2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

Goaltending is just curse for the Flyers.  There's no other way to explain it.  Their best goalie since 2000 has to have been Brian Boucher, correct?

Roman Cechmanek (spelling?) or the minute Bryzgalov was decent for them. 

9 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I'd say Bobrovsky... they got him for nothing (undrafted) & he was playing well for them... and then they signed Bryz and shuttled him. Can you imagine if they hadn't?

Yea, Bobrovsky would be a below mediocre netminder, probably long back in Europe right now. 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, Daniel said:

Goaltending is just curse for the Flyers.  There's no other way to explain it.  Their best goalie since 2000 has to have been Brian Boucher, correct?

They've had a ton of different stop gap guys, it's pretty crazy how fluid that position has been in the last 20 years for them. Off the top of my head over the years they've had Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Antero Nittymaki, and then the more recent guys like Boucher, Bobrovsky (thank god he's gone), Bryz, Mason, Neuvirth, Emery, Leighton, etc.., now Elliott.

You'd think they learn and just commit to someone GOOD, instead of throwing two years to mediocre guys.

6 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

They've had a ton of different stop gap guys, it's pretty crazy how fluid that position has been in the last 20 years for them. Off the top of my head over the years they've had Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Antero Nittymaki, and then the more recent guys like Boucher, Bobrovsky (thank god he's gone), Bryz, Mason, Neuvirth, Emery, Leighton, etc.., now Elliott.

You'd think they learn and just commit to someone GOOD, instead of throwing two years to mediocre guys.

Reminds me of the Browns situation at QB since their return to Cleveland. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, CommonDreads said:

Some of those guys did show flashes of being a reliable #1, but yeah, no one was able to do it consistently for long enough...yet another reason to be thankful we had a guy like Brodeur, whose peak ran into his late 30s (with almost no time missed to injury). 

Pretty lucky to have Schneider too...glad it looks like the Devils will be a better team while he has some prime years left.  Kind of wish he wasn't already 31, but at least he hasn't played a ton of games for someone his age. 

To compare, Schneider has appeared in 333 regular season games and started 316 of them by his age 31 season.  By about the same time in Brodeur's career (3 games into his age 31 season season), Brodeur had appeared in 665 games and started 655 of them...not to mention Marty had multiple deep playoff runs by then.  Much less wear-and-tear on Schneider. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Matthews scored for TOR in OT to beat MTL. The kid is unstoppable.

The dude is for real.

I thought in his draft year that he'd be a significant drop off from McDavid but.. fvck we may have two young franchise players on our hands here.

Rangers score three straight to take a 3-2 lead over the Pens.  Pens coach looks mighty pissed.

There are a ton of Sabres fans in Vegas already. I thought they were wearing white at home for a split second seeing the reaction to their goal. Buffalo is a hockey mad city, but a small market on the other side of the country. We don't get nearly as many Sabres fans in Jersey. 

26 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

If you haven't done so, I suggest you watch the tying goal and the game winner for the Pens tonight. I burst out laughing on both goals at the Rangers' expense.

Thanks for the recommendation, that was fantastic. What should I watch next on Netflix? 

Justin Faulk should face supplemental discipline for sticking his leg out on RNH. The oil were getting run on home ice by Carolina, they've cut the lead to one.

I know the Canes have a solid amount of young talent, but they seem stuck in neutral as an organization. Doesn't help still seeing Cam Ward between the pipes. I guess he's younger than he seems to be, he was a rookie when he took the Canes to the Cup. 

Jimmy Vesey now with 7 goals and 8 assists in his last 70 GP (regular season and playoffs).  Ouch.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Absolutely hilarious. Crosby made Shattenkirk look like a moron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBF Crosby makes a lot of defenders look like morons, but just a brutal play by Shattenkirk and even worse performance by the "king" 

• Like 1

Even better about the Rangers stumbling out of the gate is that their early schedule is extremely favorable to them:  24 of their first 37 GP are at home.  Obviously they're not far into this stretch and can still recover, but not an ideal spot to dig yourself into any kind of hole.  The evening-out period will be a bear for them from 12/29 on:  they'll get just 17 home games out of their 45 remaining games to end their season, and no prolonged homestands. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

My heart completely sank when I read the beginning of this. Quickly thought you were saying he had 7 goals and 8 assists this season and was about to be salty.

heh heh, he really hasn't done sh!t for a while now.  I already posted this, but he had 6 goals and 3 assists through his first 10 NHL games.  Was still doing well for a rookie when he put up 10 goals and 7 assists through 29 GP...sure, a 20.8 shooting% in those 29 games suggested some kind of dropoff coming, but no way the Rangers brought him in thinking he would ever disappear offensively as completely as he has.   

There are some mild reasons for optimism, as far the Rangers are concerned...his SOG are up to 2.00 per game...he was well below that once his numbers dropped off so dramatically.  But I think don't think the Rangers signed him thinking that he wouldn't be able to contribute right away. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

With this Athanasiou situation dragging on, I'd love to see Shero make a move on him. I'm not a big build through the trade proponent generally, but with Shero's pedigree bringing such huge value back from these deals, I'd say go for it. Detroit is up against the cap, either Athanasiou goes or someone else does. This one's not as simple as a disagreement over a player's value. 

• Like 1