Sign in to follow this  
dmann422

GDT: Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

I don't know how long it'll last, but seeing this franchise with a top-10 offense is pretty exciting.

They might out score last years team by the end of this week.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

His lack of finishing off chances has been covered up by the fact that there's been so much scoring by committee so far this season.  Some of these guys are not going to keep this up...the Devils are going to need him to start scoring more.  If this was an isolated 6-game sample to start the season, that would be one thing, but he's now racked up a very unimpressive 21 goals in 78 GP as a Devil, with an 8.1 S%.  I'm hopeful that he can start converting at a better rate, because the Devils are going to need that from him before much longer.  Obviously he can do more than score (he's a strong passer and that was on display last night), but I'd be a lot happier if he was closer to a 30 G/82 GP rate instead of low-20s/82 GP...especially with the number of looks that he gets.

Yeah glad to see Cory chuckling and smiling more than anything else.  That guy deserves to have some fun around here for a change. 

Throughout his career, Hall has never been the finisher on his line, not sure where this narrative among our fanbase came from that he should be. He's much better used as a set-up guy/playmaker because of his speed, elusiveness, and hands, he's not known for his shot in his game. I won't hesitate one bit to call it a successful season for him if he finishes with 20 goals again and 65-70 points, and quite frankly i'm not sure if it matters where his points come from because either way it's 65-70 goals the Devils scored as a direct result of him being apart of the play.

Edited by CommonDreads

Just now, CommonDreads said:

Throughout his career, Hall has never been the finisher on his line, not sure where this narrative among our fanbase came from that he should be. He's much better used as a set-up guy/playmaker because of his speed, elusiveness, and hands, he's not known for his shot in his game. I won't hesitate one bit to call it a successful season for him if he finishes with 20 goals and 65-70 points, and quite frankly i'm not sure if it matters where his points come from because either way it's 65-70 goals the Devils scored as a direct result of him being apart of the play.

In his first four seasons, Hall DID score at a 30.6 G/82 GP rate, on 11.5% shooting.  Is it so crazy to ask him to come within 85-90% of that?  I don't think it is.  He's done it before, he's hardly old, and he gets enough scoring opportunities that it seems like it's very possible. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In his first four seasons, Hall DID score at a 30.6 G/82 GP rate, on 11.5% shooting.  Is it so crazy to ask him to come within 85-90% of that?  I don't think it is.  He's done it before, he's hardly old, and he gets enough scoring opportunities that it seems like it's very possible. 

85% of that is like 26 goals for the 82 game season, I think that's reasonable to hope for. With the team scoring as much as they are, and with the extra talent that wasn't here last year, i suspect his numbers will improve significantly over last year. 

Even if he is just 1G, 4A through 6 games. It'll come. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I agree that he's capable of it, but I don't think he needs to do it to fill his role on this team. He's still the best player on this team and he easily creates more offensive than anyone on this roster, and I don't care if he pots 20 of his own and then dishes out 45 to the likes of Palmieri or Henrique (who I do see as the shooters on this team). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot from your best players, but I dislike the notion of him being crucified by our fanbase for not scoring goals when he's creating offense anyways.

Can't remember who asked what Cory said - he said "So hopefully we can turn it into a couple of National TV games!" 

At 1.20 (or a little before if you want more context): 

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall had much better linemates in those seasons.  He wasn't playing with Travis Zajac or Pavel Zacha.

He can't change the past.  He had a down year last year.  He's a great player though.  

Edited by Triumph

14 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I agree that he's capable of it, but I don't think he needs to do it to fill his role on this team. He's still the best player on this team and he easily creates more offensive than anyone on this roster, and I don't care if he pots 20 of his own and then dishes out 45 to the likes of Palmieri or Henrique (who I do see as the shooters on this team). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot from your best players, but I dislike the notion of him being crucified by our fanbase for not scoring goals when he's creating offense anyways.

I think he will need to as some of these guys slow up (though it looks like a team that could be a solid goal-scoring group, especially once Hischier breaks the dam).  If the Devils lose last night's game, you would've heard a lot more complaining about him not burying at least one of his chances.  If he can put in 26+ goals AND approach 70 points, I'll take it.  I get what you're saying, as long as he gets his 70 or so who cares how his points are distributed, but I don't see him getting 50 assists (though if he does, then a hell of a lot will have gone right).    

Just now, Triumph said:

Hall had much better linemates in those seasons.  He wasn't playing with Travis Zajac or Pavel Zacha.

Be that as it may, he's still getting excellent chances that he's flat-out not finishing.  It's not hurting the Devils at the moment.  It could down the line.  But like I've said, I know he won't continue to shoot what is now under 5%.  As long as he keeps getting SOG (and he's already got 21), a surge should be coming sooner than later.      

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Be that as it may, he's still getting excellent chances that he's flat-out not finishing.  It's not hurting the Devils at the moment.  It could down the line.  But like I've said, I know he won't continue to shoot what is now under 5%.  As long as he keeps getting SOG (and he's already got 21), a surge should be coming sooner than later.      

Well, great, sounds like there's nothing to worry about then.

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Well, great, sounds like there's nothing to worry about then.

About continuing to shoot under 5%, no.  But I'd to see a lot better than 8% or so for the duration of the season.  Maybe that will be enough if this goals-by-committee scoring continues...I just don't think that it can.  Just like Hall won't continue to shoot 4.8%, the team won't continue to shoot 14.1%. 

Not digging the shirt.

There was a shirt by Fanatics last night that I think I will have to buy next week.  I have only seen it at the arena.  It is red with NEW JERSEY printed in the retro colors on the front with a drop-shadow effect and then the Devils retro logo on the sleeve.  I thought it looked pretty sharp.

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao the Tampa radio PBP guy goes from 0-60 pretty damn fast when the Bolts score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a game where Fedatenko scored in overtime and the call was just absolutely ridiculous. My friend would troll me with the replay all the time, particularly after I lost in a video game,  and it would drive me sh!t crazy. 

Edit: I can't find the video of the goal im talking about, but I had no idea Ruslan Fedotenko had a PTO with the Devils. 

Edit2: The call doesn't seem to exist anymore anywhere I could see it, but the game was January 26th, 2006 and Fedotenko's goal was the only one in the game.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Off topic, but VG just released possibly the best shirt ever

VG-PUDDY-MOCK_1024x1024.jpg?v=1507850128

It's very far from the best imo.  Looks horrible, not astetically pleasing, like a rip off shirt you can get from china.  

Wait, people are complaining about Taylor Hall?

NJ has played a lot of teams with great 1-2 punches down the middle and Nico has still looked great:

Matthews and Kadri

Eichel/O'Reilly

Stamkos/Johnson

Kuznetsov/Backstrom

Not every team has those types of duos and I really look forward to seeing Nico play lesser ones (like SJ and Ottawa).

It's very far from the best imo.  Looks horrible, not astetically pleasing, like a rip off shirt you can get from china.  

I have no frame of reference on their other shirts because I've never seen them, but as a Devils and Seinfeld fan, this one rules. I've already texted it to my mom and sister and told them it's my first Christmas idea of the year lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Off topic, but VG just released possibly the best shirt ever

VG-PUDDY-MOCK_1024x1024.jpg?v=1507850128

Meh. I'm just hoping that the make an "Enforce New Jersey" shirt like they have with other teams. I have their Rocket Richard/Sugar Jim Henry handshake shirt.

9 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Oh my god, just went on TB's website to listen, it's atrocious. So satisfying when we score though :D 

Link if some of you guys wanna laugh a little : 

Thats was friging nightmare........... 

9 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Oh my god, just went on TB's website to listen, it's atrocious. So satisfying when we score though :D 

Link if some of you guys wanna laugh a little : 

That was a fringing nightmare..............