2017 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

excited to see the new score board Saturday, hopefully the team is equally exciting to watch. Im ready to be excited about devils hockey again hopefully the pre season wasn't a total fluke of guys just trying to earn jobs and we turn the corner this season.

• Like 1

That's why I feel he's getting sent back.   I don't think they'll want to continuously scratch him

Yeah McLeod should be sent back- he hasn't really shown enough IMO. Plus he may get an opportunity to join Team Canada for the Olympics, which would be great for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah McLeod should be sent back- he hasn't really shown enough IMO. Plus he may get an opportunity to join Team Canada for the Olympics, which would be great for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's OK, kid is still only 19 and won't turn 20 until 2/3/2018.  This definitely wasn't a make-or-break year for him, as far as becoming a Devils regular went. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

WTF, if it falls, theyre all dead... fans too   good thing the anti-gravity machine is working well

Pretty sure any jumbo tron would kill players under it if it fell.  Back in the 90s it was a big concern for the isles at nvmc,  so much so that they had to re-secure it.  

Final Roster Moves: Blandisi, Quenneville, Lappin, Strait to AHL; Zajac, Boyle, McLeod to IR

Goaltenders (2):

Keith Kinkaid, Cory Schneider

Defensemen (8):

Will Butcher, Andy Greene, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Mirco Mueller, Dalton Prout, Steven Santini, Damon Severson

Forwards (13):

Jesper Bratt, Blake Coleman, Brian Gibbons, Taylor Hall, Jimmy Hayes, Adam Henrique, Nico Hischier, Marcus Johansson, Stefan Noesen, Kyle Palmieri, Drew Stafford, Miles Wood, Pavel Zacha

I have a feeling Gibbons is just here until Boyle can play considering they already waived him, that way they're not sitting someone like Blender or Q at the start of the year and Gibbons can just go straight down when Boyle is ready.

Edited by CommonDreads

7 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Final Roster Moves: Blandisi, Quenneville, Lappin, Strait to AHL; Zajac, Boyle, McLeod to IR

Goaltenders (2):

Keith Kinkaid, Cory Schneider

Defensemen (8):

Will Butcher, Andy Greene, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Mirco Mueller, Dalton Prout, Steven Santini, Damon Severson

Forwards (13):

Jesper Bratt, Blake Coleman, Brian Gibbons, Taylor Hall, Jimmy Hayes, Adam Henrique, Nico Hischier, Marcus Johansson, Stefan Noesen, Kyle Palmieri, Drew Stafford, Miles Wood, Pavel Zacha

I have a feeling Gibbons is just here until Boyle can play considering they already waived him, that way they're not sitting someone like Blender or Q at the start of the year and Gibbons can just go straight down when Boyle is ready.

That makes sense I suppose but he's a winger. Maybe They'll do some sort of double swap when Boyle can play like Gibbons and Coleman sent down for Blandisi and Boyle. Maybe they feel Gibbons and Coleman have chemistry or something.

Just now, Steven M. said:

That makes sense I suppose but he's a winger. Maybe They'll do some sort of double swap when Boyle can play like Gibbons and Coleman sent down for Blandisi and Boyle. Maybe they feel Gibbons and Coleman have chemistry or something.

I see him mostly as a warm body for the time being, think he'll be in the stands on Opening Night as these will probably be the forward lines on Saturday

Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
Johansson - Hischier - Stafford
Bratt - Henrique - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - Noesen

Just now, CommonDreads said:

I see him mostly as a warm body for the time being, think he'll be in the stands on Opening Night as these will probably be the forward lines on Saturday

Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
Bratt - Henrique - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - Noesen

Okay yeah, I just read another post on reddit and realized how stupid mine was. That's exactly what it is, he's the 13th forward who will be chilling in the suite and when Boyle can go Coleman will replace him in the stands. They want Blandisi and Q to get playing time.

I like those lines, even more so when Boyle is back.

• Like 2

On the flip side with Blender and Q going down for now, Binghamton is going to have a pretty talented squad to start the year.

Quenneville, Blandisi, Bastian, Speers, Gignac, Lappin, Rooney, Kujawinski, Kearns, Thomson, Baddock, Cangelosi, and Mandat will make up the forward for Bing, pretty solid for an AHL lineup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
Bratt - Henrique - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - Noesen

This is the first time in a long time all four lines excite me. I don't see Bratt playing beyond the 9 games, either Blandisi or Quenneville will take over his spot when he gets sent back

2 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

Pretty sure any jumbo tron would kill players under it if it fell.  Back in the 90s it was a big concern for the isles at nvmc,  so much so that they had to re-secure it.  

It happened in Buffalo at the then-brand-new Marine Midland Arena [now KeyBank Center or whatever they call it], Their Jumbotron fell on the ice either just before or after Sabres practiced on it.

I thought it could have gone either way with Quenneville, but I fully expected Blandisi to make the cut. I thought he played better than a few of those guys. Bratt will start the season in NJ, but if he gets sent down after 9, I imagine Blandisi is the first to get called up. Otherwise, sending Blandisi down could just be a move on paper, though I'm not sure why they would do this. Blandisi could technically still be in Saturday's lineup if he gets recalled. 

With Butcher making it, could that possibly mean that Lovejoy isn't a regular anymore? There will have to be 2 scratches each night if they aren't going with 7 D. You can make an argument for each one of those 8, including Prout, over Lovejoy for a roster spot.

Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
Bratt - Henrique - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - Noesen
Gibbons

Greene - Severson
Mueller - Lovejoy
Moore - Butcher
Prout, Santini

I absolutely cannot stand that Santini is sitting in favor of Lovejoy, I'd say I hope the coaching staff wises up and designates Lovejoy to a 7th defenseman in a month, but it seems like coaching and management has a blind loyalty to him. He'll play top 4 all year, unfortunately.

I think this is a bit of "last chance to be a regular" with Lovejoy...the fact that he's due $2.75 million over the next two seasons (cap hit $2,666,666) means he's going to get a shot to keep his job out of the gate.  But based on how he looked in preseason, I'm guessing his leash is pretty short.  I thought he'd get at least 20 games to establish himself, but it might be 10 or less now...but when guys inevitably get hurt, or if someone slumps badly enough, he'll get more looks. 

PP lines are curious - no Severson must mean they are going to lean on him at ES, I hope, because they're going to need him there.  I don't know where this leaves Moore, either.

Things don't really improve for the team until one of Moore or Lovejoy is bounced from the starting six.