Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thecoffeecake

Is Phil Murphy a Devils fan?

Recommended Posts

As everyone knows, we have a new governor-elect ready to take office after the new year. Now, this is absolutely NOT A POLITICAL THREAD, and any opinions about Christie, Guadagno, Murphy, or God damn Brendan Byrne are for another part of this forum. 

However, an important question about our incoming governor is this: Is he a Devils fan? Whatever you liked or disliked about Christie, what everyone here can agree on is that it was disgusting that the executive of our state didn't support OUR cultural institutions, and was an open Rangers fan throughout his terms. Our last governor was part of a group that sought to buy the Nets to keep them here. Partisan politics aside, I expect our executive to stand behind our state's institutions.

I can't find anything on Murphy on this, but apparently he is involved with the ownership of Sky Blue FC. Anyone have any insight here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to assume, solely based on his Wall Street connection, that's he's a "suit" Ranger "fan" that will probably now support the Devils to garner whatever support from the state he will. Not meaning to sound facetious but that's the reality of politics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the candidates were asked the other day who their favorite sports teams are- Guadano said the Devils and Murphy said U.S. Men's Soccer.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Apparently the candidates were asked the other day who their favorite sports teams are- Guadano said the Devils and Murphy said U.S. Men's Soccer.

He was wearing a custom USMNT jacket outside the Hoboken PATH terminal yesterday.  I guess now that makes sense.  Unfortunately, there is no bigger embarrassment in sports right now than our national soccer team.

Murphy grew up in Mass.  If I had to guess, deep down he roots for the NE based teams, which is almost as bad as Christie rooting for the Cowboys and Rags. 

 

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who cares?

I mean its inconsequential in the overall scheme of things, but I'm not gonna lie- the governor of my state being a fvcking Rag fan pisses me off. fvck that sh!t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is he's really rich, really liberal, and really not right for New Jersey. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


I mean its inconsequential in the overall scheme of things, but I'm not gonna lie- the governor of my state being a fvcking Rag fan pisses me off. fvck that sh!t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much.  I mean, it probably wouldn’t be enough to influence my vote.... note “probably”not “definitely.”  

Kind of annoying that the guy is a carpetbagger, but whatevs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

All I know is he's really rich, really liberal, and really not right for New Jersey. 

 

And there it is. Only took a few posts before someone took it politically...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Murphy grew up in Mass.  If I had to guess, deep down he roots for the NE based teams, which is almost as bad as Christie rooting for the Cowboys and Rags. 

 

Its understandable to root for a team where you are originally from. If its the rival of a home team, at least tone it down and don't declare yourself their #1 cheerleader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devlman said:

And there it is. Only took a few posts before someone took it politically...

I was just quoting that exceptionally annoying commercial they kept airing during the games. Nothing political about it, I never even heard of him outside of those commercials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

All I know is he's really rich, really liberal, and really not right for New Jersey. 

30eEul4.gif

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

However, an important question about our incoming governor is this: Is he a Devils fan? Whatever you liked or disliked about Christie, what everyone here can agree on is that it was disgusting that the executive of our state didn't support OUR cultural institutions, and was an open Rangers fan throughout his terms.

JFC, does anybody else find this absolutely ridiculous?

These two things could not be any more unrelated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, devlman said:

And there it is. Only took a few posts before someone took it politically...

And you don't think the original post, as much as the poster tried to claim it wasn't, was not political in any way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Crisis said:

JFC, does anybody else find this absolutely ridiculous?

These two things could not be any more unrelated.

I find it ridiculous as well.  However seeing who posted it, I am not surprised either.

I really could give two sh!ts about what team our governor or any politician supports.  Christie was a Rangers fan but nothing he said or did affected the Devils in any negative fashion in the 8 years he has been in office.

In fact, if what sports team the politician follows factors even the slightest bit in your decision of who to vote for, you absolutely do not deserve to vote.  There are a million smart/valid reasons to vote for someone, and there are a million completely stupid reasons to vote for someone.  This is definitely the latter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate when politicians are asked about sports preferences. They always claim to be lifelong fans of X and then will proceed to show how they have absolutely no knowledge of any happenings within that franchise or the sport itself.

For these guys, politics is their sports

Edited by '7'
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Crisis said:

JFC, does anybody else find this absolutely ridiculous?

These two things could not be any more unrelated.

An executive of anywhere should absolutely be expected to unconditionally support their institutions. Would you not bat an eyelash if Trump showed up to the hockey World Cup in a Canada jersey, and said "well, there were no good Americans in the game when I grew up, I just always supported Canada"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

And you don't think the original post, as much as the poster tried to claim it wasn't, was not political in any way?

My statement was the alleged political statement. I was only mocking a stupid commercial. As I said I never even heard of the guy.

That being said, there are a whole bunch of people on this planet who look like they could possibly be part android, and that dude is on the list.

in terms of hockey people, don't even tell me Adam Oates doesn't look like he's part robot, pay Ray Liotta's long lost brother.

oates_adam640.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My statement was the alleged political statement. I was only mocking a stupid commercial. As I said I never even heard of the guy.

That being said, there are a whole bunch of people on this planet who look like they could possibly be part android, and that dude is on the list.

in terms of hockey people, don't even tell me Adam Oates doesn't look like he's part robot, pay Ray Liotta's long lost brother.

 

I know but the first post/topic of the entire thread is inherently political no matter how much the OP says he is not trying to be.  I don't think you did anything wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know but the first post/topic of the entire thread is inherently political no matter how much the OP says he is not trying to be.  I don't think you did anything wrong.

I appreciate the opinion. You are neither really rich, really liberal, nor the wrong choice for New Jersey, my man!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know but the first post/topic of the entire thread is inherently political no matter how much the OP says he is not trying to be.  I don't think you did anything wrong.

Oh please explain this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen, I didn't like that Christie was a Ranger fan, because you know that means he didn't come from a good home.

That said, I appreciated that he just admitted it...because it was the truth...rather than put a Devils jersey on for political gain. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Listen, I didn't like that Christie was a Ranger fan, because you know that means he didn't come from a good home.

That said, I appreciated that he just admitted it...because it was the truth...rather than put a Devils jersey on for political gain. 

See I prefer that. Use it for whatever you want, as long as our governor is openly supporting our only major professional franchise. It's what you do as a leader of a place. You fake a smile and represent yourself as being from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×