2017 NJDevs Survival Football - Value Wins*

aylbert

The rules to survival football are quite easy.   Each week, pick one team to win their game - no spreads, just win.   You can only use that team once though for the year... after that, you must pick a new team to win.    We do double elimination...  so you can afford to be risky up front or you can follow the crowd with the odd on favorites, etc...  it's your call.

Picks are due before the 1PM Sunday game (so if you miss the Thursday game, no biggie... you just can't pick the winner after the fact - it won't let you.  ha)

Sign up link: https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/register/joinprivategroup?gid=13766&password=elias

Edited by aylbert

• 2 weeks later...

9 Teams in so far;  still another week to join I think; but you'll be in true survival mode without the second strike safeguard.

All 9 teams survived week 1...

Aylbert, EagleJelly, Jarek, Picking from a Hat went with Buffalo as they beat the lowly Jets 21-12  (although the Jets did cover the spread; which might have been painful if we played it that way)
Big Blue and Goodell went with the Steelers, who defeated the Browns by 3, 21-18
Swamps and Champs Pick-o-the-week went with the Falcons, who defeated the Bears 23-17
And siting alone but still pretty, VALUE went with the Rams who smacked the Luckless Colts, 46-9.

On to Week 2.

Last week was real tough picking, I'm a bit surprised we went 9-9.  I hate picking division games on the road so that pretty much ruled out the Steelers and Bills, but I almost got dinged picking the Falcons on the road (and they weren't even my initial pick, I don't even remember who my initial pick was - maybe it was the Steelers). 

This week probably everyone'll pick the same game other than ayl who likes to be derivative in case that game somehow blows up.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This week probably everyone'll pick the same game other than ayl who likes to be derivative in case that game somehow blows up.

That said, my current pick is the Ravens over the Browns because of precisely what you mentioned...   too many people on Oakland this  week.

Hah I noticed that about you in these pools.

Yeah I'm going chalk there obviously...not only cause it's gonna be 45-10 this week but also cause it's not like the Raiders have too many other complete no-brainer games where you have to take them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There was another obvious pick this week "whoever's playing the Colts" pick, I don't give a damn which Johnson is running the ball this week, the Colts are an unwatchable disaster :P

On 9/12/2017 at 10:46 PM, CRASHER said:

There was another obvious pick this week "whoever's playing the Colts" pick, I don't give a damn which Johnson is running the ball this week, the Colts are an unwatchable disaster :P

Well at least my game's over early, the Cards had to sweat out Jacoby Brissett before squeaking one out :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 chumps... and the rest know winners (even if OT was needed).

Let's start with Eaglejelly and Jerek forgetting to pick for week 2...   that's an easy strike.   Fortunately you have one more strike but you have lost your safety net.

Outside of that, we had some variety this week with  Big Blue, Swamps and Picking from a Hat going against the Jets wisely ---  with the Raiders smacking them 45-20.
Goodell went with the Cardinals who squeaked out over the Colts, 16-13 in OT.
The Champs went gutsy with the Chiefs over the Eagles... and prevailed 27-20.
Lastly, Aylbert went with the Ravens as they defeated the Browns 24-10.

On to week 3...  first chance for elimination.    EagleJelly has a pick in; Jarek does not so far.

2 hours ago, aylbert said:

2 chumps... and the rest know winners (even if OT was needed).

Let's start with Eaglejelly and Jerek forgetting to pick for week 2...   that's an easy strike.   Fortunately you have one more strike but you have lost your safety net.

On to week 3...  first chance for elimination.    EagleJelly has a pick in; Jarek does not so far.

I know I had chosen the Raiders, but I guess it didn't save it. I wasn't allowed to make a pick for the Monday game when I noticed the issue on Sunday :rant:

The Jets win, Jarek just didn't play past week 1.

Jarek is eliminated with his second straight no-show.

Aylbert and Goodell bet the Jets would be a no-show in the AFC East rivalry against the Dolphins... and they were wrong.  Jets beat the Giants to the win column, as the Jets won 20-6.   STRRRRRIKE 1 for those two.
Big Blue, Picking from a Hat and Eagle Jelly went with the Packers as they narrowly beat the Bengals, 27-24
Swamps, Champs and Value went with the Patriots, who also narrowly won, defeating the Texans 36-33.

It would have been epic if everyone took a strike this week... but alas, they didn't. 
On to week 4 we go.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 4 saw some losses; and Goodell also quit... C'mon man.

So to start, Goodell failed to pick for the second straight week... he's outta here.

Big Blue went with the Falcons who fell to the Bills 23-17 for strike 1.
Also taking a strike was Champs Pick Of The Week, as the Rams are showing some promise, winning 35-30.
Most of the league (Swamps, Picking from a Hat, VALUE and EagleJelly) was successful with the Seahawks who simply smacked the Colts around 46-18.
Aylbert narrowly survived the week with the Cardinals defeating the 49ers in OT, 18-15.

Week 5 is current;  VALUE and Champs Pick of the Week need picks still...  good luck!

Week 5... and our defending champ is flat out of luck.

EagleJelly exited as Big Ben the Jaguars defeated the Steelers 30-9.   Also taking a strike on that were Swamps and Picking from a Hat.
Value and Blue were successful, going with the Eagles who defeated the Cardinals, 34-7.
Champs Pick of the Week bet that the Giants would go 0-5; and they did... as they lost to the Chargers 27-22... while also losing OBJ and Marshall for the season along with two other wide receivers.
Aylbert is crazy, and went with the Vikings who squeaked by 20-17 with a late field goal.

So after week 5...  Value is perfect.  The rest have taken a strike already.

Also... I found footage of Big Ben walking in to save the Steelers from those Jaguars...
Go get em, Big Ben!  on to week 6.

Week 6... ouch.

So let's see...  Champs Pick of the Week takes a whiff with a non-pick and goes out with their second strike (Week 4-Dallas)...  but they're not alone.
Denver stinking it up against the NYG, 23-10 gives Value their first strike... and knocks out Aylbert (week 3- Miami) and Swamps (week 5- Pittsburgh).
Big Blue and Picking from a Hat went with Houston who beat up Cleveland, 33-17.

We're down to three, but no one is perfect.
Big Blue (first strike: week 4 Atlanta)
Picking Teams from a Hat (first strike: week 5 Pittsburgh)
Value Picks (first strike: week 6 Denver)

• 2 weeks later...

Week 7...  after a few weeks of excitement, we settle down a bit while adding variety.

Big Blue went with Cowboys, as Zeke went off and defeated the 49ers, 40-10.
VALUE Picks went with the Vikings, who beat the Ravens 24-16.
Picking from a Hat went with the Titans and barely survived as they needed OT to defeat the Browns, 12-9

On to week 8; 2 picks are already in; VALUE still needs to get a pick in.

Week 8... much like week 7.

Big Blue went with the Vikings, who beat the Browns 33-16
Picking from a Hat went with the Eagles, who defeated the 49ers  33-10
And this time it was VALUE Picks who barely survived as the Bengals scraped by the Colts 24-23

On to week 9

• 2 weeks later...

Week 12... Well isn't that nice?

Week 12 we saw the Giants upset the Chiefs 12-9 in overtime...  which really upset Big Blue and Picking teams from a hat... they're out.
I didn't say Value in that group; so maybe he emerged victorio....  Nope; he's a no show.

So Week 12 knocked everyone out.     Yahoo doesn't have tie breakers; so coming in 1st is that trio.

....and as commish; I'll just break ties the fairest way possible.
Whoever survived the longest without taking their strike.

1. VALUE (Weeks 6/11)
2. Picking teams From a Hat (Weeks 5/11)
3. Big Blue (Weeks 4/11)
4. New Jersey Swamps (Weeks 5/6) 
5. The Champs Pick-o-the-week (Weeks 4/6)
6. Aylbert (Weeks 3/6)
7. Eaglejelly (Weeks 2/5)
8. Goodell's Advanced Gestapoism! (Weeks 3/4)
9. Jarek's Phenomenal Set (Weeks 2/3)

But if Picking from a hat and Big Blue want bragging points; they can just point to their Yahoo 1st place trophy as my meandering words don't amount to much :)