2017 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

I am SO ready.

After letting work and other stuff get in the way of actually getting out to games for many years, my daughter has become really interested, and we made it to 5 games last season. Typically the tickets were purchased within a day or two of the game. 

This year, I've already got tickets to two games, one being  a gift from a company I referred some work to, who informed me that the tickets were too inexpensive and they'll be sending us to a second game.

Even when the team is bad, throwing on the jersey and spending a couple hours having something in common with your ten year old (it's not the only thing, we're extremely similar and relate on many levels) is very, very good. I'm happy to be going into another season and hanging out with her some more.

Let's Go Devils!

• Like 5

Looking forward for at least the preseason starting.  Usually the strong itch to watch Devils hockey hits me around August and this year it was no different.

I am already going to the preseason game at Barclays on the 25th.  Got tickets 5-6 rows from the ice for about $16 each.  Trying to get tickets to the 9/23 game for the lower level but waiting for the price to drop.

8 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

What chanel will the Monday game be on, optimum nnj.  Just my luck I'm out of town all next week. So I need to dvr them

I hate when the rags play the isles during g our games 

According to the Devils Insiders Twitter @DevilsInsiders 

9/20 @ NYR - MSG+ & MSG

9/23 vs. NYR - MSG & MSG+2

9/25 (ss) vs. NYI - MSG+

9/27 @ WSH - MSG+

ETA: 

9/18 vs. WSH and 9/21 @ MTL will be available on http://NHL.tv  if you live outside those areas.

9/25 @ OTT is on NHL Network.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Steve Santini changed his number to 16.  Complete list of numbers is in this article but a few of interest: 

Jimmy Hayes  10

Brian Boyle  11

Drew Stafford  18 

Tim Erixon  20 

Mirco Mueller  25

Marcus Johansson  90

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/2017-18-devils-training-camp-roster/c-291042096

First Lovejoy and now Santini with forward numbers...a little strange

https://mobile.twitter.com/AGrossRecord/status/908088492277817349?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D135748579%23post135748579

#NJDevils say they are not releasing their camp schedule in advance. Will be revealed on a day-to-day basis. #Seriously
Edited by MadDog2020

Now about those Adidas jerseys...

Yeah, Santini's 16 is kind of weird...kind of like when NFL wide receivers wear QB numbers instead of 80-89.  Never liked that for some reason...though to me, a forward wearing a lower number (like Lecavalier's #4) seems less out of place...don't know why.

Ready for the Devils to start playing...without the playoffs these offseasons are feeling longer and longer. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, mfitz804 said:

I am SO ready.

After letting work and other stuff get in the way of actually getting out to games for many years, my daughter has become really interested, and we made it to 5 games last season. Typically the tickets were purchased within a day or two of the game. 

This year, I've already got tickets to two games, one being  a gift from a company I referred some work to, who informed me that the tickets were too inexpensive and they'll be sending us to a second game.

Even when the team is bad, throwing on the jersey and spending a couple hours having something in common with your ten year old (it's not the only thing, we're extremely similar and relate on many levels) is very, very good. I'm happy to be going into another season and hanging out with her some more.

Let's Go Devils!

Mine turned nine in August.  I think this is the last season we'll get out of her current jersey (it was an older red Starter off ebay...was in pristine condition).  Thinking the next one might have to be personalized, if there's a player she starts gravitating to. 

She's known nothing but largely crappy Devils hockey since she's been watching with me...she was only 3 when the Devils went on the SCF run in 2012 and doesn't remember any of it.  I really want to see that start turning around this season...doesn't have to result in a playoff appearance, just clear steps that better days are not so far away. 

• Like 1

Anyone know much about this Tim Erixon character the devs brought in on PTO?  All I can gather is that he is 26, has never played more than 31 games in an NHL season (has a few seasons with 10-20 games), has played for NYR, CLB, TOR, and CHI (likely as a 7th), and is Swedish.  Here is what Eliteprospects says:

A very smart defenseman that plays a solid two-way game. Erixon is not very spectacular, but plays an effective and rather simple game. He does not throw his body around, but can be aggressive and has active stickwork. Hockey sense is very good and so is his offensive positioning. Not a pure offensive force, but has enough skills to put up points and quarterback the powerplay if needed. Furthermore, he has good size and mobility and handles the puck well. 

I don't know what his odds are of making the team since NJ wasn't willing to go out and sign Cody Franson at the cost of nothing, but maybe they envision Erixon as a guy who can rotate in here or there to relieve Moore or Lovejoy.  Or simple insurance in case Mueller doesn't have sea legs.

2 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Anyone know much about this Tim Erixon character the devs brought in on PTO?  All I can gather is that he is 26, has never played more than 31 games in an NHL season (has a few seasons with 10-20 games), has played for NYR, CLB, TOR, and CHI (likely as a 7th), and is Swedish.  Here is what Eliteprospects says:

A very smart defenseman that plays a solid two-way game. Erixon is not very spectacular, but plays an effective and rather simple game. He does not throw his body around, but can be aggressive and has active stickwork. Hockey sense is very good and so is his offensive positioning. Not a pure offensive force, but has enough skills to put up points and quarterback the powerplay if needed. Furthermore, he has good size and mobility and handles the puck well. 

I don't know what his odds are of making the team since NJ wasn't willing to go out and sign Cody Franson at the cost of nothing, but maybe they envision Erixon as a guy who can rotate in here or there to relieve Moore or Lovejoy.  Or simple insurance in case Mueller doesn't have sea legs.

Shero did go out and sign Will Butcher (when many thought that couldn't possibly happen) and trade for Mueller...he also locked up Severson long term (as we all know)...maybe it's just a case of he wasn't interested in Franson (who is still looking for a team BTW). 

4 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

When Erixon went to the Rangers, their fan base and tv commentators treated him like the next coming of Paul Coffey so I'll just assume he's amazing because they never go overboard with expectations of new players

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Erixon was never good in the NHL and hasn't been an NHL regular in a long time.  Frankly I have no idea why they brought him in.  He's not a right-handed shot.

Franson is in Chicago's camp on a PTO.  After getting Butcher, I don't see a point to having an interest in Franson.  It's not like he is a player who will be of any value at the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Erixon was never good in the NHL and hasn't been an NHL regular in a long time.  Frankly I have no idea why they brought him in.  He's not a right-handed shot.

He has played the last 2 years in the AHL so I dont think he is going for an NHL job I think he is going for an AHL job

7 hours ago, Triumph said:

Franson is in Chicago's camp on a PTO.  After getting Butcher, I don't see a point to having an interest in Franson.  It's not like he is a player who will be of any value at the trade deadline.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Franson (per 82 games) over his career averages 31.8 points per season.  He's just about even when it comes to career +- (not that most care about this stat in today's world), and the advanced stat nerds seem to think he's a positive possession guy.  Even if Butcher develops into something similar, Franson is already this right now.  Right-handed D.  On a 1 year deal, it seems like a bold conclusion to me that he'd have no value at the trade deadline.  That's an assumption based on the fact he couldn't find a job easily, but trade deadline teams couldn't care less about the prior summer.  All they care about is adding a helpful piece of the guy has played well.  I still think Franson is a better player than Lovejoy or Moore overall and would deploy him 1000 out of 1000 times over those guys.  Of course if NJ didn't want him, that's why they didn't sign him.  But the motivation for not signing him, I doubt, was unproven prospect Will Butcher.  It was more likely (my guess_ that Shero has allegiance to Lovejoy and knew that bringing in a proven NHL-level defenseman would absolutely mean Lovejoy (or Moore) would be sitting regularly.  And that, for me, is a poor reason to not go out and sign a guy (Franson) who would have improved the defense.  That's the point of why they should have had more interest in Franson.  But hey, who knows.  If they truly want to get the young guys big minutes, and fully expect it to be another difficult year, I can see not pursuing a Franson if they didn't think it'd be worth a 3rd or 4th round deadline pick.  

As per Erixon, seems like a reclamation project, throwing sh** to see if anything sticks.  But what others have said is probably true.  Guy probably slots in better in the AHL.

1 hour ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but Franson (per 82 games) over his career averages 31.8 points per season.  He's just about even when it comes to career +- (not that most care about this stat in today's world), and the advanced stat nerds seem to think he's a positive possession guy.  Even if Butcher develops into something similar, Franson is already this right now.  Right-handed D.  On a 1 year deal, it seems like a bold conclusion to me that he'd have no value at the trade deadline.  That's an assumption based on the fact he couldn't find a job easily, but trade deadline teams couldn't care less about the prior summer.  All they care about is adding a helpful piece of the guy has played well.  I still think Franson is a better player than Lovejoy or Moore overall and would deploy him 1000 out of 1000 times over those guys.  Of course if NJ didn't want him, that's why they didn't sign him.  But the motivation for not signing him, I doubt, was unproven prospect Will Butcher.  It was more likely (my guess_ that Shero has allegiance to Lovejoy and knew that bringing in a proven NHL-level defenseman would absolutely mean Lovejoy (or Moore) would be sitting regularly.  And that, for me, is a poor reason to not go out and sign a guy (Franson) who would have improved the defense.  That's the point of why they should have had more interest in Franson.  But hey, who knows.  If they truly want to get the young guys big minutes, and fully expect it to be another difficult year, I can see not pursuing a Franson if they didn't think it'd be worth a 3rd or 4th round deadline pick.  

As per Erixon, seems like a reclamation project, throwing sh** to see if anything sticks.  But what others have said is probably true.  Guy probably slots in better in the AHL.

I know all about Franson's numbers, but Franson has just never been a guy that NHL teams value.  Nashville is a team that once did, perhaps - they traded a lot to get him at the deadline in 2015 - but then he played 3rd pairing minutes and I think was a healthy scratch in some playoff games as well.  Teams don't care about the summer, but they do care about the career.  He didn't move at the deadline last year.  He's 30 now, he's never been the fastest guy, and he played 3rd pairing minutes on a bad team the last two years.

And who says Franson wants to go into a spot where he knows he's gonna be traded in February if things go the way they're supposed to?  He's played for a garbage team for two years.  If he gets stuck on a team like NJ that's going to do zero to help out his numbers and already has a bunch of guys signed that they clearly like using, that could be it for him if he gets on the wrong side of the coach.

I don't like Lovejoy or Moore either, but I don't see any point to signing Franson.  The Devils have 4 RHD and Butcher besides.  They should be giving their 3rd pairing minutes to inexperienced defensemen to see if they can maybe play in this league.  

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

I know all about Franson's numbers, but Franson has just never been a guy that NHL teams value.  Nashville is a team that once did, perhaps - they traded a lot to get him at the deadline in 2015 - but then he played 3rd pairing minutes and I think was a healthy scratch in some playoff games as well.  Teams don't care about the summer, but they do care about the career.  He didn't move at the deadline last year.  He's 30 now, he's never been the fastest guy, and he played 3rd pairing minutes on a bad team the last two years.

And who says Franson wants to go into a spot where he knows he's gonna be traded in February if things go the way they're supposed to?  He's played for a garbage team for two years.  If he gets stuck on a team like NJ that's going to do zero to help out his numbers and already has a bunch of guys signed that they clearly like using, that could be it for him if he gets on the wrong side of the coach.

I don't like Lovejoy or Moore either, but I don't see any point to signing Franson.  The Devils have 4 RHD and Butcher besides.  They should be giving their 3rd pairing minutes to inexperienced defensemen to see if they can maybe play in this league.  

I can understand that perspective.  If you view Franson as nothing more than a 3rd pairing D, absolutely, agree with you with your conclusions.  And it is quite possible that he wouldn't have wanted to come to a bad team and be in a situation where they were trying to flip him.  All plausible.  The difference of opinion is that even though I've never been a fan of Cody Franson through his career, I do think on this Devils club, he could play at 3-4 and be of use.  However, he's not a difference maker between a bad club and a good club.  He's more a complimentary piece on an already good team.  So by this logic, I can again see why NJ would prefer to give the minutes to their kids.  All this said, if you're trying to ice the "best team" this year, I think Franson should have been offered something (if he wasn't).  That's all.  At any rate, definitely excited to see what the youth can bring.  Hopefully both Mueller and Butcher look good out there.  Mueller has a surprisingly good shot in EA's NHL 16-17. :)