Sign in to follow this  
Neb00rs

Who is the Devils' Best Goaltender Right Now?

Who is the Devils' Best Goaltender Right Now?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Devils' best goaltender Right Now?

• Cory Schneider
    • Keith Kinkaid

Lots of down time in the next week folks, is there any controversy to be had?

I get nervous when Cory handles the puck tho.

Cory Schneider. That was easy. 

Love KK but he's got a ways to go to be any where near Schneiders consistency

Edited by Devil Dan 56

It's Schneider until proven otherwise - and that'll take time.

I think KK is a great backup and team guy. We're lucky to have him.

But Cory's like.. top-5 in the league when he's on.

Trust in Cory. Kinkaid's been good. Sad that Wedge won't really get a shot. Maybe if he sticks around.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I don't know. I mean, I think I probably say Cory is still best for now but there's no reason this is a silly topic. Cory has been pretty inconsistent for awhile now, going back to last season, while Kinkaid has looked really solid on the ice and on paper.

4 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't know. I mean, I think I probably say Cory is still best for now but there's no reason this is a silly topic. Cory has been pretty inconsistent for awhile now, going back to last season, while Kinkaid has looked really solid on the ice and on paper.

Cory looked solid to start, but his last 3 games have been rough to say the least. He seemed to be reverting back to the Cory of last year, not the methodical movements the sparked calm and coolness but that almost panicky jerky way he seemed in the crease. Maybe he was injured the whole time over that span and only came out with it Thursday, but he still is a better tender than KK.

5 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

There is a huge difference between looking good in spot starts and being able to do it consistently. 

Its going to take a lot for Kinkaid to be considered the best on the Devils. While I like him a lot, I'm not sure how he would do with a starter's workload

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There is a huge difference between looking good in spot starts and being able to do it consistently. 

Its going to take a lot for Kinkaid to be considered the best on the Devils. While I like him a lot, I'm not sure how he would do with a starter's workload

This is obviously a fair point, for if it wasn't, the answer to my question would be Kinkaid. It takes a long time for people to mentally accept that all of a sudden a star player isn't the top guy anymore in the prime of his career. Schneider probably has most of this season to continue to slump and retain the starting position if he needs, even if Kinkaid continues to play at .930+.

There is a mental comfort and confidence we have in Schneider, that has been ingrained in our heads from information, true information, that we have been given time and time again. This builds a perception that isn't easily broken, even when pucks are beating Cory. When the minority of people first started asking if Tom Brady would continue starting when Drew Bledsoe returned from injury, the majority of people were like, "Lol, c'mon don't be stupid." I am not saying this situation will prove analogous.

I have to say, I still feel safer, more confident with Schneids in net than KK. As a matter of fact, I look forward to Schneider bouncing back to his 2010-2016 form. But, in the short term, KK has been better. His start vs. the Rangers was stellar.

Alas, it's early in the season, but it would have been a lot easier to post this thread if Cory has a .904 two months from now. It's more interesting to see what people think right now and then watch the season play out and find out if their opinions change or if I will be a goat (not the acronym) for posting this thread.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:39 PM, mfitz804 said:

This is a silly topic this early in the season. 

yes sir.  :)

It's hard to compare a starter to a backup just bc of games played.  Im prob in the minority, but I think kk has the stuff to be a starter in this league and will be once his contract with us is up, or gets traded.  Also, both cory and kk play 2 different goalie styles, Cory butterfly, kk hybrid (similar to brodeur), which makes it hard to do an even comparison.  Imo hybrid goalies have a longer shelf life as it's a bit less wear and tear on the knees dropping to the ice for every single shot.   

Cory is better positionally (as most butterfly goalies are, however for a butterfly goalie  (whose bread and butter are 5 hole shots) he has been horrible at them (even in the good yrs). 

Kk, his positioning is improving, but rebound control has been his biggest improvement thus far.  His glove is extremely good (far better then cory), and handles the puck better then any tri state goalie.   He's prone to 5 holes, as all hybrids are, but makes the side to side saves, and athletic/scrambling  saves that cory can't due to his play style.  No stat backs this up, but i feel more confident that kk will.come up with the big clutch save, where as I'm nervous cory will.  

I would like to see kk get a string of starts to see how he fares...but it's corys net to lose.  

• Like 1