Brian Boyle Diagnosed with Cancer

mikepeluso8

I can't even imagine what that's like - going in for your "routine" physical and the Docs finding out you have Leukemia.  He's only 32 and has 2 kids under 3 and is in great shape... just not something you'd think could happen. 

He's not even letting himself off the hook - he told the media that when he has a bad game that it's him and not the disease and to treat it as such.  

He seems to be in good spirits and that can be a big part of the healing process.

My thoughts are with him and his family. Godspeed Boyler. Hope to see you out there ASAP. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I can't even imagine what that's like - going in for your "routine" physical and the Docs finding out you have Leukemia.  He's only 32 and has 2 kids under 3 and is in great shape... just not something you'd think could happen. 

He's not even letting himself off the hook - he told the media that when he has a bad game that it's him and not the disease and to treat it as such.  

He seems to be in good spirits and that can be a big part of the healing process.

My thoughts are with him and his family. Godspeed Boyler. Hope to see you out there ASAP. 

Oh, those "routine" physicals that leave you saying "huh what?!" when you get the results.  Like my dad finding out he had prostate cancer (he's almost done with his treatments...looks like he's going to be OK, but it's been tough for him).  Like when I went in for a checkup in July of 2016 and found out I was a Type 2 diabetic. 

Years ago when I was in engineering classes (this was 1995-96), a guy who used to show up wearing a Flyers cap almost every day suddenly stopped coming to class, about seven weeks into the semester...I didn't know him all that well, but used to BS with him about hockey a little bit.  Turned out that he was diagnosed with leukemia and died less than a week later...apparently he never saw it coming, according to his friends.  That's always freaked me out...he couldn't have been more than 30 years old, absolute tops. 

Really hope Boyle gets through this...so many more important things in life than sports, though it's easy to forget that sometimes...best of luck in your recovery Brian! 

• Like 2

Very treatable I believe. 

My father has a similar disease Polycythemia Vera in which his marrow makes excess red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets and he was being treated with medicine and the occasional phlebotomy. He was fighting forest fires during all of this as well, so I think theres a fairly good chance Boyle will not only recover, but also play a decent amount.

Thoughts are with Boyle and his family.

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 1

Just now, moustic said:

(and best of luck for your dad CR1976) 

Thank you.  He had to complete 90 days of hormone therapy before the next steps could be taken (due to his prostate being enlarged)...side effects are loss of muscle mass and fatigue (he had to deal with both).  He has three radiation treatments left, then we'll see how he's doing (fortunately he has friends who've dealt with this and have made full recoveries).  His last radiation treatment is on Monday...he couldn't be happier about almost being done with this. 

• Like 2

Thank you.  He had to complete 90 days of hormone therapy before the next steps could be taken (due to his prostate being enlarged)...side effects are loss of muscle mass and fatigue (he had to deal with both).  He has three radiation treatments left, then we'll see how he's doing (fortunately he has friends who've dealt with this and have made full recoveries).  His last radiation treatment is on Monday...he couldn't be happier about almost being done with this. 

All the best to your dad CR. [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hoping for the best!!

• Like 1