No Devils Game for a Week

Ollie McKraut

Strange scheduling but what can you do?  Sucks because there was so much good buzz around the Devils.  

However, they could use some healing time (esp Cory)... it gives Boyle a chance to get a lot of hard practice in too. 

Oh and Palms got hurt in practice today (lower body) so he's day-to-day now too. They're hoping he'll be back to practice on Tuesday (with Cory) so that'll be something to keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Great time to heal up, and work on game adjustments. LGD

It would've been nice to have had this break later in the season, but oh well...chance for Cory to heal up a bit, and like you said, to work on some things.

As far as early disappointments go...for me, it's Mueller...the Devils don't give up a 2nd and 4th for him unless they think he can nail down a spot...yes, Butcher coming in complicated things, but the Devils are clearly not adverse to Killjoy and Prout not playing if Mueller can give them a solid reason to keep him in the lineup.  I can't complain about how Mueller's been handled though. 

Anyway, no quibbles, make the most of this time, come back this Friday and continue what they're started.  LGD!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It would've been nice to have had this break later in the season, but oh well...chance for Cory to heal up a bit, and like you said, to work on some things.

Agreed. While giving a team off a week 3 weeks into the season makes zero sense, aside from that, it does appear we can use the time for healing.

• Like 1

Every team has a week off at some point during the year, so this isn't just limited to us.  Definitely a little odd, and probably kinda crappy, for it to happen this early into the season, but coming off of a bad loss on Saturday, hopefully it will leave this team hungry and ready once they get back to action.  I'd rather get the break out of the way now so the team can stay rolling and not lose any momentum later on in the year when it becomes more important.

53 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Every team has a week off at some point during the year, so this isn't just limited to us.  Definitely a little odd, and probably kinda crappy, for it to happen this early into the season, but coming off of a bad loss on Saturday, hopefully it will leave this team hungry and ready once they get back to action.  I'd rather get the break out of the way now so the team can stay rolling and not lose any momentum later on in the year when it becomes more important.

You might feel differently later if some of the young guys are getting gassed, but at the same time, someone was going to have to deal with getting their equivalent of a bye week early...it just happens to be the Devils. 

Young guys learning how to deal with the grind of an 82-game NHL season is part of the drill anyway...if one of more of the youngins are tired by the end of the year, they'll be better prepared for their next season. 

I believe AG said this wasn't out NHL mandated week off, correct? So we'll get another one of these somewhere around Jan/Feb?

Yep. Makes no sense. I thought this was the bye week, but it turns out it's just a stupid scheduling quirk. Again, makes absolutely no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Makes no sense. I thought this was the bye week, but it turns out it's just a stupid scheduling quirk. Again, makes absolutely no sense.

A good thing in hindsight given Cory going down with this LBI though. It's only bad for us fans cause now we're bored for a week lol 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So when IS the "official" bye week?  Is it 1/8 - 1/12? 

In a way, if this week is just a scheduling quirk, I don't mind it so much, considering that Schneider is hurting, and that the D could use some extra practice. 

• Like 4

So when IS the "official" bye week?  Is it 1/8 - 1/12? 
In a way, if this week is just a scheduling quirk, I don't mind it so much, considering that Schneider is hurting, and that the D could use some extra practice. 

Your guess is as good as mine CR, but I'd imagine that week in January would be it if we don't have a game scheduled during that week.

1 hour ago, bostondevil11 said:

I feel like the Devils always get a huge break like this at the beginning of the season.

I feel that way also, but didn't bother to check previous year's schedules to substantiate that. 

All I do know is 1) I'm going on 10/27 and I'm excited about that, and 2) its Coat Drive night, don't forget to bring old (or new) coats to simultaneously help people while also scoring a voucher for free tickets. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You might feel differently later if some of the young guys are getting gassed, but at the same time, someone was going to have to deal with getting their equivalent of a bye week early...it just happens to be the Devils. 

Young guys learning how to deal with the grind of an 82-game NHL season is part of the drill anyway...if one of more of the youngins are tired by the end of the year, they'll be better prepared for their next season. 

Yeah exactly, just the luck of the draw really, and being that we got quite lucky with #1 overall pick this past year, I'll gladly take an early week off instead :D

9 hours ago, Ollie McKraut said:

Gotcha, interesting. Never noticed this before

Yeah, it's something they just started doing fairly recently, I think within the last two or three seasons.

Andrew Gross ‏Verified account @AGrossRecord

Per John Hynes, Kyle Palmieri worked out off ice today and Cory Schneider skated on his own. Hynes says Schneider will skate again tomorrow.

Chris Ryan ‏Verified account @ChrisRyan_NJ

Michael McLeod has been skating on his own for a few days. He underwent knee surgery to repair on torn meniscus on Oct. 12.

• Like 1