Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thecoffeecake

Best and worst moments in the first decade at the Rock

Recommended Posts

Mentioned already, but Brodeur coming back from injury against Colorado (with a shutout if I remember right) was great. What an atmosphere. 

I'd also add the first retro night. It was a of fun and very new. They beat Pittsburgh up too which was nice. 

As for bad, losing to Philly in 2010 in the first round and getting eliminated with a 3-0 loss. The team showed up to lose. No fire, no effort. It was probably the most disgusted I've ever felt with them. I left after the second period which i never do. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Mentioned already, but Brodeur coming back from injury against Colorado (with a shutout if I remember right) was great. What an atmosphere. 

I'd also add the first retro night. It was a of fun and very new. They beat Pittsburgh up too which was nice. 

As for bad, losing to Philly in 2010 in the first round and getting eliminated with a 3-0 loss. The team showed up to lose. No fire, no effort. It was probably the most disgusted I've ever felt with them. I left after the second period which i never do. 

 

 

Ugh, I remember at the time feeling like those guys were just sick of Devils hockey, sick of constantly being in these tight games with what felt like such minimal margin for error...and even a little sick of each other.  I remember being aggravated as hell because that series went exactly like I thought it was going to...the two-steps-slower-every-pass-bounces-off-our-sticks Devils were very much alive and well for most of those games.

That's what made 2012 such a pleasant surprise...especially since I saw shades of that 2010 Devils team in Game One of the 2012 series.  I never expected that team to then knock off the Flyers in five.  That was a such a great and surprising thrill. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only skimmed through, see everyone mentioning the obvious #1 being GM 6 versus the Rags in the ECF, but I'd like to throw GM5 versus the Kings in there. It's the only SCF win inside the Rock, and made us one of the first teams in a long time to push a 3-0 deficit to 3-2. I really thought we'd have a chance at stealing that series after winning those two in a row.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Some of the best moments at the Rock came in the year J-Mac led the team to a league worst start and then Lemaire came in and led us on an unbelievable run. Anssi Salmela, Tedenby, and no-name all had huge OT goals during that Spring 2011 run.

This was what I was gonna mention- not really a specific moment, but I remember going to two games during that run and it was just unbelievable- Feb 2011 was probably be the best month of hockey the franchise has ever had, unfortunately they just had too much of a hole to dig out of after Maclean, but boy the last 3 months of that season were exciting.

But yeah obviously the 2012 run will stack the "best moments" category.

The thing about the Rock is that it's ours, i loved Brendan Byrne and obviously so many memories were made there, it's where I became a fan... but I can really appreciate having a building that's truly the Devils'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Mentioned already, but Brodeur coming back from injury against Colorado (with a shutout if I remember right) was great. What an atmosphere. 

I'd also add the first retro night. It was a of fun and very new. They beat Pittsburgh up too which was nice. 

As for bad, losing to Philly in 2010 in the first round and getting eliminated with a 3-0 loss. The team showed up to lose. No fire, no effort. It was probably the most disgusted I've ever felt with them. I left after the second period which i never do. 

 

 

That was it, the total lack of effort. You knew from puck drop how that game was ending. The Flyers fans celebrating is a horrible memory for me. 

What year was the first retro night? I couldn't dig it up on YouTube when I was looking for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

That was it, the total lack of effort. You knew from puck drop how that game was ending. The Flyers fans celebrating is a horrible memory for me. 

What year was the first retro night? I couldn't dig it up on YouTube when I was looking for it. 

I want to say it was the 2009-2010 season that ended with the Flyers series loss. It was on (or near) St Patrick’s day, if I remember correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devils beating Tampa in the shootout early in the year in 2017. The Devils were showing their first signs of life in years, and came from behind to beat Tampa, who were a top team in the league at the time. Hischier set up a late power play goal to tie the game, and the Devils killed off penalties at the end of regulation and overtime before Palmieri got the winner in the shootout.  The Devils improved to 5-1-0, better than anyone's wildest expectations going into that season. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 5 games seen live at the Rock

5) 1-0 game 5 of the ECQ 2009. An incredible 44 save shut out by Brodeur and Ward himself had 41 saves. Best goalie duel I ever saw live.

4) Nov 30th 2007 4-0 win over MTL. First hat trick by Zach whosits.

3) Dec 12th 2008 8-5 over the Rags. Up 5-1 lost the lead in the third but 30 seconds later they take it back. Brodeur hurt, couldn't beat the Rags for the life of us it was just sweet putting up an 8 spot on Lundqvist. Also 3 goals on 4 shots in that last period.

2) Feb 5th, 2010 4-3 comeback win against the Leafs. First game of Kovalsomething. Just fun and the last goal being from Pandolfo off a fat rebound of a Mike Mottau shot was the cherry on top

1) Brodeur and Elias break records. 'Nuff said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You bringing up a game against Montreal makes me think of a crazy game I saw there, vs the Canadiens...I think the Devils spent what seemed like the whole first period on the power play...I could've sworn that they were given a seven-minute power play (I think the Montreal player was given a standard penalty AND a fighting major, while the Devils received nothing), then Montreal committed a couple more penalties during the seven minutes...think the Devils won that one 4-1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 3:41 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

5) Didn't the Devils put up an 8-spot on Lundqvist at the Rock one night?  In a regular season game?

That was during the Clemmensen run.  That game was a frigging roller coaster too, we had a 5-1 lead then wasted it, and before I was even finished with my rant after the Rangers tied it at 5 we scored to go back into the lead and won 8-5.  I think Renney was actually waving him off the ice at 5-1 but Lundqvist would have none of it and stayed out there lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 3:22 PM, Bonginator11 said:

Best - “They score! Henrique! It’s over!”

Worst - Loss to Carolina in Game 7 in 08-09 season

This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.  There were other good and bad moments to varying degrees but you can't really argue on those two being THE best and worst so far.  And yeah the Ranger loss the year before that was a royal troll but everyone knew we were in for it after not winning once in regulation against the Averys that year in thirteen games, it was just a matter of whether we'd die at home or the Garden.  They actually did go out on their shield in Game 5 at least after Marty blew up the first period.  But the Carolina game was so hideous it was a 'stunned you can't even speak after the game or go to sleep that night' type hurt.

Although I'll say this, the stupid home finale at the end of the Lou tenure with 12000 Ranger fans booing the Devils off the ice after they clownpounded us to win the President's Cup was rock bottom for the franchise as a whole, at least in the last three decades.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best was a personal moment. 1-0 OT winner by Zajac against Buffalo, my daughter’s first game. She and my wife went to the restroom and they made it back in, but the usher wouldn’t let them to the seats.

Zajac wins it, my daughter runs down the stairs, goes into the row above me, and leaps over the chairs into my arms to celebrate.

Another crazy Devils fan was born that night. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.  There were other good and bad moments to varying degrees but you can't really argue on those two being THE best and worst so far.  And yeah the Ranger loss the year before that was a royal troll but everyone knew we were in for it after not winning once in regulation against the Averys that year in thirteen games, it was just a matter of whether we'd die at home or the Garden.  They actually did go out on their shield in Game 5 at least after Marty blew up the first period.  But the Carolina game was so hideous it was a 'stunned you can't even speak after the game or go to sleep that night' type hurt.

Although I'll say this, the stupid home finale at the end of the Lou tenure with 12000 Ranger fans booing the Devils off the ice after they clownpounded us to win the President's Cup was rock bottom for the franchise as a whole, at least in the last three decades.

I agree with these

Marty 552 night is 1A for best

 

I would say 1A for disaster moments to me would be Game 2 of the 2012 SCF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 3:22 PM, Bonginator11 said:

Best - “They score! Henrique! It’s over!”

Worst - Loss to Carolina in Game 7 in 08-09 season

I was at both.  

Elation

Devastation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a great 11-12 season regular season moment vs. the Rags. Foreshadowed what was to come in the playoffs.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 3:22 PM, Bonginator11 said:

Best - “They score! Henrique! It’s over!”

Worst - Loss to Carolina in Game 7 in 08-09 season

I think you nailed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2017 at 5:08 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Can I add a category to the hilariously awful that doesn't really have anything to do with the Devils but the fact that the Xanadu / American dream mall project broke ground during the lockout of 04-05 and during that span of time we got an arena built and played it in for 10 years? Lmao.

HAHA that is great!

One game I'll probably never forget is a game against the Flyers in 2010 during a huge blizzard.  So few people made it to the game that at some point during the game, they allowed everyone sitting in the upper level to move downstairs.  I managed to get a seat right against the glass behind Brodeur.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also worth mentioning is the grassroots Supporters Section that Satans Hockey started on here.  I had a great time being part of that until the Devils usurped it and tried to make it their own thing and predictably ruined it by making it season tickets only.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another kind of "low" was the whole Diablos thing.  That was just embarrassing...some corporate dweebs' idea of "Wow, aren't we just so cool and clever, look what we came up with!"  I've always felt like you can't try to manufacture something like that, and that's exactly how the whole Diablo thing felt.  And that annoying vuvuzela guy who was a part of it...bleech.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another odd game for me was the blackout against (ironically) the Lightning.  Went back a week later for a game that started in the 2nd period, there was maybe 400 people there tops for the re-schedule, so they let everyone move into the lower bowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Another kind of "low" was the whole Diablos thing.  That was just embarrassing...some corporate dweebs' idea of "Wow, aren't we just so cool and clever, look what we came up with!"  I've always felt like you can't try to manufacture something like that, and that's exactly how the whole Diablo thing felt.  And that annoying vuvuzela guy who was a part of it...bleech.  

Yep, that was exactly what I was referring to.  They saw Satans Hockey's Supporters Section catch on, and they thought they can make it an official thing, but forcing people to commit to season tickets just priced most people out and killed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×