TRADE: G Scott Wedgewood from NJ to ARI for 2018 5th

Triumph

Reported by Friedman and McKenzie.

I don't know about this move - obviously Wedgewood is 'blocked' here and deserves a chance somewhere (and is a Rule VI FA at season's end), but Blackwood has had a rough start in the AHL this year.  It's great value for a guy who I thought was worthless 2 seasons ago, but you'd hate to see Kinkaid or Schneider forced to play basically every game.

I.... I don't get it....
... he's under contract and was traded, why wouln't he be able to? Guys who are traded can play right away as far as I know

Yep. Just go across the hall into the visitors locker room. He'll start tonight, guaranteed. Domingue has been absolutely terrible and Raanta is still injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Just go across the hall into the visitors locker room. He'll start tonight, guaranteed. Domingue has been absolutely terrible and Raanta is still injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was thinking of picking him up in my fantasy league, expanded this year and made one huge mistake: had too many goalies allowed on the roster, ooops

They're due for a win and of course he'll blank us

Edited by jagknife

12 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

5th round pick doesnt make sense. I think we shouldve gotten a 3rd rounder at the least, after all he was picked in the third round as well.

He went though waivers and no one claimed him for free, I think getting a 5th is a win

EDIT: Additionally, once Cory was activated, we would have to waive him again.

Edited by jagknife

A little risky if Cory has health issues. I would've just kept Wedge as a "Just in case."  A 5th-rounder doesn't seem like enough...not because Shero could've gotten more, but because if Cory or KK gets hurt, there's no one else at the moment that you'd feel good about in the system.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He went though waivers and no one claimed him for free, I think getting a 5th is a win

EDIT: Additionally, once Cory was activated, we would have to waive him again.

No, Wedgewood does not require waivers again to go back down - he hasn't been on the roster for 30 days.

As for not having an emergency goalie, I agree it's troubling, but Vegas is going to have too many guys in a few months, plus Toronto seems to have 3 or 4 goalies - I think the Devils could get a guy for cheaper than they gave up Wedgewood for.

Best of luck to Wedgewall!  He may actually get to stay on their NHL roster all year which is great for him. 

Are we sure that Wedge wouldn't have had to go through waivers to be sent down? Some people were tweeting that he would have to and we'd have lost him for nothing...  

FYI: 

Andrew Gross ‏Verified account @AGrossRecord  

Louis Dominique will start for the Coyotes tonight.

Surely any GM worth his salt would say "Yeah, you can have him for a fifth but only if you don't start him against us". Not saying it's strictly by the rules but isn't it fairly common in most major team sports?

Let's face it, it's one one of those strange universal laws. The player that spends years being crap every time he pulls on your teams colours suddenly turns into a world beater when he pulls on another teams strip against you!

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Surely any GM worth his salt would say "Yeah, you can have him for a fifth but only if you don't start him against us". Not saying it's strictly by the rules but isn't it fairly common in most major team sports?

Let's face it, it's one one of those strange universal laws. The player that spends years being crap every time he pulls on your teams colours suddenly turns into a world beater when he pulls on another teams strip against you!

He was actually very good for us in his handful of NHL starts.  I think he definitely has the stuff to be an NHL starting goalie somewhere.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

He was actually very good for us in his handful of NHL starts.  I think he definitely has the stuff to be an NHL starting goalie somewhere.  

He was good in 4 games 2 years ago. I’m not sure that translates into him being good enough to start somewhere.

By the way, this is not AZ's 5th rounder - this AZ's 5th round pick that they got from Calgary.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/devils 

ETA: At times like this, I try to remember that Bratt was a 6th round pick so a 5th rounder might not be so bad in Shero's/Castron's hands! 

Edited by LittleBallofHate