GDT: 11/7/17 Blues @ NJ Devils

CommonDreads

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Zacha is by far the most disappointing part of this season, but let's not forget that he's only TWENTY years old. If you guys haven't remembered anything from your "trade Larsson for a bag of pucks" fiasco back in the day, it's that judging players at 20 years old is silly. 

I absolutely wanted to dump Larsson early on and I later realized and admitted that was a big mistake. 

This far, Zacha has shown me next to nothing. If there was a trade offer for a known quantity (perhaps a top-4 D man) and he was the asking price (or part of it), at this point I would probably trade him only because we have a lot of other young talent. 

That being said, I wouldn't be looking to move him just to cut bait and get rid of him. 

Palms back on the top line today, GREAT news. And Zacha was the extra forward. I see another message benching on the way. Also, note Severson... Still on the extra pair. Wonder if he gets sat again tomorrow.... https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisRyan_NJ/status/928315233696911360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23928315233696911360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Palms back on the top line today, GREAT news. And Zacha was the extra forward. I see another message benching on the way. https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisRyan_NJ/status/928315233696911360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23928315233696911360

I'm not really convinced all his hardships are due to a lack of effort. If that is the case the benching him wont help anything. It'll just hurt what little confidence he has left.

Dial up Bratt's sports psychologist...Zacha made some brilliant plays last season and he can do it again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lazer said:

jet lag; bouncing puck; injuries

game was close to 2-1 devils

on zacha, the talent is there, he watches to tentative

They said a bunch of times that the team took an early flight got home and got a good night's rest etc etc so the jet lag excuse is out. I agree on the latter two points and will even say the devils were better through the first 1.98 periods. They just completely sucked in the third.

I'm not really convinced all his hardships are due to a lack of effort. If that is the case the benching him wont help anything. It'll just hurt what little confidence he has left.
Dial up Bratt's sports psychologist...Zacha made some brilliant plays last season and he can do it again.

Sometimes it helps to just watch one from the press box. I'd have no issue with it.

Zacha + Severson for OEL? That enough?

No that wouldn't get it done when you consider what other teams would likely offer.

What’s OEL’s contract status? If it’s got some time left or an extension is included, I’d do that deal. 

I think he's a UFA in 2019.

This is a young team and they are going to have rough patches. The hot start was nice but the team needs to learn to get through slumps. This is good experience for a young team to work together. I love Hall stepping into a leadership role and his determination to get into the playoffs. 

As for Zacha, it takes time to develop. He's made some nice plays but seems to still lack confidence. The skills are there. I wouldn't give up on him yet but I wouldn't turn away a good offer of a defenseman either. 

Also a benching isn't always negative or harsh. A lot of time it's just a coach giving a little rest mentally or physically. 

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

...or maybe just try him at wing where he doesn't have as much responsibility.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nessus said:

But if you take a look at what Filip Zadina (who has a similar story with playing in Czech up until his draft year) is doing in Halifax now, you'll realize that we might have a problem here.

Zadina is more of a cerebral player to start with, not nearly as big. I'd like to go back and see Zacha's Czech junior play to figure out how much was size and how much was soft skill.

16 hours ago, Lateralous said:

...or maybe just try him at wing where he doesn't have as much responsibility.    

This is important. The pressure that weighed on AL when he kept getting benched just kept things snowballing in the wrong direction. The way to recover is to let them play their game/let them find their game without feeling like a dagger is hanging over their head every shift. He's 20 and its only his second full year. You can compare him to other players from his draft but at the end of the day he is still Pavel Zacha, playing on the Devils in this system with these other guys on the roster. 

there's been a bunch of games that Hayes has looked better than Zacha, honestly. 

It would be nice to see him with other players. It would also be nice to see him be the kind of player that elevates everyone else's game, rather than being one of the guys that needs a better player to elevate his game.