GDT : Devils @ Flames - 9:00 PM - 5/11/17 (SN360, MSG+)

Devs3cups

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

fvck.

Hall couldn't have been any less creative on that 2 on 1 to close out OT, and his shootout was terrible. Not to put all the blame on him, just those 2 plays.

Kinkaid's only save in the shootout was nuts. 

You can’t be serious complaining about Hall...guy has been money this year

• Like 2

RECAP

• I'll take the point.
  • Overall effort was good.
  • Too many defensive lapses.
  • There doesn't seem to be nearly enough urgency in the d-zone which is a problem.
  • Shooting the puck from weird angles and long distances does lead to goals.
  • Kinkaid played great.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 52 to 58
  • ES FF: 38 to 45
  • ES SF: 25 to 32
  • ES SCF: 24 to 33
  • ES HDCF: 11 to 9
  • All CF: 57 to 64
  • All FF: 43 to 48
  • All SF: 30 to 34
  • All SCF: 27 to 35
  • All HDCF: 13 to 10
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

fvck.

Hall couldn't have been any less creative on that 2 on 1 to close out OT, and his shootout was terrible. Not to put all the blame on him, just those 2 plays.

Kinkaid's only save in the shootout was nuts. 

Hall was about to pass out on the 2 on 1, and nearly scored from a dead stop. He had been out there for a long time.

Happy with 1-1-1 on this swing. Need Palms and Mojo back... as well as Santini. Lovejoy played a fantastic game tonight and that's not just cause he put up two points... he is so much better suited for this 7th dman role then what we had him doing last year. He's also way more effective than Prout. Hopefully we keep going with him over Prout. Anyway... I feel like the team is fulfilling the promise that Ray Shero made to us... they're gaining the respect of the league again and really that's all I want. So let's get healthy and come home, get some more wins. 

• Like 3

Was hoping for a 2 pt road trip, so obviously 3 is good. I thought this was their best game of the trip. Nico might've had his best game of the night and Lovejoy was surprisingly effective. The top line crushed it, but the other three weren't nearly as good. Need to get some people back asap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

fvck.

He was absolutely GASSED at the end of OT. I wouldn't even have used him in the shootout  (especially 1st) if I was Hynes. 

• Like 2

Nico's confidence is growing with every game which is a huge positive. 

The fact we are still getting goals without Palms and Mojo is good news. 

This team never gives up which is what you want to see from your team.

Hall said this road trip would define if they were a playoff team or not. I pretty much feel none the wiser on that point. Its hard not to recall last season's excellent start and then total collapse and feel that this group could head the same way. 

• Like 1

CD9, this team is a good bit different than last season's, and definitely more talented.  They obviously won't continue to rack up points at this rate (and guys like Gibbons will slow up) but I don't equate this start to the smoke-and-mirrors start of last season.  Last year's team benefitted from a soft early schedule and good puck luck.  This year's bunch isn't hoping that Henrique will score 30 goals again, or that an aging, very injury-prone and declining Cammalleri will somehow turn back the clock, or that a guy like DSP somehow extrapolates a freak surge into a full season's worth of production...not to mention there was no Nico, Bratt, or Butcher last year. The guys who were here last season are (thankfully, in some cases) not being asked to do more than they're capable.

I do think this team should contend for a playoff berth all season long...they'll slump at some point, but I can't see them struggle for so long that they suddenly become irrelevant.  You've mentioned that Palms and MoJo are out, which is hurting, but don't forget Zajac.  This team is doing a good job holding its own, and help is on the way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• I'll take the point.
  • Overall effort was good.
  • Too many defensive lapses.
  • There doesn't seem to be nearly enough urgency in the d-zone which is a problem.
  • Shooting the puck from weird angles and long distances does lead to goals.
  • Kinkaid played great.

Amazing how much better these recaps read as long as I picture Raymond Babbitt reading them to me.  Still works.

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Amazing how much better these recaps read as long as I picture Raymond Babbitt reading them to me.  Still works.

Yup, just repeat it after saying “definitely”. 

“Kinkaid played great; definitely played great”.

7 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

Jumping on Hall seems to be the thing to do on this board this season. Dude leads the team in scoring, he’s elevating the play of those around him, what a fvcking bum. 

• Like 1

Just going from my gut watching the game.....Actually though Lovejoy wasn't that bad, made some questionable decisions and doesn't have good breakouts, but that is expected.  Other than that, I thought he probably had one of his best games.  I thought Bratt had one of his worst games, which still is a lot better than some of the other players, but it seemed like he missed some prime chances.  Hall and Nico looked good.  I wish Hall had a little more gas left in the tank on that last 2 on 1.  Wood should just shoot on the penalty shot. 

Still don't seem to be generating enough powerplays. 

I actually drifted asleep when it was 4-3, woke up and it was 4-4, pleasant surprise.

10 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Miles Wood is such an infuriating player, all speed but nothing else, I've given him enough chances because he can cause some havoc with his speed but he can't play in our top 9. Give a shot to Quenneville or something instead, Wood just doesn't have the brain to play a meaningful role in the NHL.

I still like wood. I just wouldn't put him out during a 3 on 3 OT. Sometimes he gets moving so fast his brain doesn't keep up with the rest of the play. He gets tripped up over himself or something lol.

• Like 1

Just watching the highlights since I work early and wasn't planning on staying up late for these games I have to say all the Devils goals were the most NHL video game goals I ever seen. Two of the perfect rebound off the goalie to the other guy on the rush and bad clear and just get it on net before the goalie gets back.

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Hynes is mostly bald but he should stop shaving his head and just let whatever he had left grow in. His skin just doesn't take well to the razor and just seems so red and irritated. He doesn't pull off the bald look well.

I'm having flashbacks to Pepperkorn critiquing a coach's tie choices right now...

• Haha 1

My only gripe with the shootout is that Hall shouldn't have gone first.

I mean he was clearly winded on that 2 on 1, and I doubt he had much time to catch his breath before going on the shootout.. 

But either way, yeah 3 points on the road trip - can't complain.

12 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

I'm not "complaining" about Hall. I specifically said I was referring to two plays. 2. Hall has been unbelievable this year, and I agree with another poster saying he probably shouldn't have been used in the shootout at all. I was just disappointed he didn't convert on plays he absolutely has the ability to execute.

Todd Cordell also doesn't understand Miles Wood's strategy of 100mph during the game and 5mph on the penalty shot lol

"Miles Wood, my man. What is up with skating 100 miles per hour throughout the entirety of every game and coming in as slow as slow as a turtle on penalty shots? This is becoming a trend and I don't like it."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Devils-fall-to-Flames-in-eventful-Todd-Cordell-Bowl/159/88696 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I still like wood. I just wouldn't put him out during a 3 on 3 OT. Sometimes he gets moving so fast his brain doesn't keep up with the rest of the play. He gets tripped up over himself or something lol.

Miles Wood starts around 1:34. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

CD9, this team is a good bit different than last season's, and definitely more talented.  They obviously won't continue to rack up points at this rate (and guys like Gibbons will slow up) but I don't equate this start to the smoke-and-mirrors start of last season.  Last year's team benefitted from a soft early schedule and good puck luck.  This year's bunch isn't hoping that Henrique will score 30 goals again, or that an aging, very injury-prone and declining Cammalleri will somehow turn back the clock, or that a guy like DSP somehow extrapolates a freak surge into a full season's worth of production...not to mention there was no Nico, Bratt, or Butcher last year. The guys who were here last season are (thankfully, in some cases) not being asked to do more than they're capable.

I do think this team should contend for a playoff berth all season long...they'll slump at some point, but I can't see them struggle for so long that they suddenly become irrelevant.  You've mentioned that Palms and MoJo are out, which is hurting, but don't forget Zajac.  This team is doing a good job holding its own, and help is on the way.

The team is no doubt better than that team, but mentality and the psychological side of sport has a real impact . There were enough guys on last year's team for a drop in confidence to have a big effect. 

I just don't want the team to tighten up and start overthinking if they hit a bit of a rough patch, which they no doubt will.