Shero Interview

LittleBallofHate

Wasn't sure where to put this so I'm giving it it's own topic. Shero spoke with The Sporting News and was quite candid (for a GM). 

Full article:  https://sports.yahoo.com/11-10-sn-exclusive-devils-184105734.html

Snippets: 

“I know we’ve got a ways to go, not just to get to Game 82 but over the course of the next two or three years. But this is really the start (of our build) I envisioned when I came here two years ago,” Shero told Sporting News in a recent interview. “This is turning. Both on and off the ice, this is turning. I feel it, I know it, I’ve been through this before. Whether you start 9-2 or .500, you do know and you believe it’s turning. It’s good for the players to have some success for how they’ve played and prepared in training camp.”

_____

During the offseason, the general manger took Hall to dinner. Over the course of four hours, he helped Hall work through it, playing the part of psychologist. Most of all, he made sure to underscore the point that Hall is a winner, that he has won before, two straight Memorial Cups with the Windsor Spitfires and two straight gold medals at the world championships.

“I was real honest with him. He’s an important player for us and his legacy is important to me I told him,” Shero recalled. “It really is. If he was in Edmonton last year, they would have made the playoffs and done what they did with him. If Adam Larsson was with us, we would have done what we did last season with him."

_____

Shero recalled another sixth-round pick who worked out well when he served as an assistant with the Senators. In 1994, the Senators selected Daniel Alfredsson 133rd overall. A little over a year later, Alfredsson put up 61 points in 82 games in his rookie season. The next year, the Senators were in the playoffs.

“It doesn’t happen often, but when it does you are so thrilled," Shero said. "That’s what you need to take a big step forward because it’s found money."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Great read, thanks for posting. I really love how Shero took the time to help build Hall back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shero really wants him long-term. We have him for a long time still, but I feel he’ll stick around with the direction we’re heading right now.

• Like 1

I'm going to throw this article under this topic, though it's mainly about Hall and how hard he worked this summer to get ready for this season. It's interesting anyway (or so I thought):

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/taylor-halls-winter-of-discontent-became-a-summer-of-reinvention-leading-to-this-seasons-rebirth/wcm/8b007cdc-31e6-4806-a314-ed9479f88264

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I'm going to throw this article under this topic, though it's mainly about Hall and how hard he worked this summer to get ready for this season. It's interesting anyway (or so I thought):

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/taylor-halls-winter-of-discontent-became-a-summer-of-reinvention-leading-to-this-seasons-rebirth/wcm/8b007cdc-31e6-4806-a314-ed9479f88264

Kind of interesting when the stuff you speculate that a particular player might be feeling actually turns out to be in the ballpark of what he's actually feeling. 

Glad Hall has been able to turn the page and is in a better place, and kudos to Shero for helping him get there.