Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GrimePilot

Patrick Roy Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

From http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/11/will-butcher-denver-pioneers-not-signing-with-avs/

Near the end of Butcher’s junior season a year ago, the Avalanche told Butcher’s “family adviser” the team was not interested in signing the 5-foot-10, 190-pound defenseman at any point. But that attitude toward Butcher was believed to have emanated from then-coach Patrick Roy, who was also the Avs’ vice president. Roy resigned in August, and the Avs had scouts or team executives at numerous DU home games this season. Assistant Avs general manager Chris MacFarland was at the Frozen Four in Chicago last weekend.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hugs and kisses to that hot-headed loon.  Don't know what we'd do without you, St. Pat!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....damn I thought this was gonna be some anti-Brodeur troll thread....what a disappointment!!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CRASHER said:

....damn I thought this was gonna be some anti-Brodeur troll thread....what a disappointment!!!!!

SINCE you brought it up... 

They are so different -- it's hard to even compare them.  I'm a huge fan of Marty, but Roy arguably did more with less, intimidated the other team more, and exploded/melted down in much more spectacular and entertaining fashion.  Marty was by far the much better teammate and professional.  

First wives best not be asked to review either of them for ANY award considerations.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss seeing Roy try to stick handle the puck like Brodeur head to head...  and fail spectacularly.   I think it happened on a few occasions...

 

And oh... hi there, Melanie :)

Edited by aylbert
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just because I was browsing Roy fails on YouTube...   I do miss hearing John Davidson in broadcasts  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

fvck him and fvck Ray Bourque

Adam Foote can go fvck himself as well. The only player on that team I had any respect for was Sakic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked Milan Hejduk; as like a lesser Elias in my head... and while we were playing the Avs I used to try to jinx him by saying  Hejjjjjjjjjduk when he had the puck...    it had mixed results because jinxes aren’t real.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And just because I was browsing Roy fails on YouTube...   I do miss hearing John Davidson in broadcasts  
 
I never saw that one before, hilarious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much appreciated decision-making from the 2nd best goalie of all-time.

Will Butcher is on pace for 123 points (0G, 123A), think he'll do it? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Much appreciated decision-making from the 2nd best goalie of all-time.

Will Butcher is on pace for 123 points (0G, 123A), think he'll do it? :P

Who do you have 1st, Brodeur or Hasek? 

For me it's Brodeur>Hasek>Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Who do you have 1st, Brodeur or Hasek? 

For me it's Brodeur>Hasek>Roy

Nikolai Khabibulin. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite the roller coaster of emotions starting from seeing the thread title to actually reading the post.

Thanks Roy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nessus said:

Quite the roller coaster of emotions starting from seeing the thread title to actually reading the post.

Thanks Roy!

It’s really a sheep in wolf’s clothing title.  I like it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, aylbert said:

I miss seeing Roy try to stick handle the puck like Brodeur head to head...  and fail spectacularly.   I think it happened on a few occasions...

 

And oh... hi there, Melanie :)

For a match-up of all-time greats, the goaltending in that series sucked.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that he had the balls to stand up to MTL ownership and their god-awful fans and quit in the middle of that game where he did the "come on" arms motion after the crowd sarcastically cheered an easy save

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

For a match-up of all-time greats, the goaltending in that series sucked.   

The play in general that series sucked. For two great teams with skill that could score it was a 7 games dud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, '7' said:

The play in general that series sucked. For two great teams with skill that could score it was a 7 games dud

Marty was so shaky for much of that series...as far as his pre-decline seasons went, 2000-01 was one of his most inconsistent and least impressive.  His first 14 games that season were largely awful (.876 save%...imagine how much people would be freaking if Cory ever had a start like that to the season?!).  He then was quite good for a while (.923 save% over his next 32 GP), before ending his season on a bit of a whimper (.899 save% over his final 26 games to close out his season).  Couple that .899 with the .897 he put up for the playoffs (he was very up and down throughout), and it's hard to believe that Marty could be a sub-.900 save% goalie for a 51-game period...especially since he'd shown the ability to raise his game in the playoffs.  He was basically mediocre-to-poor for almost 70% of that season...but because the team was so dymanic and fun to watch, and because they racked up so many points and went deep into the playoffs, and had just won a Cup the year before where Marty had been excellent, his largely not-good 2000-01 season really didn't get noticed as much as it might have under different circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Marty was so shaky for much of that series...as far as his pre-decline seasons went, 2000-01 was one of his most inconsistent and least impressive.  His first 14 games that season were largely awful (.876 save%...imagine how much people would be freaking if Cory ever had a start like that to the season?!).  He then was quite good for a while (.923 save% over his next 32 GP), before ending his season on a bit of a whimper (.899 save% over his final 26 games to close out his season).  Couple that .899 with the .897 he put up for the playoffs (he was very up and down throughout), and it's hard to believe that Marty could be a sub-.900 save% goalie for a 51-game period...especially since he'd shown the ability to raise his game in the playoffs.  He was basically mediocre-to-poor for almost 70% of that season...but because the team was so dymanic and fun to watch, and because they racked up so many points and went deep into the playoffs, and had just won a Cup the year before where Marty had been excellent, his largely not-good 2000-01 season really didn't get noticed as much as it might have under different circumstances.

And his 2001-2002 season as a while wasn't all that great either. Same .906 saver percentage as 2000-2001. I recall people wanting him to play fewer games. 

I wonder if it was marital issues or something. 2002-2003 was when that whole thing went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, '7' said:

And his 2001-2002 season as a while wasn't all that great either. Same .906 saver percentage as 2000-2001. I recall people wanting him to play fewer games. 

I wonder if it was marital issues or something. 2002-2003 was when that whole thing went down.

Funny you should mention that...without getting into it too much (not like any of the details of the timeline of any of that is our business), I wonder how much that affected his play.  That must have been a hell of a lot to deal with.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Marty was so shaky for much of that series...as far as his pre-decline seasons went, 2000-01 was one of his most inconsistent and least impressive.  His first 14 games that season were largely awful (.876 save%...imagine how much people would be freaking if Cory ever had a start like that to the season?!).  He then was quite good for a while (.923 save% over his next 32 GP), before ending his season on a bit of a whimper (.899 save% over his final 26 games to close out his season).  Couple that .899 with the .897 he put up for the playoffs (he was very up and down throughout), and it's hard to believe that Marty could be a sub-.900 save% goalie for a 51-game period...especially since he'd shown the ability to raise his game in the playoffs.  He was basically mediocre-to-poor for almost 70% of that season...but because the team was so dymanic and fun to watch, and because they racked up so many points and went deep into the playoffs, and had just won a Cup the year before where Marty had been excellent, his largely not-good 2000-01 season really didn't get noticed as much as it might have under different circumstances.

42 wins and 9 shutouts mask what was 10th in GAA and 16th in SV% for starters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, '7' said:

The play in general that series sucked. For two great teams with skill that could score it was a 7 games dud

I don't think having such an easy series again the Pens helped either.   We kind of sleep walked through the first 4 games and then turned it on in game 5.  After that 4-1 win, I was so sure we were going to see the cup in Game 6 I packed all sorts of stuff to tailgate late into the night in the stadium parking lot.   One of the more crushing defeats ever.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Nikolai Khabibulin. 

Maybe the most insane goalie I've ever seen.

The shots of him twitching and sh!t while playing... I mean he looked legitimately deranged.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I don't think having such an easy series again the Pens helped either.   We kind of sleep walked through the first 4 games and then turned it on in game 5.  After that 4-1 win, I was so sure we were going to see the cup in Game 6 I packed all sorts of stuff to tailgate late into the night in the stadium parking lot.   One of the more crushing defeats ever.   

I was at game 6 that year and it was the worst feeling in the world leaving the arena.  It was like a morgue.  Everyone knew walking out that the Devils were not going to win game 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×