Gibbons emerges as a scoring threat

MadDog2020

Has there been someone in recent memory who was a career AHLer who became a productive NHL player for a sustained period of time (say around five years) at age 29?  And by productive, I mean someone who is at least marginally above replacement level and could put up around 25 to 30 points a season.

Edited by Daniel

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Has there been someone in recent memory who was a career AHLer who became a productive NHL player for a sustained period of time (say around five years) at age 29?  And by productive, I mean someone who is at least marginally above replacement level and could put up around 25 to 30 points a season.

And keep in mind that Gibby was never a guy who tore up the AHL...there's plenty of guys who've done that, and never enjoyed a 23-game stretch like Gibby's had. 

I just took a quick gander, and there's some late-bloomer types who came over here from overseas in their late 20s and had success...Mark Streit was 28, and Johan Franzen was 26 (but hit his stride at 28).  But there's other guys like them for sure.  A career meh AHLer suddenly figuring things out at 29 and becoming BETTER at the NHL level...no one in particular is coming to mind. 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Of course Gibbons could be running on an insane luck. But I'm sure Hynes has something to do with this to some extend.

Also it's worth mentioning that he scored 11 goals and that one of them was a 3 on 5 shorthanded goal lol That's somethin'

And a penalty shot goal.  

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Gibbons wasn't a career AHLer though, he got an extended shot with 2 other teams before this to stick in the NHL.    

Gibbons is 29 going on 30, Joel Ward was 27 going on 28 when he got his first extended chance in the NHL.  Derek Ryan was 29 before getting his opportunity.  Part of the reason that there's so few people who fit these criteria is that there just aren't a lot of players who stay in North America who are this old and who get another extended chance.