GDT: Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

dmann422

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I’m not saying I’m not hopeful. I am. He looks good, and he may very well be a Calder candidate. But he’s not exactly dominating just yet. 

A lot of it, of course, has been bad luck. He could probably have 5 goals if he had some better puck luck. 

I'm my defense I did say this team "might" have 3 Calder candidates. ;)

Just now, thecoffeecake said:

Just to play Devils advocate (lol), that's a 55 assist pace. You can figure he'll pot at least ten. 65-70 points is definitely going to get him a Vegas invite. But you're right about Butch, he absolutely wins it today. But we're not even 10% into the season, this is meaningless. Any idiot could take 4 bounces off their skate end up as assists in 6 games. But, of course, that's not the case with Nico.

That’s my main point. It’s been 6 games, and we’re nominating Nico for awards and saying Hall sucks with virtually identical stats. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I'm my defense I did say this team "might" have 3 Calder candidates. ;)

We do have three rookies, so I guess we might!

Wasn't entirely directed at you, it’s been a theme across multiple threads that’s been annoying me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico has four assists.

Hall is clearly not garbage but it would be really nice if he started finishing a bit more often.  It's only six games this season, but it's not a new trend since he's been here.

If I recall last year it took Hall a bit of time to get going. Not worried.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

If I recall last year it took Hall a bit of time to get going. Not worried.

What I could say is, with all the goals we have scored, I’d have thought both Nico and Hall would have put up more points.

But at this point, 5-1, I don’t give a fvck!!

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

He’s had some golden opportunities that will eventually be buried. Obviously right now he’d lose to Bratt and Butcher, but what the literal fvck does that have to do with anything? As of right now the Devils are on pace to win 68 games. That’s why they play the season.

You obviously missed my point, which was exactly that. It’s been 6 games. That’s what the literal fvck I said!!

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I didn’t reply to your original post. I have no issue with your original post. “Four assists in six games is nice. You think he’ll be a Calder finalist?”

If you are going to pick a post out of context and not read the whole conversation, you’re not going to understand. 

If 4 assists in 6 games means you are a Calder candidate, is Hall an MVP candidate? Is Butcher possibly the next Bobby Orr? I know someone said Bratt reminds them of Gretzky, is there a possibility we retire #63 leaguewide based on what he did in 6 games?

This place was sh!tting on Hynes all last season, and one thing I want to say in his favor is that he is not a 'play the vets all the time' guy.  Who gets put out on the ice to close out the game Saturday?  Hischier.  Who plays on the PK in the final 2 minutes tonight?  Bratt.  Who led the team in ice time tonight?  Santini.  

Tonight wasn't perfect and there were a lot of issues in the defensive zone, but Tampa is a fantastic team and the Devils managed to drag 2 points out of the game.  Yeah, Tampa had their backup goalie in and yeah they played last night, but the Devils looked like they could compete with them.  Hischier had perhaps his best game so far - he was involved and making plays.  Bratt only played 11 minutes but they were noticeable minutes.  I thought Zacha had a better game tonight than he's had in the past 2.  Mueller had his best game so far, I thought - something to build on, anyway.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

This place was sh!tting on Hynes all last season, and one thing I want to say in his favor is that he is not a 'play the vets all the time' guy.  Who gets put out on the ice to close out the game Saturday?  Hischier.  Who plays on the PK in the final 2 minutes tonight?  Bratt.  Who led the team in ice time tonight?  Santini.  

Tonight wasn't perfect and there were a lot of issues in the defensive zone, but Tampa is a fantastic team and the Devils managed to drag 2 points out of the game.  Yeah, Tampa had their backup goalie in and yeah they played last night, but the Devils looked like they could compete with them.  Hischier had perhaps his best game so far - he was involved and making plays.  Bratt only played 11 minutes but they were noticeable minutes.  I thought Zacha had a better game tonight than he's had in the past 2.  Mueller had his best game so far, I thought - something to build on, anyway.

I'd been very critical of Hynes, but it's clear this team is well coached and responding to his message and system. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Hynes not reflexively dressing the vet on defense has been the most welcome development this season.

And speaking of a vet defenseman that we all thought got too much playing time towards the end, check out Salvador’s twitter feed.  

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico has four assists.

Hall is clearly not garbage but it would be really nice if he started finishing a bit more often.  It's only six games this season, but it's not a new trend since he's been here.

I'm in the "Hall is playing well camp" but I mean yeah, an 18 year old with 4 assists in six games is a tad more impressive to me than an all-star veteran with five points in six games.