GDT: Devils at Vancouver, 11/1/17, 10pm (too damn late)

mfitz804

Re Zacha,  I saw times when he was competing hard, just nothing worked out for him. 

Nico, doesn't seem as confident entering the zone as earlier in the season.

There felt like there was no sustained zone pressure at all this game.  The win is nice but I haven't been that impressed with our game the past couple games.  The 'fast' and 'attacking' game hasn't been as strong.

• Like 1

I went into tonight hoping to catch at least the first period.  By some miracle I watched two periods before calling it a night.  Nice to see they hung on to a win and even a shutout to Cory who deserved most of the praise for it.

This was another game the Devils would have absolutely lost last year.  The Devils are slowly starting to miss Palms and with Johansson going down early it really put a strain on the Devils.  I guess this game is an example of how good teams tend to make their own luck.

Also nice to see Boyle back in the lineup.  Still not sure where he fits in long-term on the team when players start to return back from injury.

20 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

Re Zacha,  I saw times when he was competing hard, just nothing worked out for him. 

Nico, doesn't seem as confident entering the zone as earlier in the season.

There felt like there was no sustained zone pressure at all this game.  The win is nice but I haven't been that impressed with our game the past couple games.  The 'fast' and 'attacking' game hasn't been as strong.

I noticed Zacha, getting knocked off the puck alot last nght

Was good in the Faceoff Circle though

Edited by Gunslinger27

Watched the 3rd this AM as planned.

Cory picked us up, great game from Hall, great game from Mueller. 

Any nght you get dominated in possession and still win via a shootout is a good game. This one goes into the “we stole one” category, which will be important if we are making a run at the playoffs.

Nice game boys. 

Planned on taking a nap when I got back from work yesterday to be able to stay up for the whole game, somehow ended up sleeping straight through until 1:00 am and ended up missing the whole game :doh1:

Good to see Cory play the way he did and get the shutout, he needed that game badly, even though I don't think he's been bad so far this year I definitely still think there's another gear to him, hopefully that game kicks him into it.

just watched the replay. HOW DID WE WIN THAT GAME???!!!  get the hell out of BC, fast!  hynesarella with the blocked shots, loads of puck luck and bad shooting by the cannucks

cory took away the ice, and the rest of the attempts were blocked, missed the net, or into his chest.. guys did ok with clearing the rebounds, our centers were back.. but man....

hope johansson is ok, he did the heads up hockey thing which was great 

• Like 1

I went to bed right after the EN, could barely hold out any longer. I woke up late for work and the whole deal, but totally worth it. Got a big iced coffee to push me along today.

They got outplayed at several points last night. At times it looked like VAN had a power play. The two points belong solely to Cory. The team has a lot of heart or luck or something(Schneider) to continue to make something out of nights when they should have nothing.

7 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Hall with two primary assists. Gosh, his haters disappeared fast.

I was never a Hall "hater".  I would just like to see him convert scoring chances at a higher rate (he's done that before), because he gets a lot of them.  But even if that never happens, the guy obviously has a lot of ability and finally has HELP...but more importantly, I think he's having actual fun playing for perhaps the first time in his NHL career...always nice to see actual results in the stat columns.  I have a feeling the goals are going to start coming for him soon...more and more it feels like he's going to have a monster year...something in the neighborhood of over 90 points if he can play in 80+ games.  He's playing like an MVP.   

7 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Dear anyone hating on Mueller that missed this game: 

watch the last 6 minutes of this game. He made multiple game-saving plays.

Talk to the coaching staff...they're the ones that have already scratched him four times...they're not loving everything they've seen from him either.  But to be fair, maybe he doesn't have these six minutes without those scratches...maybe this is what it's going to take to wrench his best out of him, for him to turn the corner and start being a guy you feel comfortable putting in the lineup every game.  It wouldn't surprise me if Hynes & Co spoke to him after the game and told him "See, you can DO this!  You have the ability!  We just need to see more of that from you!"  It's nice that there's now that tangible sample of "Be THIS!" that the coaching staff can point to. 

Happy for Cory...he hasn't been bad overall so far this season (team D has been iffy a number of times), but just hadn't been great either.  Always nice to see him steal a game.

Really feel for MoJo and especially for Palms...injuries are obviously always the sh!tty part of the game, but it seems like a matter of time before Palms being out of the lineup is really going to sting. 

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The New Jersey Devils are 9-2. 

THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE NINE AND TWO.

And what's nice is that, though the team obviously has flaws and is now dealing with a couple of offensive forwards missing games, it doesn't feel anything like last season's 9-3-3 "only a matter of time before reality sets in" start.  No, they won't keep racking up points at a .818 rate.  But can this team find a way to finish with well over 90 points?  I believe that they can...as long as they don't get decimated by injuries.  I really hope this isn't a long-term thing with Palms. 

33 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

I have a 2.5 week old, that helped keep me up for the entire game.  Usually I just DVR these late games.

25730.jpeg

Man, I would love one day with this version of my daughter.  She used to "frog out" on my chest (she'd fall asleep on me and her legs and arms were kind of froggy-looking) while I watched Devils games.  That was nine years ago...I still can't believe that she's already nine years old sometimes.  Enjoy every moment and every age...as much as you enjoy the child she becomes, it's nice to look back on the baby/infant/toddler/little girl that she was too. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

Nice to see Cory back in elite form last night. Earned himself first star: https://www.nhl.com/video/three-stars-of-the-night/t-282747462/c-54116903

Nail biter at the end again with 2:30 left.. they seemed to get pinned down in their own zone very easily. Almost had deja vu from the OTT game, but hey this team is resilient and finding a way to win. 9-2 who would have thought! LGD!!

Cory was awesome.  Hall is leading. Love when "role" players keep finishing. Great slapper by Hayes.

That said, for parts, we got dominated.  But hell, we've been on the other end before. So it's great to take the 2 pts. & skate away.

Other:   Great pic & onesie Lucifer. Can't believe my baby girl turns 20 in a couple months.....  And happy to say is a rabid fan like both her parents.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eldon said:

Cory was awesome.  Hall is leading. Love when "role" players keep finishing. Great slapper by Hayes.

That said, for parts, we got dominated.  But hell, we've been on the other end before. So it's great to take the 2 pts. & skate away.

Other:   Great pic & onesie Lucifer. Can't believe my baby girl turns 20 in a couple months.....  And happy to say is a rabid fan like both her parents.

Eldon, I know the feeling my little princess turned 23, this year. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Apparently this is our best start in franchise history. Wow. Wouldn't have bet on that.

Marty was notoriously a slow starter. Devils tended to snooze through October, start waking up in November, and hit a roll after Thanksgiving. It almost felt like Lou designed their schedules that way.

Last night was an ugly game - the Devils were outworked and probably outsmarted as well.  They only drew 1 penalty and their PP looked phenomenal, but then that was it.

Gibbons had the first game where he looked like an AHLer, and Stafford was totally invisible - I mean, he scored that ENG, but he made no impact otherwise.

They're clearly limiting Hischier's minutes which is a good idea but it makes things awfully challenging on some of the rest of the team.  I'm afraid that we will see 11 F/7D next game when that is exactly what this team doesn't need.

Obviously Schneider was god and the Devils won, but there's some troubling signs in here.

15 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Last night was an ugly game - the Devils were outworked and probably outsmarted as well.  They only drew 1 penalty and their PP looked phenomenal, but then that was it.

Gibbons had the first game where he looked like an AHLer, and Stafford was totally invisible - I mean, he scored that ENG, but he made no impact otherwise.

They're clearly limiting Hischier's minutes which is a good idea but it makes things awfully challenging on some of the rest of the team.  I'm afraid that we will see 11 F/7D next game when that is exactly what this team doesn't need.

Obviously Schneider was god and the Devils won, but there's some troubling signs in here.

The devils must have played a man down in at least 3 or 4 games.  Not ideal

2 hours ago, lucifer91 said:

I have a 2.5 week old, that helped keep me up for the entire game.  Usually I just DVR these late games.

25730.jpeg

My wife and I are in very solid agreement that we don't want kids.  We don't hate them or anything, it is just not for us and we are pretty steadfast about it.  However, once or twice a year I see a picture that makes me reconsider just even a tiny bit.  This is definitely one of those pictures.

Adorable kid lucifer.

• Like 3

Yeah, rough night for a number of Devils last night:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=88593

38 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Schneider heating up is a good sign. Same with Hall. Good to see Mueller have a good game as well.

On the flip side of things, I'm seeing them overcomplicating and hesitating on some simple plays in their defensive zone that are causing them to stay penned in to their own zone. This hasn't bitten them as often as it could and that won't hold up if they don't fix it. While I understand wanting to be creative and less predictable to other teams forechecks, they need to be a lot crisper and confident with their movements on their defensive side of the ice. That isn't just the defensemen, it's the forwards and Cory as well. 

The first late game of West Coast trips I usually write off due to the time difference. Honestly to even get a point I'm happy so to win despite looking terrible is a bonus. Now they need to play better against the Oilers even if they get an unlucky loss cause its been 2 games where they played like crap for way too long but got lucky.

3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

just watched the replay. HOW DID WE WIN THAT GAME???!!!  get the hell out of BC, fast!  hynesarella with the blocked shots, loads of puck luck and bad shooting by the cannucks

cory took away the ice, and the rest of the attempts were blocked, missed the net, or into his chest.. guys did ok with clearing the rebounds, our centers were back.. but man....

hope johansson is ok, he did the heads up hockey thing which was great 

He did the heads up hockey thing, with his head down.