike
  13. One More Tank
  14. Squirtle Squad

It's obviously a snake draft as usual.  The overall draft pick listing also reflects previously traded picks (i.e. my traded eighth-rounder last year belongs to Zamboni).  People can strike further deals before the draft via off-board PM but since Yahoo! doesn't allow pre-draft deals I have to manually change everything so please post the deal here.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 8/19/2017 at 4:01 PM, redruM said:

Can we set keepers on the App or do we have to be on a computer?

Doesn't appear you can do it off the app but since there's still six weeks that shouldn't be an issue.

6 minutes ago, MantaRay said:

For clarification: We all get to keep three players, regardless of position.  How does this impact the draft.  Is this where we drafted them like in football?  or they come off the top?

Off the bottom (rounds 21-23)

On 8/22/2017 at 1:48 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

The ones still on your roster are.

It's only players drafted after the first five rounds that are eligible to be kept in perpetuity. I lop off the non keepers after every season.

Ah, after the first 5 rounds.  That makes sense

If anyone's looking for keepers and wants Ehlers, Seth Jones, Jake Gardener, Charlie Coyle, Orlov, Slavin, Tyson Jost, Matt Barzal, Alec Martinez, Dylan strome, Jordan Staal, Miles Wood or John Gibson let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're the only one that didn't like it lol, but if everyone else wants to chime in go ahead.

The draft did tend to run a little long in prior years because of the sheer length - even with keepers 20x14=280 picks, the 60 second clock really made it a bit crisper.  If anything I wish there could be a minimum clock too cause a lot of teams (most weren't even on autopick) just banged out picks in several seconds - which also tells me people liked brevity - and that more than anything made it almost too fast in certain junctures and could have thrown off the procrastination element.  Hell usually I'm one of the procrastinators, but most of my draft went pretty well last year in spite of the clock other than reaching for Hartnell and probably another couple of mid-round picks.

Yahoo actually allows as quick as 15 seconds per pick but that'd be monumentally ridiculous :lol:  Two minutes is their max and that'd also be ridiculous on the other end.  I think 75 seconds is doable if people would rather have a little longer but 90 and we'd go back to grinding 2.5 hour drafts.  I liked the pace at 60 though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I get that and 75 seconds is better than 60.  Agreed also that a minimum would solve some of the issues...    but my problems come deeper into the draft when I'm trying to figure out the best compliments etc.    picking star players I agree... 60 seconds is fine.    Especially at and near the turn.     

Plus the extra thirty seconds would have allowed me to snag Laine...  instead I got auto drafted Reinhardt because I assumed Laine would be gone end of 5th or definitely in the first keeper pick.    I will triple check my computer has no updates before the draft Lol.    

Edited by aylbert

Since we're talking about the draft I figured I'd ask. Any chance we can move the draft to Sunday night? Right now it's scheduled for Monday Oct 2, any chance we can do Sunday Oct 1? I don't think I can make the Monday night draft.

Also as far as the time, I think it is best at 60 sec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no issues with Sunday over Monday, I like to put the draft as close to the season as practicable while still leaving time for pickups. But the night is negotiable, that's another area feedback is welcomed...I'm fine with whatever so long as I can make it then (and so long as it's set in stone a week beforehand) :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just bumping for the informal votes on draft night and pick time, and if those who haven't checked in yet (see op) don't by the end of the week or so we'll have to start looking for new owners. We'll probably have to turn over at least 2-3 teams based on lack of activity last year and not checking in now but we have had 10/14 confirmed returning atm.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 9/6/2017 at 8:52 PM, DevilMinder said:

i vote 75 myself, the 60 was a little too fast if there was an unexpected pick in front of you (the one you wanted).

Sundays are fine for me, as long as Giants aren't playing.... :)

They do have a 4:05 game 10/1 but the draft would almost certainly start after the end of the game.

• Like 1