GDT: Coyotes @ Devils 7:00 PM

SeanMac16

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No sh!t? Is there any condition you can’t diagnose on a message board?

You know what this has been worthwhile, and my work is done, because the next time you are out and in a situation where a child is screaming ,you are going to think  " ha, I bet that if that fvcking a$$hole from the message board was here he would think this kid has a learning difficulty or autism or some sh!t".

And in that split second you will have had to subconsciously consider it. 

It's like The Game. 

Also anyone now thinking about The Game you have lost. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I have a kid, work with kids, and volunteer with kids, many of whom have learning disabilities, psychological conditions, brain injuries, and autism, from high functioning to completely non-verbal. You didn’t educate me at all. I’d be able to make that assessment before you said a word. 

I can spot a kid who is an a$$hole in a second also. Even on a message board. 

12 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The condition has so many individual quirks and element it's impossible to tell. The whole full name thing could be to do with the fact that some people with autism are maticulous over detail. But who knows. But thank you for taking my comment the way it was intended.

I personally have to mentally check myself at times when someone in public does something to piss me off. And at the same time let's not pretend that it isn't annoying, and also not pretend that children with autism aren't capable of intentionally playing up and causing trouble. My parents always know when my brother is causing a scene intentionally. Kids with learning difficulties still need to be taught right and wrong and what's socially acceptable within their own boundaries. 

Hockey wise: totally agree, this is where a player like Zajac comes into his own with his skill set. You don't build a team around a Zajac but you need one to make the players you are building a team around better. So good to see us with depth!

I used to teach kids with autism before leaving teaching for my current job, the kid in question sounds like he may have been on the spectrum for sure. With so many varying degrees of the condition and the level of help available out there, some times it is really hard to tell 100% for sure.

I had two guys sitting next to me at a baseball game in Houston in June and the one kept doing play by play for the entire game. I thought he was just young or straight up annoying until I realized he and his brother had disabilities. Then I just tried to have fun with it, and he ended up having a blast to the point his mom stopped me and my wife later and thanked us for having fun with them and taking the burden off of them for a few hours. Turned out they were visiting from Long Island. Small world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

why has this thread completely turned into discussing a kid that was found to be obnoxious at the game? I came here to read about the devils and I just wasted time of my life I will never get back to have to read through this completely off topic waste 

Sorry, I am equally as puzzled as to how this has got so blown out our proportion. 

Was never my intention.

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mentioned this to coffee in a previous thread, but a guy with Zajac's skillset (who on this team probably won't be asked to provide more offensive than he's capable of, which was clearly an issue in previous seasons) is the kind of guy you think about trading for, on a team like this...maybe you wouldn't trade for him specifically with his contract, but the good news the Devils won't have to give up anything to get a guy like him...he's already here...hopefully he can stay healthy for the rest of the season.  I think he's going to be a huge help once he comes back.   

Where do you see him fitting into the line up? I could see him being paired with some of the younger guys on the team to bring some calm and influence. 

One thing i think Shero is going to find tricky to manage is where you put Brian Boyle when he is ready to go. The bottom lines of the team have been impressive so far, who do you drop?

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Where do you see him fitting into the line up? I could see him being paired with some of the younger guys on the team to bring some calm and influence. 

One thing i think Shero is going to find tricky to manage is where you put Brian Boyle when he is ready to go. The bottom lines of the team have been impressive so far, who do you drop?

It’s an enviable position for sure. As of now, there isn’t a single forward I want to remove from the lineup, but Zajac definitely gets a spot when he comes back, and Boyle may as well. 

But I don’t know how you justify it, unless someone is moved for a D-Man. 

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Short answer:  I really don't know...and that's a good thing, because it means the current lines (and line variations within games) are pretty much doing their jobs (but as we've seen, there's situations where Travis will be a tremendous help...PK, faceoffs, etc).  I think he's versatile enough that he could potentially play with anyone, but it all depends who he clicks with.  There's a lot of new bodies in the lineup now that he's never played with...he's almost going to be starting over when he comes back. 

Of course, if someone gets hurt (definitely a possibility...Palms and MoJo have already missed games), then it might become a lot clearer where he'll play. 

If the team is continuing to play well but the D is still an issue, it wouldn't surprise me if Shero traded a current forward + a prospect (like McLeod or Q, even though neither one has shown enough to excite another GM yet) to try to upgrade.  I'm still hopeful that Mueller might get it going, but he's already been healthy-scratched four times in the last seven games.  That's concerning, mostly because I'm guessing Hynes & Co really aren't liking what they're seeing in practice from him.    

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri for the tough assignments. They're getting caved in pretty hard with Hischier as 1C now. 

Boyle is a different and tougher matter because the 4th line has been really solid. But I suspect injuries will sort this out, as it usually does.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s an enviable position for sure. As of now, there isn’t a single forward I want to remove from the lineup, but Zajac definitely gets a spot when he comes back, and Boyle may as well. 

But I don’t know how you justify it, unless someone is moved for a D-Man. 

I can't actually remember the last time we had a level of depth this . I am not sure any of the forwards you would want to give up would bring a decent return and the ones you would get a decent return for you can't afford to lose. 

I take it we are going to have to lose someone off the roster as well when Zajac returns as well, or do we have enough space? At some point I would think they have to decide if they are getting rid of one of Prout , Lovejoy or Muller. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Short answer:  I really don't know...and that's a good thing, because it means the current lines (and line variations within games) are pretty much doing their jobs (but as we've seen, there's situations where Travis will be a tremendous help...PK, faceoffs, etc).  I think he's versatile enough that he could potentially play with anyone, but it all depends who he clicks with.  There's a lot of new bodies in the lineup now that he's never played with...he's almost going to be starting over when he comes back. 

Of course, if someone gets hurt (definitely a possibility...Palms and MoJo have already missed games), then it might become a lot clearer where he'll play. 

If the team is continuing to play well but the D is still an issue, it wouldn't surprise me if Shero traded a current forward + a prospect (like McLeod or Q, even though neither one has shown enough to excite another GM yet) to try to upgrade.  I'm still hopeful that Mueller might get it going, but he's already been healthy-scratched four times in the last seven games.  That's concerning, mostly because I'm guessing Hynes & Co really aren't liking what they're seeing in practice from him.    

The PK should really benefit from his return. And maybe he might help address the issue of the constant penalties by taking a big chunk of the difficult minutes and giving the younger guys a break. 

I would be loathed to give up either of McLeod or Quinn at this stage as they both have such dramatic up sides. But realise you have to give to get.

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri for the tough assignments. They're getting caved in pretty hard with Hischier as 1C now. 

Boyle is a different and tougher matter because the 4th line has been really solid. But I suspect injuries will sort this out, as it usually does.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

Don't know what's going on with the last part of the post above. 

That line had chemistry in the past and they complement each other. I do worry that at times that having Zajac and Hall on the same line means pairing guys who have a reluctance to shoot. Or at the very least don't make their shooting opportunities count enough. Palms makes up for that but Hall and Zajac are our two streakiest players. 

True I would have thought over the 82 games with a relatively fresh faced roster injuries are going to play their part. I think at this stage though Boyle should have to wait his turn. Give one of the guys a chance to lose their spot rather than him automatically being handed it. 

6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I can't actually remember the last time we had a level of depth this . I am not sure any of the forwards you would want to give up would bring a decent return and the ones you would get a decent return for you can't afford to lose. 

I take it we are going to have to lose someone off the roster as well when Zajac returns as well, or do we have enough space? At some point I would think they have to decide if they are getting rid of one of Prout , Lovejoy or Muller. 

The PK should really benefit from his return. And maybe he might help address the issue of the constant penalties by taking a big chunk of the difficult minutes and giving the younger guys a break. 

I would be loathed to give up either of McLeod or Quinn at this stage as they both have such dramatic up sides. But realise you have to give to get.

I don't think Q is going to do a whole lot at the NHL level myself.  Just a hunch.  Not saying he'll be a total bust, but I think if he went in a package for an upgrade on D, I don't think anything he does will be so amazing that you'll regret having made the deal.

Obviously don't have much to go on yet with McLeod.  But yeah, it's like you say, as great as it is to build up a prospect base, eventually you'll have to start making some tough decisions, especially as more and more of them having nothing left to prove at lower levels...some of those guys will inevitably get their first real chance with another team...hopefully whatever player you deal them for doesn't make you sorry for it (even if at the time it makes perfect sense to roll the dice). 

Mueller's probably going to get the longest leash due to his age and what they gave up for him...I think Shero dealt for Mueller knowing there was still considerable work to be done there.  Former first-round picks are a bit like lefty pitchers or very hard throwers in MLB...they get a few chances before they're permanently discarded...there's always those two or three teams that think that they can right those guys.  I've been harping on Mueller a lot, but so far it's really not looking good for him...whatever he's doing or not doing (I'm not just talking about games), he seems to have one foot permanently in the doghouse right now.  I think this three-headed monster sticks for a while...can't see anyone eager to take on Lovejoy's money, even though it's far from an awful contract.  I'm not sure what the plan is for Prout, but it seems like he's clearly the #8 guy for now.   

36 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oh for sure, it’d need to be a package, and I’m not sure even then we would get what we need. 

The guy we need will wind up being a FA we overpay for in the offseason. 

50 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Don't know what's going on with the last part of the post above. 

That line had chemistry in the past and they complement each other. I do worry that at times that having Zajac and Hall on the same line means pairing guys who have a reluctance to shoot. Or at the very least don't make their shooting opportunities count enough. Palms makes up for that but Hall and Zajac are our two streakiest players. 

True I would have thought over the 82 games with a relatively fresh faced roster injuries are going to play their part. I think at this stage though Boyle should have to wait his turn. Give one of the guys a chance to lose their spot rather than him automatically being handed it. 

I wouldn't worry about that, Hall shoots plenty (but not always). Zajac coming in at 1C should mean that line can have a positive goal differential long term, but the primary change coming in goals against. Yeah, they might not score as much as before, but it's a game of differentials. I think you can more than make up for it letting Nico go wild vs 2nd and 3rd lines. 

16 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You must be new here

almost 4600 posts later, yea its my first time here.

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

as much as I want to see Boyle come into this line up and see what he can do I don't really see how we could just take apart the bottom six that seems to be clicking together quite well at this point. If its not broke don't fix it, let it roll for the time being and when the opportunity occurs let Boyle jump in there.